and none work well in a low compression build
his duration is well under 190 now
note the 260 crane user above
op
get your ride reliable trans etc b 4 spending on the motor just get it running
a 360 with the stock cam will be amazing compared to what you had
pick a part has 40% off coming up
get a a999 core and build that

C130 Chief, that was the original plan but I couldn't really find an exact match that wasn't pretty steeply priced, hence why I chose the original options from Summit due to their similar specs. I completely agree on the rest of your post, and that's really the goal. I didn't get to drive her much last summer and want to change that this year.

After contemplating and reading over all of your responses a few times, at this point I'm thinking maybe spend the money getting new springs and such to have the heads ready for a cam swap later down the line, especially since the summer will bring in a bit more cash flow. Possibly try some light porting myself before I send out the heads as well. That said, any good recommendations for springs? I will admit I don't know a whole lot about valve spring ratings and such, so any advice is more than welcome. Also, not costing an arm and a leg is still of pretty high importance, but I'm willing to spend maybe a little more here so I don't have to later. Any other recommendations as far as head work and such would be greatly appreciated, you have all been very helpful so far! :thankyou: I'll be back home tomorrow as well so I can check my head casting numbers to make sure they're worth the work, although I'll probably still use them whether they are or not lol.

You will have to match the springs to the cam and it depends on the heads you are using them on but basically under .500 lift can use a single spring such as the cheap Comp and anything over .500 need double springs. A lot of guys use the Hughes 1110's. The cam manufacturer can recommend what spring pressure you will need. You may also need some minor head machining done to accommodate your spring choice.

So we've got a little change of plans. I popped the heads off this weekend and it looks like the bottom end is junk. Cylinders are super rusty and the pistons won't move much without excessive force, even after letting the motor sit with oil in the cylinders for a week. We knew it didn't turn much when we bought it, but at the end of the day it was still super cheap and we figured it would free up after letting it sit with the oil. Although I don't think I will be able to get it done for this summer anymore as planned, I still think this is a good opportunity for me and my buddies to really dig into a motor and do our first complete rebuild.

With that said, I have some new questions, beginning with how cheap can I get away with a rebuild? Ideally I'd reuse everything possible, but if that's not feasible, I understand. I also understand that I don't want to go completely cheap and put some money in good parts, but I also want to keep this pretty budget friendly. I found some rebuild kits from Mancini that aren't ridiculously expensive, are those any good? One of them even comes with pistons, so that may be helpful if that's necessary. I figure I'll probably need to get the crank cleaned up somehow too? I've never really thought beyond a cam swap before, so this is all gonna be really new to me. Any advice, words of wisdom, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

I guess this means I can broaden my cam choices a little though too lol

So we've got a little change of plans. I popped the heads off this weekend and it looks like the bottom end is junk. Cylinders are super rusty and the pistons won't move much without excessive force, even after letting the motor sit with oil in the cylinders for a week. We knew it didn't turn much when we bought it, but at the end of the day it was still super cheap and we figured it would free up after letting it sit with the oil. Although I don't think I will be able to get it done for this summer anymore as planned, I still think this is a good opportunity for me and my buddies to really dig into a motor and do our first complete rebuild.

With that said, I have some new questions, beginning with how cheap can I get away with a rebuild? Ideally I'd reuse everything possible, but if that's not feasible, I understand. I also understand that I don't want to go completely cheap and put some money in good parts, but I also want to keep this pretty budget friendly. I found some rebuild kits from Mancini that aren't ridiculously expensive, are those any good? One of them even comes with pistons, so that may be helpful if that's necessary. I figure I'll probably need to get the crank cleaned up somehow too? I've never really thought beyond a cam swap before, so this is all gonna be really new to me. Any advice, words of wisdom, or ideas are greatly appreciated.

I guess this means I can broaden my cam choices a little though too lol

You need reasonable expectations and a reasonable budget. Just "getting by" is a waste of money. It's almost always a double spend, meaning you'll do it again, and much sooner than later.

If the cylinder walls are junk, you know it needs to be bored. That's pistons and rings. If the cylinder walls are in that shape, you can bet the valves are junk, the valve springs are junk, the damper is junk (they always are after that many years...if it is the OE damper...if it's been replaced then it needs to be looked over very close), you'll need rod and main bearings, cam bearings, a gasket set and an oil pump.

The rods will need to be rebuilt, the block should be decked (skipping this makes no sense...the decks are never flat or square but atleast get them flat so the head gaskets have a fighting chance to seal) and for sure, the main line isn't straight and the holes won't be round.

Not to harsh your buzz, but this is just the reality of the situation.

If you want something reliable you'll need to do the work. Doesn't mean you need a set of forged Pistons (you probably don't and there is nothing' wrong with cast Pistons) or aftermarket rods. Rebuild what you have with a decent bolt (don't need the ARP wave lock bolts...I hate those things) and you don't need a stroke risk crank. Grind what you have.

Same with the heads. Replacement quality valves are relatively cheap. Unless the valves are in pristine shape (the stems wear out long before the valve face does) just replace them. Ditto on the valve springs. Who knows how many miles are on them, and they are a consumable part.

Replacement rockers and shafts are also relatively cheap. Most likely, unless you are lucky (I am not) the shafts and rockers are used up. Unless they have been replaced in the past.

My point is you shouldn't skimp on machine work. Get the round stuff round, the flat stuff flat and straight and then you will have a stable foundation to work from.

Then pick your parts accordingly. Cast Pistons, a relatively inexpensive set of rings (I'm not a fan of moly rings but that's just me) a Summit cam if that's what you want, a rebuilders gasket set...it all adds up but it's cheaper to do it correct once than to do it twice.

Depending on your goals and budget you could build a decent Magnum 5.9 engine relatively cheap. If you find a low mileage motor that has good bores (most do), you could just add cam, pan, intake and heads and have a 9:2 great runner with plenty of power. Lots of great info here and on Magnumswap.com - Your source for Dodge Magnum and Mopar engine swap tech.. Now you may want to build your own LA which is a gives you lots of satisfaction and the learning experience. Nothing wrong with that but it will eat into the budget with the required machine work. You could also purchase a new short block and go from there. Check our member/sponsor Blueprint engines for
that. Having the time to research and plan your options now works in your favor.
Good luck.

Hey OP, sorry to hear about the engine condition. It you are doing that LA engine, then I looked at the Mancini kits and am not all that impressed. The only one with pistons has cast pistons from Sealed Power; those are probably low compression like you have. Plus if you pick your parts, then you can get better things like thinner head gaskets than the thicker, compression-reducing head gaskets in the standard kits.

As said, count on the bores needing to be rebored for oversize.

Crank should be inspected and measured.. .may be OK, may be not.

For your 'driving-around' use, and with a budget, I personally would not pay to re-condition the rods. It is likely not going to be any issue if you are not leaning on the engine all the time.

I would recommend you look seriously at these pistons: H116CP.
Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons H116CP 30
Stock weight so no re-balance of the crank is needed.

Use these, mill heads .030", and use Felpro 1008 head gaskets, and your static CR has jumped form right a 8.0 to 9.5.... now you can use those cams you listed up front without dumping the low RPM torque. You now have ALL sorts of flexibility in cam selection.

Bottom line: That one parts change, the pistons, just moved you into a much better performance range. It is not a cheap bullet to bite off if you are on a budget.

The suggestion of good used Magnum engine is sounding like an option worth exploring right now. Better compression ratio right off the bat,

and with your tight budget just manifold and carb and timing chain
hold off on the heads and cam
just get it going
don't get in over your head

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! College is kicking me out of the apartment at the end of this week due to this dumb virus craze so I guess I may get more time with the motor in coming weeks. I'll probably focus on getting it torn the rest of the way down and then shift focus to keeping the current drivetrain alive/prepared for this summer while I think about what all parts I want to throw on the 360. As for the Magnum suggestion, as much as I love Magnums, I want to keep an LA in the Dart. Both because I like keeping it all old school, and putting a Magnum in it would render useless the over $1k I've spent over the years on intake, carb, headers, valve covers, etc. for the LA. I think building this will also be a pretty valuable experience too, both for me and my buddies who are just as eager as I am to start digging deeper into our sh*tboxes. If I really want to play with a Magnum (which I do eventually), I have my truck to mess with lol.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more question as I progress, so thanks in advance for whenever those come. I can't thank you all enough for all the advice thus far! :thankyou:

Wonder how this turned out. Another case of “we got us a runner” and poof he was gone!:rolleyes:

Wyrmrider hasn't posted in awhile .I hope everything is ok.

-
Back