Super Six HP gain?

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
So, the Slant Six in my '75 Duster(which is currently stock) generates 106 HP,(which isn't much) but I'm putting the Super Six setup on there sometime after the first, and I was curious if anyone knew how much HP I'd gain from doing this(I know I should probably upgrade to the 2 1/2 in. Exhaust as well) but I don't have the $$ for that yet.

And if anyone had any other info on how I could increase my HP(without the typical smart :bootysha: response of "put a V8 in it") I'd appriciate it.

I thought you were already putting a V8 in it?

My guess is a 10-15hp difference. If you go from a not so good running 1bbl to a nice running 2bbl, the hp difference could be even greater.

Adjust your valves and make sure you have the correct spark plugs for a cheap and easy way to make sure you're getting all you can out of the motor.

Get rid of any dead weight in the trunk and cab like extra tire irons and all that.

Super six and exhaust are a good start. After that, taking a little off the head is the next step. From them on you're gonna need a lot more cash.

I thought you were already putting a V8 in it?

My guess is a 10-15hp difference. If you go from a not so good running 1bbl to a nice running 2bbl, the hp difference could be even greater.

Adjust your valves and make sure you have the correct spark plugs for a cheap and easy way to make sure you're getting all you can out of the motor.

Get rid of any dead weight in the trunk and cab like extra tire irons and all that.

Super six and exhaust are a good start. After that, taking a little off the head is the next step. From them on you're gonna need a lot more cash.

Well, that's the thing, I WANT to put a V8 in it, but I don't know what all I'd need to do to make that happen(besides getting a 904 tranny, 8 3/4 rear end, and of course the V8 )I mean, in all honesty would it be easier/cheaper to just put a V8 in it?

Well, that's the thing, I WANT to put a V8 in it, but I don't know what all I'd need to do to make that happen(besides getting a 904 tranny, 8 3/4 rear end, and of course the V8 )I mean, in all honesty would it be easier/cheaper to just put a V8 in it?

then why bother doing anything to the 6?? im a big slant guy and im sure bill will be here telling you to boost it but if you want a V8 but a damn v8 in it...

all you need is mounts to swap in the 8, correct trans, and correct driveshaft... wont even have to change the driveshaft if you leave the rear end alone...

then why bother doing anything to the 6?? im a big slant guy and im sure bill will be here telling you to boost it but if you want a V8 but a damn v8 in it...

all you need is mounts to swap in the 8, correct trans, and correct driveshaft... wont even have to change the driveshaft if you leave the rear end alone...

So, what... you're saying I wouldn't have to swap out the rear end for the 8 3/4? If that's the case, what trans am I looking for then? and I'm looking to put a 318 in it right now.

I doubt very seriously you'd see much horsepower difference AT ALL without the larger exhaust, because the larger exhaust was a key part of the super six system. Without it, puttin the rest of the super six system on sans exhaust upgrade is useless as tits on a boarhog.

.........Ok, so basicly what I'm going to try and do, is swap it over to a 318 V8 Car.

What exactly will I need to do this(please make it as simple as possible, if you would)

Transmission, engine mounts and exhaust are the three biggest things that come to mind.

Transmission, engine mounts and exhaust are the three biggest things that come to mind.

Ok, so the exhaust, what will I need, and where do I find it?Transmission, should I be looking for a 904(there's one on craigslist that's sort of local it's a 904 Torqueflight from a 360), or 727?

Ok, so the exhaust, what will I need, and where do I find it?Transmission, should I be looking for a 904(there's one on craigslist that's sort of local it's a 904 Torqueflight from a 360), or 727?

TF 904 will be plenty...
either you have exhasut manifolds or headers and take it to an exhasut shop and have them make it...

or if you have the tools go by lengths of 2.5" .083 wall tubing and some u bends...

TF 904 will be plenty...
either you have exhasut manifolds or headers and take it to an exhasut shop and have them make it...

or if you have the tools go by lengths of 2.5" .083 wall tubing and some u bends...

Ok, so that trans. on craigslist should work then? Even though it's from a 360?

I'm leaning toward getting headers if I do this swap.

So, let me make sure of this:

The rear end of my car will hold up right? I don't have to worry about the spider gears? Or should I see about getting a 8 3/4s?? Will I have to get new leaf springs? A new Driveshaft?

Or, will everything hold up fine if I get the V8, 904 Trans. and the headers/exhaust?

Your rear end will live for quite a while if you don't beat it on a daily basis. Avoid doing burnouts when going around corners. Eventually you will need to upgrade. The 360 trans will work but you will need a neutral balanced torque converter as all 318's use internal balance. You will most likely need to upgrade to the V8 radiator but you could try the 6cyl unit and see how it does first. It's a pretty easy swap if you use the conversion mounts, a little more involved if you want to change the cross member.

95% of FABO (and the rest of the internet, for that matter) is all about V8 performance.

Although slanters tend to be patient and polite, you'll get far more help and advice in almost any area of this forum BESIDES the slant six section.

Your rear end will live for quite a while if you don't beat it on a daily basis. Avoid doing burnouts when going around corners. Eventually you will need to upgrade. The 360 trans will work but you will need a neutral balanced torque converter as all 318's use internal balance. You will most likely need to upgrade to the V8 radiator but you could try the 6cyl unit and see how it does first. It's a pretty easy swap if you use the conversion mounts, a little more involved if you want to change the cross member.

Any chance you could post a link to this? Can't seem to find it.

Also, I don't do burn outs at all. But I do have a heavy foot haha, and having a V8 in front of me will only increase that lol, but I can watch myself. Thank you for the info.

I doubt very seriously you'd see much horsepower difference AT ALL without the larger exhaust, because the larger exhaust was a key part of the super six system. Without it, puttin the rest of the super six system on sans exhaust upgrade is useless as tits on a boarhog.

Incorrect. You get a definite improvement in driveability and performance even while you wait til you have time and money to put in the larger exhaust. I speak from experience. You?

Incorrect. You get a definite improvement in driveability and performance even while you wait til you have time and money to put in the larger exhaust. I speak from experience. You?

No smarty pants I don't. It just seemed logical...PLUS I thought I had seen you say somethin similar. Guess I was mistooked.

I think Dans beard ate another member.
1231_hysterically_laughing.gif

It's all good. If it's one thing I'm good at it's admittin I'm wrong. It happens on a regular basis. I'm still lookin for band aids for these beard bites.

It's all good. If it's one thing I'm good at it's admittin I'm wrong. It happens on a regular basis. I'm still lookin for band aids for these beard bites.

I have band aids but it will cost ya. looks like I will pull my Super Six from my Barracuda and save it.

So, the Slant Six in my '75 Duster(which is currently stock) generates 106 HP,(which isn't much) but I'm putting the Super Six setup on there sometime after the first, and I was curious if anyone knew how much HP I'd gain from doing this(I know I should probably upgrade to the 2 1/2 in. Exhaust as well) but I don't have the $$ for that yet.

And if anyone had any other info on how I could increase my HP(without the typical smart :bootysha: response of "put a V8 in it") I'd appriciate it.

So my question is:
If you dont have the money to put an exhaust on you /6, where are you gonig to come up with the cash to do a V8 swap ?

If you don't have a lot of money and you have a good running slant, I say stick with the slant.

I can guarantee you will run into problem after problem trying to put a v8 in it. Unless you know someone whos good with mopars or have a ton of spare parts laying around, you'll get nickel and dimed to death to the point where you'll regret you even started. And nickel and dimed means $20 and $100'ed to death these days.

You're going to have to trust that the v8 is in good working order. Same goes with the transmission. You may put it in and realize it needs a water pump. Then it wont start and needs a tune up and a carb rebuild. Then you realize compression is low and the tranny slips. Now theres a vacuum or exhaust leak. You just never know what you're getting when you try and build a car on the cheap. You can either get lucky or you can run into so many problems that you could have spent the same on a good tranny and rebuilt engine and been in the same place.

If you're young and don't have a ton of money but still have a good running slant, my suggestion is to do like I did and super six it and go with a new exhaust. Later on when you start making good money, you can start playing with the v8's. My slant is perky but it will not win many races with any kind of car. It's a lot faster than every other slant i've driven but it doesn't accelerate like a v8 in any which way.

Just decide what you want. A car that runs consistantly with a little pep to it for a few more hundred.

Or a car that will go faster but you'll have no idea how much money it'll be in the end because what you don't know what kinds of problems it'll have and you don't know how long it'll take to get on the road. Either way you don't want to do the first choice and then decide you want a v8. So make a decision and stick to it without turning back.

So my question is:
If you dont have the money to put an exhaust on you /6, where are you gonig to come up with the cash to do a V8 swap ?

I was thinkin it, but you said it. lol

-
Back