TTI headers and 3" summit exhaust

-

roey94

Reaction score
Has anyone used TTI headers with the summit 3" exhaust? If so how hard were they to make fit to the collector? How was the fitment going out back? I am going to be be installing it on a 68 barracuda with a Dana 60 and stock fuel tank location. Thanks!

good luck it will very tight under the best circumstances let alone using a generic exhaust system never know till you try hope you have a car lift

good luck it will very tight under the best circumstances let alone using a generic exhaust system never know till you try hope you have a car lift
I put a TTI full system from headers back in a different car and definitely get how tight the clearance is on that. I decided when I bought this kit a while ago I would.try cheap and I guess we shall see how much I'll regret it. I do have a hoist in my garage so I'm lucky with that

20171008_165143.jpg

I used the jegs 3" mandrel system for a bodies. Fit fine. Pipe is close to driveline on pass side where it bends to the muffler, but this is partially my fault, no interference and the driveline comes out fine... so dont sweat it. I had to cut the over axle at angle so they would get around and into the muffler, once in the adjusted and tacked in place perfect.
I think tti stuff is overpriced... why do $600 pipes that are tight when you can get them for 255.00 and be in the same spot...

I used the 3" summit exhaust kit with my tti headers and was very pleased. It is tight over the axle ( I have a 8.75 ) but fits nicely overall.

I used the jegs 3" mandrel system for a bodies. Fit fine. Pipe is close to driveline on pass side where it bends to the muffler, but this is partially my fault, no interference and the driveline comes out fine... so dont sweat it. I had to cut the over axle at angle so they would get around and into the muffler, once in the adjusted and tacked in place perfect.
I think tti stuff is overpriced... why do $600 pipes that are tight when you can get them for 255.00 and be in the same spot...

If i have to explain it you will probably not understand it anyway,just wrap your head around what makes a product cost money for a while and you may figure it out for yourself.

If i have to explain it you will probably not understand it anyway,just wrap your head around what makes a product cost money for a while and you may figure it out for yourself.
Must have mustard up some feelings..?
Your money. Spend it how ya want and I'll do the same.

Must have mustard up some feelings..?
Your money. Spend it how ya want and I'll do the same.
Not realy,just stating the obvious here.
Of course you should spend your money on the product that you think is right for you,just saying that you are comparing apples to oranges while pretending that you are comparing two equal products.

Has anyone used TTI headers with the summit 3" exhaust? If so how hard were they to make fit to the collector? How was the fitment going out back? I am going to be be installing it on a 68 barracuda with a Dana 60 and stock fuel tank location. Thanks!

Have not experience with the combination,but when mixing one brands headers are another brands headerback system i would start from the back when installing the exhast to make everything sit where its supposed to be under the car losely and then adjust the front pipesections to fit, going from the front to back when the parts dont match right may create more problems along the way where you end up having to adjust all pieces and still end up with a terrible fit instead of a great fit with just a few cuts and welds at the front.
Just have patience,measure twice and if you have to cut twice better to cut alitle to little than to much.

Of course you should spend your money on the product that you think is right for you,just saying that you are comparing apples to oranges while pretending that you are comparing two equal products.
Okay, fair enough.. let's make sure we're both talking about the same thing here...
I have the tti step headers raw and the jegs 3" mandrel pipes w/dynomax ultras.
All I'm missing from the equation is stainless pipes instead and a coating that goes to **** after some years...meanwhile 'and I live by the beach'...which can erode anything after some time....Last jegs exhaust kit I bought 2 1/2" lasted the 16 years I needed it, till I up'd CID and needed bigger..so I straight cut'em at the axles and sold them for 100.00 to a guy who used them on a 57' belair.
I beleive the jegs pipes are functionally equal to the tii pipes. Imo The tti finish looks nicer if you show the bottom of your car off... for longer, but eventually erode and you cant keep mud, dirt, road scuz off off them...it burns on.

16 yrs ain't bad.

Have not experience with the combination,but when mixing one brands headers are another brands headerback system i would start from the back when installing the exhast to make everything sit where its supposed to be under the car losely and then adjust the front pipesections to fit, going from the front to back when the parts dont match right may create more problems along the way where you end up having to adjust all pieces and still end up with a terrible fit instead of a great fit with just a few cuts and welds at the front.
Just have patience,measure twice and if you have to cut twice better to cut alitle to little than to much.

So, you think you have to spend a ton of money to get good parts. And, you think that spending a ton of money on a part somehow guarantees that you actually get a better part. Oh, and also that someone that doesn't want to waste a bunch of money on a part that's ridiculously overpriced won't understand your explanation? Gimme a break.

TTI's stuff is overpriced for their quality. I've bought TTI's, I've bought Doug's, and side by side the Doug's are much nicer parts. They usually also cost less than the similar TTI made part. TTI's exhaust kits are nice, but let's face it, they're just aluminized exhaust tube. So are Summit's.

I have a couple of the Summit complete exhaust kits, although both my A-body kits are 2.5". They're great kits. They fit well and are well made, and in my opinion they're a steal at the price they're sold at. On my Duster I matched the Summit 2.5" kit to a set of Doug's headers. I made a couple of small modifications to the Summit pipes, but all that consisted of was shortening a few of the pipes by cutting a little off the ends to tuck the pipes up where I wanted them to go. Not really surprising since it's the same kit for the 111" wheel base cars and my Duster is 108". One round of testing fitting and then assembly, piece of cake.

Now, the Summit kit does not include a crossover, so, no "H" or "X" like the TTI's. And of course the hangers included are not OE style. But for about a $500 difference I'm sure you can come up with OE hangers and a crossover pipe and still be money ahead. Just sayin.

Okay, fair enough.. let's make sure we're both talking about the same thing here...
I have the tti step headers raw and the jegs 3" mandrel pipes w/dynomax ultras.
All I'm missing from the equation is stainless pipes instead and a coating that goes to **** after some years...meanwhile 'and I live by the beach'...which can erode anything after some time....Last jegs exhaust kit I bought 2 1/2" lasted the 16 years I needed it, till I up'd CID and needed bigger..so I straight cut'em at the axles and sold them for 100.00 to a guy who used them on a 57' belair.
I beleive the jegs pipes are functionally equal to the tii pipes. Imo The tti finish looks nicer if you show the bottom of your car off... for longer, but eventually erode and you cant keep mud, dirt, road scuz off off them...it burns on.

16 yrs ain't bad.

Its a apples to oranges comparison regarding the headerback systems,material is what it is,but comparing the systems themselfs the difference is huge,in manufacturing/development the cost per improvement is one of those slopes that gets steeper for every step. The crossover/x-pipe cost more to manufacture,making the system out of fewer parts cost more,creating tailpipes that are oversized but still sort of follow the stock routing cost more than the much simpler design of the JEGS/Summit/hearthrob sytems(unless the first manufacturer has already got burned by one of the big two who might just have got someone in asia to copy the original design) The hangers are far supperior in design and construction and due to their much smaller manufacturing volumes cost alot more than the universal stuff found in the cheaper systems,then we can not forget that the larger sections also require larger boxes and storage volume and how the more expensive system gets much more expensive due to the smaller volumes sold due to the higher price to make all those small differences.

Believe me i dont have a problem with the cheaper systems but im more than aware of the reason why some parts are more expensive and having some basic knowledge regarding manufacturing is enough to understand the difference.
Regarding the stainless cheap systems,they are usualy made out of 409steel that is a lowgrade stainless far from the quality we all know from 304,316 or better grades of stainless steel.
Also 409 tubing is probably cheaper to buy than aluminized tubing(dont know for sure but it used to be cheaper due to the volumes of tubing manufactured for among other things OEM exhausts) and is actualy a nicer steel to bend than the aluminized stuff that is horrible to mandrelbend but i suspect that TTI stays with the aluminized stuff due to it most of the time staying nicer looking for longer than the 409 that tend to get stained quite quick even thought it takes mucg longer to actualy rot.

So, you think you have to spend a ton of money to get good parts. And, you think that spending a ton of money on a part somehow guarantees that you actually get a better part. Oh, and also that someone that doesn't want to waste a bunch of money on a part that's ridiculously overpriced won't understand your explanation? Gimme a break.

TTI's stuff is overpriced for their quality. I've bought TTI's, I've bought Doug's, and side by side the Doug's are much nicer parts. They usually also cost less than the similar TTI made part. TTI's exhaust kits are nice, but let's face it, they're just aluminized exhaust tube. So are Summit's.

I have a couple of the Summit complete exhaust kits, although both my A-body kits are 2.5". They're great kits. They fit well and are well made, and in my opinion they're a steal at the price they're sold at. On my Duster I matched the Summit 2.5" kit to a set of Doug's headers. I made a couple of small modifications to the Summit pipes, but all that consisted of was shortening a few of the pipes by cutting a little off the ends to tuck the pipes up where I wanted them to go. Not really surprising since it's the same kit for the 111" wheel base cars and my Duster is 108". One round of testing fitting and then assembly, piece of cake.

Now, the Summit kit does not include a crossover, so, no "H" or "X" like the TTI's. And of course the hangers included are not OE style. But for about a $500 difference I'm sure you can come up with OE hangers and a crossover pipe and still be money ahead. Just sayin.

Im not stupid,neither am i saying that someone should buy something that is not what they are asking for or want, like most others im far from perfect and have done alot of misstakes i have also over the years i worked with exhuasts helped alot of customers to save a whole lot of money by listening to what they wanted to do and many times i found solutions that where cheaper,simpler and a whole lot better than the customers original idea,i also learned to see the differences between products and have more than a basic undertanding of why things cost more or less to manufacture as you may see in my my post above.

Regarding Dougs headers,i cant remember looking over a set of them first hand but the design looks good,they seem to get good reviews and the price difference to TTI is probably mostly due to both volumes of the actual design aswell as the bigger total production volumes from the manufacturers.

I dont mind any of the manufacturers,could not care any less about people choices as long as people get happy by buying the parts they like the best just protesting the failure to acnowledge the huge difference betwen the actual options.

Its a apples to oranges comparison regarding the headerback systems,material is what it is,but comparing the systems themselfs the difference is huge,in manufacturing/development the cost per improvement is one of those slopes that gets steeper for every step. The crossover/x-pipe cost more to manufacture,making the system out of fewer parts cost more,creating tailpipes that are oversized but still sort of follow the stock routing cost more than the much simpler design of the JEGS/Summit/hearthrob sytems(unless the first manufacturer has already got burned by one of the big two who might just have got someone in asia to copy the original design) The hangers are far supperior in design and construction and due to their much smaller manufacturing volumes cost alot more than the universal stuff found in the cheaper systems,then we can not forget that the larger sections also require larger boxes and storage volume and how the more expensive system gets much more expensive due to the smaller volumes sold due to the higher price to make all those small differences.

Believe me i dont have a problem with the cheaper systems but im more than aware of the reason why some parts are more expensive and having some basic knowledge regarding manufacturing is enough to understand the difference.
Regarding the stainless cheap systems,they are usualy made out of 409steel that is a lowgrade stainless far from the quality we all know from 304,316 or better grades of stainless steel.
Also 409 tubing is probably cheaper to buy than aluminized tubing(dont know for sure but it used to be cheaper due to the volumes of tubing manufactured for among other things OEM exhausts) and is actualy a nicer steel to bend than the aluminized stuff that is horrible to mandrelbend but i suspect that TTI stays with the aluminized stuff due to it most of the time staying nicer looking for longer than the 409 that tend to get stained quite quick even thought it takes mucg longer to actualy rot.

Im not stupid,neither am i saying that someone should buy something that is not what they are asking for or want, like most others im far from perfect and have done alot of misstakes i have also over the years i worked with exhuasts helped alot of customers to save a whole lot of money by listening to what they wanted to do and many times i found solutions that where cheaper,simpler and a whole lot better than the customers original idea,i also learned to see the differences between products and have more than a basic undertanding of why things cost more or less to manufacture as you may see in my my post above.

Regarding Dougs headers,i cant remember looking over a set of them first hand but the design looks good,they seem to get good reviews and the price difference to TTI is probably mostly due to both volumes of the actual design aswell as the bigger total production volumes from the manufacturers.

I dont mind any of the manufacturers,could not care any less about people choices as long as people get happy by buying the parts they like the best just protesting the failure to acnowledge the huge difference betwen the actual options.
Long winded saying the same over and over.

Unless you work for tti, that would explain a lot, you really have no idea. I respect your opinion, but dont agree.
You dont have a jegs system, you dont know how it fits...obviously you aren't aware of the hardware that comes with then or the extra cross pupe,x or H, you can buy or add extra.

The pipes come out where they need and should come out, these cars didnt get 3" pipes factory and the factory hangers comparison is moot imo.

We can keep going back and forth with our opinions hoping people will take them as law or we can leave it where it should be and let others decide ....since we have already said plenty on the subject!

Long winded saying the same over and over.

Unless you work for tti, that would explain a lot, you really have no idea. I respect your opinion, but dont agree.
You dont have a jegs system, you dont know how it fits...obviously you aren't aware of the hardware that comes with then or the extra cross pupe,x or H, you can buy or add extra.

The pipes come out where they need and should come out, these cars didnt get 3" pipes factory and the factory hangers comparison is moot imo.

We can keep going back and forth with our opinions hoping people will take them as law or we can leave it where it should be and let others decide ....since we have already said plenty on the subject!

I certainly do not work for TTI.
I do have an idea and you should to if you have actualy looked at both,it does not require more than a few seconds even looking at pictures,even stewie wonder should be able to see the difference. since those systems are not even remotely close neither in design,routing or in the hardware,i never said anything regarding how they fit.The only similarity is that they all route exhaust gases from alitle forward of the torsionbar crossmember to somwhere close to the bumper.

This is not opinion its fact.
Here comes a couple links where you can take a look at pictures,not extremely detailed but certainly good enough for the purpose.

A Jegs system:
Jegs 2 1/2" exhaust reference pics
There is actaualy one thing about that system that i find superior to TTI´s design that is also present on Flowmasters offering for our cars, im sure you can figure out what that detail is with your grand knowledge,i will give you a couple tries to figure it out if you want to play that game.
Certainly not a bad system just cheaper and has a whole lot less finese to it compared to others but still does its job well as many owners know. i would be surprised if they are still made in USA for that price but still good.

A TTI exhaust for an abody with an H-pipe if you scroll down alitle
TTI Exhaust System | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums
Much different.

A Pypes system with an X-Pipe.
67-73 Mopar A-Body 2.5" Crossmember Back w/ X-Pipe System SMA10
Also a whole lot different.

And a and offering from Flowmaster that sadly seems to be alitle forgotten.
https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/...&year1=1968&model=300&submodel=78&engine=5353

I realy like this one actualy,darn shame im not a big fan of X or H pipes and certainly not a fan of flowmasters mufflers. But the tubing is routed very differently and i like the hangers.

As i have said in the past,its up to anyone to pick the system they like the best im not promoting any of them over another in general but they are all very different and its reflected in the price and thats not opinion that is fact.

Like a wall....
You can lead a blind horse to water but you cant force it to drink is an old saying.

Either you are just here to stir **** or you are truely clueless and or possibly blind.

Last edited:
You can lead a blind horse to water but you cant force it to drink is an old saying.

Either you are just here to stir **** or you are truely clueless and or possibly blind.
I'm neither. And if anyone thi ke they dont have to cut and fiddle and exhaust system...then they are true novices and not seasoned mechanics such as myself. You are the one who's stirring with having to have the last word...and I have already said this.
I wasnt even talking restoration, if that's where you're going... you've wasted mine and your time.

Crazy... I had you ignore once before, why did I ever take you off...

Yep,
I did a thread on exactly this combo. I have posted the link below. TTI headers, 3" $159.00 universal kit and $29.00 Summit Mufflers.

My $210.00 3 Inch Exhaust System
You sure did.. and really butchered your exhaust. Frankenstein exhaust...Stupid as can be to run the pipes under the tank, now captured by them. imo And hey man... I dont mean to be so rude, I probably sound mean...sorry, but I have to be honest.
I'm not here to

Some are handy with a sawzaw and welder...some arent.

I'm done, unsubscribing, the question was anyone use summit pipes with tti's...
answer= YES... and they will work together. Ps, skip the summit mufflers and go dyno ultraflows!

Last edited:
Yep,

there you go ! Back on track...lol

If your pockets are overflowi g or if you are not mechanically inclined go TTI
but the Summit system works great with a little tweeking .
I used it with my Dougs on my Fastback and have a set for my TTI 1 7/8s W2 Race headers.

I did a thread on exactly this combo. I have posted the link below. TTI headers, 3" $159.00 universal kit and $29.00 Summit Mufflers.

My $210.00 3 Inch Exhaust System

I'm neither. And if anyone thi ke they dont have to cut and fiddle and exhaust system...then they are true novices and not seasoned mechanics such as myself. You are the one who's stirring with having to have the last word...and I have already said this.
I wasnt even talking restoration, if that's where you're going... you've wasted mine and your time.

Crazy... I had you ignore once before, why did I ever take you off...

Nobody said there wont be cuting or correction with any of the options available.
Nobody said a thing about restoration.
I got to say im impressed with your ability to fail to accnowledge the fact that parts are different and how they differ and WHY that affects the price both to the customer and in manufacturing.
Seasoned,yea im sure you like seasoning but that has no part in what we are talking about here as for mechanic,those are usualy capable of not only install what they get handed but most are also capable of looking at what parts they have in their hand and how they differ.

-
Back