Super Bowl LIII: Gladys Knight "I Am Here To Give The Anthem Back It's Voice"

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
(from MSN.com)

Gladys Knight Comments on Colin Kaepernick and Super Bowl: ‘I Am Here to Give the Anthem Back Its Voice’

Legendary soul singer, Atlanta native and longtime Civil Rights advocate Gladys Knight, who announced Thursday that she will be singing the National Anthem before the Super Bowl in her hometown on Feb. 3, has issued a statement in response Variety’s question about her stance on the NFL’s treatment of Colin Kaepernick. The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback has essentially been banished from professional football for “taking a knee” during the performance of the National Anthem as a sign of protest. He has not played professionally since 2016.

“I understand that Mr. Kaepernick is protesting two things, and they are police violence and injustice,” she wrote. “It is unfortunate that our National Anthem has been dragged into this debate when the distinctive senses of the National Anthem and fighting for justice should each stand alone.

“I am here today and on Sunday, Feb. 3 to give the Anthem back its voice, to stand for that historic choice of words, the way it unites us when we hear it and to free it from the same prejudices and struggles I have fought long and hard for all my life, from walking back hallways, from marching with our social leaders, from using my voice for good — I have been in the forefront of this battle longer than most of those voicing their opinions to win the right to sing our country’s Anthem on a stage as large as the Super Bowl LIII.

“No matter who chooses to deflect with this narrative and continue to mix these two in the same message, it is not so and cannot be made so by anyone speaking it. I pray that this National Anthem will bring us all together in a way never before witnessed and we can move forward and untangle these truths which mean so much to all of us.”

Right on Gladys!

Gladys and her husband live on the outskirts of Asheville, NC. Several years ago, one of the tree crews I looked after at work had to trim the trees away from the power lines on their property. She cooked them lunch, and would not take no for an answer! Those guys talk about it to this day, and will tell you right quick that she is truely a nice lady.

Class act. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m sure there will be those who consider her a sell out. Any statement from Black Lives Matter yet?

Here's an article in New York Times. Don't you love the way they make things up. I see nowhere she "criticize" the bum.

Headline:
Gladys Knight, Ahead of Super Bowl Anthem Date, Criticizes Colin Kaepernick

First paragraph:

The soul singer Gladys Knight, who will be singing the national anthem at this year’s Super Bowl in Atlanta, seemed to criticize Colin Kaepernick in a statement published by Variety on Friday.

Typical of the media. Have to see a negative in everything. I did not see where she criticized him, she just didn't agree with his form of protest.

Gladys knight is a true professional. She knew and still knows connecting the National Anthem with protest is not going to work.

If there is anyone who knows what social injustice and how best to protest, I think it would be her.

Good for her, if she sang at a different venue I just might watch it

-
Back