Suggestions to reduce rust on water pump bolts?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installing a new water pump today on my 71 Duster & would like to do something to reduce corrosion on bolts. When I removed the old waterpump - one bolt was rusted stuck. I think the corrosion was on the bolt above the threads where it passed thru the water pump. Is wheel bearing grease as good as anything on the bolts when I re-install?

Use a decent brand of anti-seize..... usually come's in a small plastic container with a brush. Permatex make's it, and several other's too. After wire wheeling the bolt's and thread's clean, just brush some anti-seize to the thread's and the bolt shank. Does not have to to put on heavy, just a liberal coat, and you will never have a problem with removing those bolt's again. Good luck.

I agree never seize is the way to go. Watch it though a little dab on your hand will get everywhere. Lol.

I agree never seize is the way to go. Watch it though a little dab on your hand will get everywhere. Lol.

Like my brother says, "you get a little on the sole of your shoe, and the next thing you know it's in your hair" :D

Thanks so much- I'll certainly follow that advice. I was very lucky to get the bolts out - stripped the head off of one bolt and I don't want to repeat that experience in the future.

Antisieze all external engine fasteners.

Installing a new water pump today on my 71 Duster & would like to do something to reduce corrosion on bolts. When I removed the old waterpump - one bolt was rusted stuck. I think the corrosion was on the bolt above the threads where it passed thru the water pump. Is wheel bearing grease as good as anything on the bolts when I re-install?

So, one bolt was rusted stuck. I'm sort of assuming that this was a thread problem, but then you mentioned the bolt was rusted above the threads where it passed through the water pump...? Well, anyway.....I would paint the unthreaded length of those long bolts (new ones) with Rustoleum brown and do that liquid teflon sealer on the threads.

-
Back