Summit Headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust in '68 A-body w 5.9 Magnum

-

jbc426

Reaction score
Best bang for the buck going. I bought the Summit small block headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust kit for my '68 Barracuda. This was a slant 6 car and I'm putting in a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 with EFI and serpentine belt set-up. I used the Shumacher engine mounts and the Milodon low profile pan.

The headers were really inexpensive for the quality they are. They arrived with black paint on them, which I wiped off with laquer thinner. I then bead blasted them sprayed them off with brake cleaner and painted them with two cans of VHT black high temp paint.

They have to be laid into the engine compartment and wired up while the engine is being installed. The only place I had to dent them was where the driver's side slightly touched the oil pan (the pan has kick outs) a stock type pan would have no issues. They don't hit anywhere else, but do come close to the bump on the side of the block that a lot of people talk about grinding off. I guess its part of anther engine mounting boss or something. Mine cleared and I didn't do any grinding. I have power steering too and everything clears. Great headers for the price!!

I gambled and ordered the Summit 2 1/2 " dual exhaust with turbo mufflers even though they are designed to fit different headers. The driver's side went right in perfectly just like it was made for it. I did have to cut a 4 inch first section out of the passenger side pipe that hooks to the collector flange. I used a coupler to reconnect the cut ends. My gamble paid off. Other than that little modification, it fit like a glove. I did buy some cheap exhaust tips from Oriely's and tack welded them on to finish up the tail pipes after I cut off about 10" of the end of the pipes.

I'm impressed with the quality and fittment of the Summit brand stuff. For just about $360 delivered, I got a complete header and 2 1/2" dual turbo muffler exhaust AND all the mounting hardware and hagers! Plus, it's all made in the USA. It looks like it was custom made for my old small block powered 68 Barracuda. I though I would post this in case anyone finds it useful. I'll post some pics in a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3250 (Large).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • IMG_3248 (Large).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,501
  • IMG_3247 (Large).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_3246 (Large).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,078
  • IMG_3244 (Large).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • IMG_3243 (Large).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_3242 (Large).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 989
Nice Job!! I put the Jegs 2.5 kit on my Duster last year, prolly the same kit as the Summit one, I ordered mine without the turbo's I got a set of dual chambered Big Boar mufflers, off Ebag, I like your fuel injection, that thing must run real sweet, what cam do you have in it??

Nice Job!! I put the Jegs 2.5 kit on my Duster last year, prolly the same kit as the Summit one, I ordered mine without the turbo's I got a set of dual chambered Big Boar mufflers, off Ebag, I like your fuel injection, that thing must run real sweet, what cam do you have in it??

Thanks, but I don't have it running yet. Still working on putting in the fuel system and have to finish up the wiring etc. I had Hughes recommend a cam for my set-up. This is the link to the cam.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...1418aln-10&searchmode=partnumber&partid=26506

do you have part #s for the headers and the exhaust?

Headers = SUM-G9040
2.5 exhaust with turbo mufflers = SUM-680144

I also bought some tips and one small 2 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch coupler for a few bucks at a local auto parts store.

I also did the similar set up with the recommended Hooker headers to mate with the exhaust kit. Hookers are a little more For no better fit. No mods to it though. Nice job!

How is the ground clearance with those headers? I can't really tell much by looking at the pictures (looks nice tho!) since it is on jack stands.

The reason I ask is cuz ground clearance is a concern for me as my car rides low, which I like.

On the spendy headers, (TTI) they are routed above the steering mechanism which is great for ground clearance.

Thanks for posting the pics

Mark

-
Back