Super 6

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I found a super six at a yard yesterday. My question is, do I need the exhaust manifold also?

You don't "need" it but it'll make life a lot easier since it's already mated to the intake. If you use a different exhaust manifold, you'll need to put the manifolds together and get them machined flat so you don't get exhaust and vacuum leaks at the head.

I say pull them both and inspect the exhaust for cracks. If it looks good, I'd get it unless the yard is asking an arm and a leg.

All the /6 manifolds are the same, the newer ones have more reinforcement in there casting, If you was wondering if a super 6 was different then a non super 6, no difference at all between the two

All the /6 manifolds are the same, the newer ones have more reinforcement in there casting, If you was wondering if a super 6 was different then a non super 6, no difference at all between the two

So I can just as easily drop a two barrel on my current /6 manifold?

So I can just as easily drop a two barrel on my current /6 manifold?

yes, the two barrel drops right in place of the one barrel intake manifold using any /6 exhaust manifold :cheers: they are all the same :happy1:

Stupid question, but why all the fuss over getting the Super 6 set up from the newer cars?

Stupid question, but why all the fuss over getting the Super 6 set up from the newer cars?

I do not know :-k They are all the same :cheers:
could be the older exhaust manifolds
have been known to crack :-k I would use ether early or newer :happy1:

I just told you, because mating two random manifolds together is a lot tougher than installing a set that's already been matched up together. The exhaust manifolds are all about the same other than the choke pockets and heat risers. The problem comes when you mate two random manifolds together. You either have to take them to a machine shop to get machined flat or get out your long board sander and spend some quality time with the manifolds.

Cause the newer cars are all the super 6 came in. I would get the exhaust manifold too. That way, you can take it home and get it apart. They are all bad about leaking somewhere, whether it's between the intake and exhaust manifolds or elsewhere. Be prepared for a bolt or two to break. They are bad about it. Use lots of PBlaster. But after you get it all fixed up, you'll have a nice complete piece. Good score.

:cheers:
I just told you, because mating two random manifolds together is a lot tougher than installing a set that's already been matched up together. The exhaust manifolds are all about the same other than the choke pockets and heat risers. The problem comes when you mate two random manifolds together. You either have to take them to a machine shop to get machined flat or get out your long board sander and spend some quality time with the manifolds.

Yes ESP47 is correct :happy1: But if I pulled a set off in one peace that is the way to go I would still drive to town and spend a few dollars and have them checked and machined flat, And yes they are the same other than the choke pockets and heat risers :cheers: Thank you ESP47 for reminding me/us of that :cheers: I would do this before even thinking of installing them :D

Cause the newer cars are all the super 6 came in. I would get the exhaust manifold too. That way, you can take it home and get it apart. They are all bad about leaking somewhere, whether it's between the intake and exhaust manifolds or elsewhere. Be prepared for a bolt or two to break. They are bad about it. Use lots of PBlaster. But after you get it all fixed up, you'll have a nice complete piece. Good score.

:cheers: Thank you also SS, I am doing my best trying to help..
Glad you and ESP47 jumped in with your wisdom :happy1:

Easy man.....just asking a question.

PBlaster is penetrating oil?

Thanks SS!

REmember the special 2bbl kickdown, thats worth as much as the intake.

Not sure what you're referring to.

He's talking about the automatic transmission kickdown linkage. It runs from the carburetor to the transmission. Get it ALL. I mean the lever that's on the transmission, too because it's different. It has a pinch bolt holding it on. All you need to do is loosen it and pull the lever off at the transmission. Then get the reat of the linkage and brackets....they should come off with the manifolds, as they will be bolted to them. But you need every stinkin bit of it.

OK...I saw the linkage.....thanks.

Another question, the carb looked every bit it's age with oxidized metal, etc. I'm assuming it will need a rebuild? Is that a job for a pro?

OK...I saw the linkage.....thanks.

Another question, the carb looked every bit it's age with oxidized metal, etc. I'm assuming it will need a rebuild? Is that a job for a pro?

I wouldn't say pro....but if you 've never done a carburetor, you might consider letting someone do it that knows how. I'll be glad to do it for you probably more reasonable including shipping tham most anyone.

Easy man.....just asking a question.

Sorry wasn't trying to sound jumpy, I think I just worded it weird :D I was just trying to stress that these manifolds are extremely leak prone and only get torqued down about 10ft lbs, so you have to make sure everything is nice and flat before you put them on. There are also good quality gaskets to get such as Remflex and/or the aussie gaskets. You might be able to get away with using a regular parts store gasket but you better make sure everything is perfectly flat.

Yeah SS is correct, make sure you grab every bit of linkage off that thing. People always remove the intake but forget the kickdown linkages and brackets. The cars then get crushed and now were left with a bunch of super sixes with no linkages.

Definitely keep the original carb. If it's not leaking from the throttle shaft and is rebuildable, it'll work way better than any parts store carb you could ever find. They are a little more difficult than your 1bbl to rebuild but they still aren't bad.

Also if your car doesn't have electronic ignition, you may want to grab the distributor out of that car as well if it looks ok. Good original electronic distributors are getting hard to come by.

Quote = trying to stress that these manifolds are extremely leak prone and only get torqued down about 10ft lbs...

I agree, I had to use an inch lb torque wrench, I can't remember how many inch lb at this time, but I have it in a book.

And I would recommend a good casket. Not the thin Fel-pro!!

Attachments

• Speep%20056.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 470
  • gasket.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 470
I wouldn't say pro....but if you 've never done a carburetor, you might consider letting someone do it that knows how. I'll be glad to do it for you probably more reasonable including shipping tham most anyone.

SS, thanks! I think I'll take you up on that.

Sorry wasn't trying to sound jumpy, I think I just worded it weird :D I was just trying to stress that these manifolds are extremely leak prone and only get torqued down about 10ft lbs, so you have to make sure everything is nice and flat before you put them on. There are also good quality gaskets to get such as Remflex and/or the aussie gaskets. You might be able to get away with using a regular parts store gasket but you better make sure everything is perfectly flat.

Yeah SS is correct, make sure you grab every bit of linkage off that thing. People always remove the intake but forget the kickdown linkages and brackets. The cars then get crushed and now were left with a bunch of super sixes with no linkages.

Definitely keep the original carb. If it's not leaking from the throttle shaft and is rebuildable, it'll work way better than any parts store carb you could ever find. They are a little more difficult than your 1bbl to rebuild but they still aren't bad.

Also if your car doesn't have electronic ignition, you may want to grab the distributor out of that car as well if it looks ok. Good original electronic distributors are getting hard to come by.

No problem, it's intimidating talking with you guys at times. For as much knowledge as you all have on these cars, I'm very much a beginner.

As I was working on it yesterday, I recall seeing 10ft lbs stamped on the top of the intake. I was doing pretty well until I encountered a lower nut opposite the carb. I just didn't have the wrench to get at it. I wish I di, the yards handy man is out with a busted shoulder and don't know when he'll be back. Would like to have it here so I can check it off the list.

I'll definitely pull the distributor as well. Any special trick to doing that?

Don't be intimidated, just jump in and go with the flow. There should be a clamp/bolt 7/16" I think that holds the distributor in. Un-do it and it should lift out. I think, LOL, I haven't worked on a /six in 35 years. When you pull the dizzy do so gently as it has a nylon gear on it, you don't want to tear it up.

-
Back