Summit or Duplicolor Brand Paint

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I remember seeing an episode of Muscle Car on Powerblock, that they painted a car using Summit or Duplicolor brand paint I don't remember which, Base coat/ clear coat and it looked terrible. I don't know if it was the lighting that they use to light the shop or what but it was just terrible.

Has anyone used either one a had good results?

I used Summit single stage, low VOC urethane (I'm in CA so that's all I could get) on the front clip of my Duster. Paint looks great, the only issues I had were due to mistakes I made spraying it. One of these days I'll do the rest of the car. We'll see how it holds up for the long run, but given the price I was pretty happy with the paint itself.

In these pictures the paint isn't even fully buffed out.

IMG_2059_zpsgwedlaiu.jpg

IMG_2058_zps1bfwsaaw.jpg

I remember seeing an episode of Muscle Car on Powerblock, that they painted a car using Summit or Duplicolor brand paint I don't remember which, Base coat/ clear coat and it looked terrible. I don't know if it was the lighting that they use to light the shop or what but it was just terrible.

Has anyone used either one a had good results?

JGC403

The boys on MC used Duplicolor on a white Chevy truck which is an antiquated air dry lacquer system . Air dry lacquer finishes need to be buffed to get any sort of shine but there is usually some die back (dulling) within a short period of time. It has almost "0" durability. 1 Plus is it does dry fairly quickly!!!! ........ Please don't use it.!!!!!

I can't comment on the Summit material because I've never evaluated it and I don't have any plans to do so. The Summit material (and a few others) is commonly referred to as the DIY refinish paint system which means it's on the bottom tier as a paint system, with 3 tiers on top of it. In other words it`s slightly better than Duplicolor products.

" Anybody have Good Results" leaves you open to wide ranger of subjective responses.

My thoughts: If you`re going to spend hours and hours prepping your car or paint the last thing you want to do is throw a cheap coating on it. It will eventually bite you in the end.

Good Luck with your project and be safe.

:glasses7:

JGC403

The boys on MC used Duplicolor on a white Chevy truck which is an antiquated air dry lacquer system . Air dry lacquer finishes need to be buffed to get any sort of shine but there is usually some die back (dulling) within a short period of time. It has almost "0" durability. 1 Plus is it does dry fairly quickly!!!! ........ Please don't use it.!!!!!

I can't comment on the Summit material because I've never evaluated it and I don't have any plans to do so. The Summit material (and a few others) is commonly referred to as the DIY refinish paint system which means it's on the bottom tier as a paint system, with 3 tiers on top of it. In other words it`s slightly better than Duplicolor products.

" Anybody have Good Results" leaves you open to wide ranger of subjective responses.

My thoughts: If you`re going to spend hours and hours prepping your car or paint the last thing you want to do is throw a cheap coating on it. It will eventually bite you in the end.

Good Luck with your project and be safe.

:glasses7:

So, if you "can't comment on the Summit material because I've never evaluated it and I don't have any plans to do so", then why do you comment on it? How do you know what "tier" it falls into if you've never even seen it or sprayed it? :dontknow:

I have no illusions that the Summit paint is the best stuff out there. It isn't. On the other hand, I'm not going to spend over $2k on paint alone to refinish a car that I'm going to use as a daily driver. And I'm definitely not going to spend that much on paint if I'm going to spray it myself. I'd rather have my car out on the road and enjoy it with a "cheap" paint job than have it stuck in a bodyshop for 2 years somewhere to the tune of over $10k and then be too afraid to drive it when it finally got finished because it might get a scratch.

I've seen plenty of "show cars" with worst paint than what I layed down on the front clip of my Duster. And I'm sure they cost a lot more to paint. Is it the best stuff out there? Nope. But it's not the worst, and with proper prep it can look pretty darn good IMHO. It really depends on what you're doing. I think for a lot of folks the Summit paint will work just fine. Maybe it's not a good idea for an over-restored Barret-Jackson museum piece that's never going to be driven, but that's not what most of our cars are anyway.

summit paint is great for the money in my opinion. I have used the single stage on a few cars now. very easy to work with. I believe it is re labeled Kirker? paint.

Leave the Duplicolor on the shelf. Laquer has very poor adhesion and durability. I repainted a motorcycle tank the guy had put that on, and as soon as I broke through it, it started rolling off to find a properly prepped substrate.

Summit's paint is repackaged Kirker from what I understand. Kirker I have used. This color was high metallic and difficult to get down without mottle as compared to other economy basecoats I have used.

Attachments

• IMG_20150324_080814.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_20150324_080848.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20150324_080828.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_20150324_080928.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 451
my dad painted a miata with the duplicolor. its utter crap. he would have spent less getting a single stage and had a better result.

How does the Summit paint compare to a lower professional line like PPG Omni?

Dupli color is made by Sherwin Williams. I thought that was decent paint. I haven't used it, but a painter in town said that is all he uses.

Dupli color is made by Sherwin Williams. I thought that was decent paint. I haven't used it, but a painter in town said that is all he uses.

Dupli Color is WAY LOW END,for Sherwin Williams auto paints. The Martin Senour (Napa/Sherwin's paint)/ custom paint line/Crossfire is pretty damn good stuff. Used to sell /mix it.

I tried to buy summit brand paint a couple weeks ago, and summit would not ship it to me. They said they can no longer ship paint to PA.

If your not set on either of the brands you're asking about and looking for something affordable check these guys out. I used there pearl paint with southern polyurethane clear and it looks great. I also used there hotrod matte black for my hood and it turned real nice also .

http://www.urekem-paints.com/car-paint-colors/

How does the Summit paint compare to a lower professional line like PPG Omni?

I have only shot omni single stage twice. I don't really remember if it acrylic or urethane, and haven't used it simce. The gloss was not as good as Nason single stage which used to be my "go to" for a budget paint job. I haven't shot the kirker as a single stage but the front end above looks nice and better than what I got out of omni.

One thing all these lower end paints seem to have in common is less pigment per volume so it usually takes a bit more materials sometimes negating any cost savings verses a better paint.

I have only shot omni single stage twice. I don't really remember if it acrylic or urethane, and haven't used it simce. The gloss was not as good as Nason single stage which used to be my "go to" for a budget paint job. I haven't shot the kirker as a single stage but the front end above looks nice and better than what I got out of omni.

One thing all these lower end paints seem to have in common is less pigment per volume so it usually takes a bit more materials sometimes negating any cost savings verses a better paint.

Agreed. Shot the Nason "Full Thene" single stage ,a few times. Good paint,price has risen big time.

Its doubled here. Was quoted close to $300 for Nason single stage on my chevy, and it's why I tried something different. Really wanting to see how kirker as a base worked.

I have allergic problems with any thing except the low VOC stuff so I buy from TCP Global. I personally like acrylic urethane. I prefer the old look some orange peel is fine. I use my cars as DRIVERS! not into show cars. just me.
I painted one of my cars last fall with the Nason acrylic urethane from O reilly.s because I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get it from Ca. it kicked my ***! my cars sit under a shed, so I hope the "not highest priced paint" on the planet will be plenty durable.

You have to wonder, when shopping for paint the prices are all over the place. I'm sure the quality is as well. I haven't painted a car in 30 years and that was lacquer. Getting ready to paint mine soon. I appreciate all of the comments and advise. Hopefully I can make an intelligent decision in what to buy after reading what you guys have said.

the subject of paints are fascinating to me. I can ask 3-4 what I consider GOOD bodymen, ( not the ins shop) and I will get 3-4 different answers!
decades ago swore when they took lead out of paint they ruined it!! maybe he was right.
I was DA ing a 64 dart other day with original; paint. most of the paint had gone away, but I had a heck of time trying to get all the primer off with 80 grit. so maybe that primer of 1964 wasn't too bad!!!!

the subject of paints are fascinating to me. I can ask 3-4 what I consider GOOD bodymen, ( not the ins shop) and I will get 3-4 different answers!
decades ago swore when they took lead out of paint they ruined it!! maybe he was right.
I was DA ing a 64 dart other day with original; paint. most of the paint had gone away, but I had a heck of time trying to get all the primer off with 80 grit. so maybe that primer of 1964 wasn't too bad!!!!

I agree., old lead based enamel primer still stuck on after 40 years. Old lead based enamel paint job, a little polish and shine comes up. The new stuff seems to last maybe 5-7 years maybe a bit longer on an outside driver before it starts to deteriorate, delaminate etc. from I usually see.

Barbee6043, How do you like the TCP Paint products. Like everything else, Some love it and some don't. Goodness knows, we were all created different!

Barbee6043, How do you like the TCP Paint products. Like everything else, Some love it and some don't. Goodness knows, we were all created different!

I have shot the lacquer they sell, holds up well (for lacquer..) A few people here (72 Scamp Tramp,73 Abodee ,come to mind) have had great luck with TCP Global .

-
Back