Suggestions For Adhesive-Backed Heat Insulation For Underside of Hood

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
I want to install some insulation pieces on the bottom side of my hood and trunk lid, like the example shown in the photo below. Looking for suggestions on a product that works well and doesn't fall off when it gets hot. Either black or maybe foil faced if it's durable.
PS... I'm not looking to use a full insulation pad that covers everything...

hood.jpg

Here's a photo of my hood
hood2.jpg

Thanks,

Doug

Removable insulation makes servicing the hood medallion seals a lot easier. Ungluing anything is never easy.

Givin' a bump for the late afternoon/evening crowd. I have done some searching and found some stuff that at least LOOKS pretty good to me, but it's always hard to say without trying it out, or getting referrals form others who have used a product. I will probably buy some of this if I don't get any other solid leads and see what happens...
I figure I've spent worse money on schidt that don't work out!

Heat Shield Barrier Aluminum-Fiberglass w/ adhesive layer- Professional 12"x39" | eBay

heatshield.jpg

I used the fatmat rattle trap *** for mine, rolled on easy and covered all of it even the braces. Can take a pic if you want, alot cheaper then the boom mat I think, I covered pretty much the whole inside with this stuff and inside the door panels outer door skins.

I used the fatmat rattle trap *** for mine, rolled on easy and covered all of it even the braces. Can take a pic if you want, alot cheaper then the boom mat I think, I covered pretty much the whole inside with this stuff and inside the door panels outer door skins.
I would like to see pics if you don`t mind.
Thanks Mike

Interesting. I am thinking this for trunk lid. You do not have any problem with it coming loose from the heat?

Nope, did my trunk to, it's been out in my garage when we had 100 degree outside and the garage gets pretty hot out there, never came off, I used this on the whole floor, roofor, hood, trunk floor and lid.

Nope, did my trunk to, it's been out in my garage when we had 100 degree outside and the garage gets pretty hot out there, never came off, I used this on the whole floor, roofor, hood, trunk floor and lid.

This type of material still transfers the heat through it. It's primary function is to dampen panel resonation. It just takes longer for it to heat up and pass the heat through.

Most of the other materials that reject heat use adhesives that are weakened when heated. Check over at Aircraft Spruce for what you are looking for. They have some of the best stuff available for heat rejection.

Well this is from them:
Rattle Trap is an 80 mil product that up until this point was simply a thicker mat making it possible to almost add 2 layers of FatMat with just one install, the results of this is 3 X's the effectiveness. Anyone with serious Rattles, Road Noise or a Loud Exhaust are urged to use Rattle Trap! Also we suggest Rattle Trap for customers with large audio systems simply because it can allow you to gain massive bass and extremely terrific sound quality. Although FatMat has great insulating properties Rattle Trap is a superior choice to stop heat transmitting through the floor or firewall. And Rattle Trap now is coated with a patented super stick formula that raises it's adhesion properties above and beyond any other sound dampener in the industry. It's simple, if you ask any other manufacture or seller of sound dampening products if they have a products that sticks as well as Rattle Trap Super Stick the answer is no, and if it isn't you just got lied to so beware!

The original fatmat was for the sound, this one the *** is a heat insulation as well. No doubt aircraft grade stuff is probably very good.

Just following up... I ended up buying the heat shield barrier I listed a link to in post #4 and I think it will work out out great. (time will tell)
I got the pieces cut and just sitting in place right now but here's some photos. It's got a high heat rating and the adhesive seems really good from what I can see. I am happy with the way it looks, even if it's not a factory-correct thing. It's what I envisioned.

Here's the link again: I bought 3 linear feet of it at 39 inches wide and should have just enough to do the trunk lid as well.
Heat Shield Barrier Aluminum-Fiberglass w/ adhesive layer- Professional 12"x39" | eBay

IMG_20170418_191222799.jpg

IMG_20170418_191256803.jpg

IMG_20170418_191314607.jpg

Were the original type fiberglas hood liners more for sound deadening? Or for heat insulation?
Just curious, what are you trying to accomplish? Stopping engine heat from cooking the paint on top of the hood? Or for sound insulation / barrier?
It looks great, just wondering about the purpose.

Were the original type fiberglas hood liners more for sound deadening? Or for heat insulation?
Just curious, what are you trying to accomplish? Stopping engine heat from cooking the paint on top of the hood? Or for sound insulation / barrier?
It looks great, just wondering about the purpose.

Sound deadening, rattle reducing & heat protection for the paint job, hopefully with making it look bad...

-
Back