Summit or Duplicolor Brand Paint

-
Here is Summits base/clear.
It shoots and lays down nice.

opBPFj.jpg

So, if you "can't comment on the Summit material because I've never evaluated it and I don't have any plans to do so", then why do you comment on it? How do you know what "tier" it falls into if you've never even seen it or sprayed it? :dontknow:

I have no illusions that the Summit paint is the best stuff out there. It isn't. On the other hand, I'm not going to spend over $2k on paint alone to refinish a car that I'm going to use as a daily driver. And I'm definitely not going to spend that much on paint if I'm going to spray it myself. I'd rather have my car out on the road and enjoy it with a "cheap" paint job than have it stuck in a bodyshop for 2 years somewhere to the tune of over $10k and then be too afraid to drive it when it finally got finished because it might get a scratch.

I've seen plenty of "show cars" with worst paint than what I layed down on the front clip of my Duster. And I'm sure they cost a lot more to paint. Is it the best stuff out there? Nope. But it's not the worst, and with proper prep it can look pretty darn good IMHO. It really depends on what you're doing. I think for a lot of folks the Summit paint will work just fine. Maybe it's not a good idea for an over-restored Barret-Jackson museum piece that's never going to be driven, but that's not what most of our cars are anyway.

Summit has their branded paint produced by a Tier 2 refinish paint manufacturer. At best it's on par with the manufacturer's brand but I doubt it.

If this stuff works for you fine but it is what it is.

:glasses7:

So, if you "can't comment on the Summit material because I've never evaluated it and I don't have any plans to do so", then why do you comment on it? How do you know what "tier" it falls into if you've never even seen it or sprayed it? :dontknow:

I have no illusions that the Summit paint is the best stuff out there. It isn't. On the other hand, I'm not going to spend over $2k on paint alone to refinish a car that I'm going to use as a daily driver. And I'm definitely not going to spend that much on paint if I'm going to spray it myself. I'd rather have my car out on the road and enjoy it with a "cheap" paint job than have it stuck in a bodyshop for 2 years somewhere to the tune of over $10k and then be too afraid to drive it when it finally got finished because it might get a scratch.

I've seen plenty of "show cars" with worst paint than what I layed down on the front clip of my Duster. And I'm sure they cost a lot more to paint. Is it the best stuff out there? Nope. But it's not the worst, and with proper prep it can look pretty darn good IMHO. It really depends on what you're doing. I think for a lot of folks the Summit paint will work just fine. Maybe it's not a good idea for an over-restored Barret-Jackson museum piece that's never going to be driven, but that's not what most of our cars are anyway.

72BluNBlu

I Know now I should have been more explicit in my response to you.

I haven't personally "sprayed" the Summit material but others in the group have. When I said "evaluate" I meant not only spraying the product to evaluate workability, it also meant durability testing. To perform full blown durability testing it takes a tremendous amount of time and money. And, I don't make the decision to "test" a competitor's product, it's made by a crossfunctional group of people. That group of people made the decision not to test the Summit material for various reasons and one is the paint technology is antiquated and the other is the paint manufacturer isn't on anyone's radar screen at this very moment.

Paint manufacturers are broken up into Tiers by annual volume and what business segments they serve. I don't have the lists in front of me so I'm working from memory.

Tier 1's would be PPG, Dupont, BASF

Tier 2's would be NB coatings, Red Spot Paints, S-W, CIL, etc.

Tier 3's - too many to list and the list is multiplying almost daily (plus I forgot all of them)

I don't disagree with your train of thought in respect to using the Summit material on your own car. Having a vehicle refinished at a body shop or restoration shop isn't cheap. It's also more satisfying doing it yourself anyway, at least that's how I feel.

And yes, most of the cars owned by FABO members are driven quite a bit, my own included. In fact, I abuse mine more than you can imagine. I've done the concours stuff with another brand of vehicle and it gets old very quick.

Now, I hope I answered your questions & statements to your satisfaction.

BTW-I'm not on FABO to bash or promote any paint manufacturer's product. I'm simply trying to educate and inform the DIY hobbyist and maybe some professional refinish people. There's a lot of good refinish info that never gets to you guys.

If I ruffled your feathers I do apologize. I call em as I see em.

Cheers!!!

I was at a pro paint store just today. I always have a few questions to ask, and I they arte not busy I always get some good honest answers. all these shops will sell several brands and grades of paints and primers.
I tell them I am a do it myselfer, and that I buy most of my paints out of Ca due to my reaction to the isocyanides. and that my cars are drivers that sit under a roof.. I appreciate their help and advise and just add it to my bank of opinions.

I was at a pro paint store just today. I always have a few questions to ask, and I they arte not busy I always get some good honest answers. all these shops will sell several brands and grades of paints and primers.
I tell them I am a do it myselfer, and that I buy most of my paints out of Ca due to my reaction to the isocyanides. and that my cars are drivers that sit under a roof.. I appreciate their help and advise and just add it to my bank of opinions.

Barbee,

I'm assuming you are talking to an actual paint manufacturer's technical service rep and not just the counter guy. If you have a paint related question ask to speak to a technical service rep for that particular paint company. If it some other refinish material (filler, polish, or sandpaper, etc.) contact the manufacturer. Counter guys have been known to misdirect a customer quite often.

If you have a sensitivity to isocyanates you should not be spraying any paint material, period. You could end up with COPD or worse.

I have a sensitivity to isocyanates too but I wear a space suit, rubber gloves, and breath fresh air (piped in) when I'm spraying anything (including primer), plus I'm spraying in a state of the art downdraft booth, you on the other hand are spraying in a less than desirable environment (or so you have told me).

Please be safe when you work. This is just a hobby.

Summit stuff works good. This ithe low VOC single stage... perk of living down the street from one of their retail stores. Always can get more. lol

That looks awesome! All depends on who is behind the gun, and the preparation

-
Back