super six how to tell if it is one

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
Ok I JUST BOUGHT A 73 DUSTER TO USE AS PARTS FOR MY 73 DUSTER
THE AIR CLEANER SAYS SUPER SIX BUT HOW DO I TELL IF IT IS.

PLUS THIS THING IS PRETTY CLEAN SO NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO, SLANT SIX 3 SPEED, INTERIOR IS SUPER CLEAN BODY IS STRAIT. I BOUGHT IT FOR THE BUMBERS AND REAR FRAIM RAIL BUT NOW I AM TORN.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

P2250071.jpg

P2250069.jpg

theres likely numbers to Id them, but the lenth of the bypass hose that runs from the head to the water pump is an idication of weather you have a 170 or 225, large diameter longer hose is 225 so Im told, that car is a keeper!

"Super Six" means 2bbl carburetor instead of 1bbl. The 2bbl air cleaner assembly does not fit the 1bbl carburetor or vice versa, and you've got a 2bbl air cleaner assembly, so while the carb, choke thermostat, and throttle linkage aren't visible in your pic, the odds are that somebody has in fact swapped a super six intake manifold, carb, linkage, and supporting bits onto this car. The 2bbl slant-6 was first available in the US/Canadian markets in '76, but was not offered on the Dart/Valiant/Duster.

The water pump bypass hose thing is not applicable to your car. That's a quick way of discerning a G-engine (170 cubic inch) from an RG (198 or 225); the RG has a bypass hose about 3" long, while the G has a bypass hose about 1½" long. In both cases, the diameter is the same; it's 5/8" heater hose. But the G-block 170 was replaced in the North American market by the RG-block 198 for the 1970 model year, so while it's conceivable someone could've swapped a '68-'69 170 into your '73, it is not likely.

Quickest easiest way to tell a "super six" is by how many bolts hold the carb to the manifold. 4 bolts=2bbl carb=super six. 2 bolts=1bbl carb=not super six. Don't even have to remove the air cleaner to look.

-
Back