Super Shops is back......

-

'68-340-S

Reaction score
:wav:
Super Shops trade mark is under new ownership and now they are doing the franchise thing. That brings back alot of memories, I worked there just before they closed. How many of us worked or shoped there? I wouldn't mind opening one up. Here's the sight if anyone wants to check it out.
http://super-shops-inc.com

Those loosers are back, I won't be shopping there if they show up again. The wal*mart of speed shops.

Chuck

Down here the old Super Shops were bought up and turned in to Speedtek. They owner went to the local tracks and asked the racers what they WANTED in a speed shop, and for the most part they delivered.

superdart said:
Down here the old Super Shops were bought up and turned in to Speedtek. They owner went to the local tracks and asked the racers what they WANTED in a speed shop, and for the most part they delivered.

And now super shops wants to come back and chase him off after he is doing a good job. That is exactly what they did where I was. There was a speed shop called Service Center and was a great speed shop. The guys knew about racing and cars and the manager had a '57 Chev that he raced. Then along comes super shops. They hired cheap labor inexperienced labor, sold parts at the cheapest possible just like wal*mart so Service Center couldn't make it so they closed. Then a year or so later super shops closed because of their business practices. Now we had no speed shop. Nope not going there again.

Chuck

We had super shops in Denver when I lived there in '96. I liked them. Never had a problem with the products, and the staff knew their stuff. I'm looking forward to dealing with them again. In MN, our choices are extremely limited.

We had one Super Shops in the area way back, but they never had much other than wheels,tires,and a bunch of chevy stuff. We all know that these places never have and never will stock Mopar stuff to any degree, and with mail order as good as it is today, who needs them anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Here we have really only one high performance store and they are goofballs mainly dealing with imports so it would be nice to have some competition.I had always enjoyed super shops and had no complaints.Back in the day it was a cool place to go and they were right on the cruise strip and open late.

superdart said:

I used to work there and was one of the guys that knew what was going on. Had 9 and 10 sec cars in the early 80's.

The company was all about wheels, tires and chevy parts. When we opened in the DFW area, I royally complained about the lack of decent product to service the 1/4 mile, dirt trackers and any other racing activity going on in the area. Nobody want to wait 3 months for a big solid or roller cam to show up. Fell on deaf ears as usual. Stupid douches.

Knew Keith Sullivan at Speedtek, good guy. Haven't spoken with him in 10 years or so.

I worked at the store on colfax in Denver. It would make starting up a business easier. Besides that I could make sure I had more mopar stuff in stock than my old store did. Mail order is great and all that but alot of people like to be able to get there parts now... not wait for the mail man. I think with somew changes it could be alot better than it was back in the day, being the owner instead of just the store manager would alow for freedom to make the best desisions for customers and the business as long as the person doesn't have there head in there tail.

:wav:
Super Shops trade mark is under new ownership and now they are doing the franchise thing. That brings back alot of memories, I worked there just before they closed. How many of us worked or shoped there? I wouldn't mind opening one up. Here's the sight if anyone wants to check it out.
http://super-shops-inc.com
I Did shop there in the 80s.Liked the people. Didn't like the prices. Here in Tucson, the only place to go is Don's Hot Rod, no matter who the competition is. My project is picking up speed. Am done adding the hoses to my system and will start the welding in the engine well this weekend. Am working outside here in Tucson and it's been running over 110 degrees. Hope it's cooler this weekend. The motor is a 57 Desoto 341 hemi. It's been bored .060" with 10-1 Venolias, Contrerras roller cam, Hilborn injection setup I modified for TPI injection using Megasquirt, Garretrt T3/T4 hybrid turbos with intercooling, 3000 stall converter with 727, and 8-3/4" posi with 3.91 gears. Here's a short vid of my project so far. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrnlUsxls4"]Bill's Desoto 341 hemi part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

we had one here in Burbank Illinois. low prices easy layaway and the employed the lowest common denominator available. if you knew what you were doing in exactly what you wanted that was the place to go, if you need help or advice you were screwed. we have a couple old name speed shops available around here now, I would hate to see something jeopardize that

The stuper shop by me was full of idiots.when ever I went to buy something they suggested something else.They knew what was in my car and couldn't beat it!

We had one in Macon. It was a cool store but they put it in a terrible neighborhood. Got broke into all the time. It was cool though.

Well no damn wonder. LOL Thanks.

I'm sort of doubtful any speed shop could make it anymore. Businesses hate stocking a ton of parts for all different kinds of engines/levels of performance. Add to that the efficiency/competition of mail order now, and plus, all the customers would be screaming bloody murder when they saw an intake manifold on the wall that was $20 higher than Summit/Jeg's, that's almost guaranteed........not to mention the smart-*** comments if that speed shop would have to order anything that would take a few days. <--------("why the @#&* should I special order a part through YOU guys for more than Summit!?" )

I think the best way for a speed shop to survive today is to have a good automotive machine shop attached to it.Would still be tuff to compete with Summit/Jegs on price. Have one in my home town in Colorado who mostly caters to circle track crowd but is pretty successful.

6 years later, huh?

Anyone seen a new super shops franchise near them?

I also remember wheels (lucky to see any 5x4.5), tires, and chevy stuff.

I was spoiled. Had a Mopar specific machine shop/performance shop near me.
Too bad I could never afford anything.

Also got to go by Ohio George's shop a couple of times, even though it had been closed for a few years.

Back when Summit, Jegs, and (remember) PAW were call/mail order only, a local brick and mortar shop could compete, especially with the typical 6-8 weeks for delivery (remember that?).

IDK about now, though.

I've got two mom and pop type shops near me.

One is 90% chevy and the owner and I had a disagreement a few years ago, about him honoring a starter warranty...

The other is about 75% chevy, but does trade used equipment, and sometimes gets good stuff. His new stuff is nearly double what you can get the same part for from Summit/ebay.

Yeu gueys dooo realize that this 'hea thread is frum TWEW THOUSAND 'N OUGHT SEVEN, right?

198382-audix-i5-thread-old-2.jpg

-
Back