Super six question

-

76dart/6

Reaction score
Hey folks . Thanks for helping me out with my add a circuit question earlier but with the price of a painless add a circuit harness I figured I got bigger fish to fry on the buzzin half dozen.
So Ive got a buddy in Michigan says he has a complete super six on a running engine. Minus air cleaner. He will ship it to me on my dime but with my car being a CALI car with smog equipment will this one coming from Michigan need to be modified and will It pass the emissions testing .
Also I figure shipping is going to be way up there.
Thanks in advance guys your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

It'll probably pass if you keep the timing retarded as hell.

'76 has to be snifft .. Bummer

The California smog equipment required to get your 5.7 liter engine equipped Chevy Blazer California smog legal are: PCV (Positive Crank Ventilation), ACL (Pre-Heat Tube - This component is required on most vehicles with carbureted engines. The pre heat tube is usual a flexible metal duct attached to the engine's air filter housing on one end and an exhaust manifold cover on the other), AIS (also known as the Smog Pump), EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve), EVAP system, and CAT (catalytic convertor). Depending on whether your Blazer is an automatic or stick, ignition timing is different. AUTO: 6 BTDC at 600 rpm. STANDARD: 8 BTDC at 800 rpm. Timing should be inspected at the number 1 cylinder with the distributor vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged. Our recommendation is to make an appointment with the state smog check referee's office before starting any work.

Regs should be about the same for the Dart slanty.

I do know a shop but they charge 500 was hoping I didn't have to go that route. But it is what it is .

To my knowledge the Super Six was never offered in California, so there's no such thing as correct emissions equipment for it.

However, if you have all the smog stuff (egr, etc) installed and "operating" from the Michigan motor, I doubt there's a smog tech out there who would know the difference.

I've never understood why we can't just blow the number and have the car pass. I had an El Camino back in the day with a pretty hot 327 in it that would run clean the way I had it tuned. But when you set the timing and idle speed to factory specs, it wouldn't pass.
Luckily my smog guy back then would ignore all of the incorrect bits.

I thought it was offered in California just not in 76 and only very few ?
I'm probably wrong but I feel I've read that somewhere.

Also Ive got a coworker that said to just put another cat after my cat .....but the guy is a European car mechanic and has no experience with American cars but that doesn't sound right to me no matter what nationality of vehicle .

No, the Super 6 was never available out here in Commiefornia.
Back in my wrenching, mechanic days, i was a certified smog mechanic for a number of years.

It'll probably pass if you keep the timing retarded as hell.
No, not necessary so.
The timing can only be a few degrees out of specifications, when the mechanic runs the test.
If it's more than called for, it will fail the test.
If retarded too much, the testing mechanic is going to check it pretty quick.

No, not necessary so.
The timing can only be a few degrees out of specifications, when the mechanic runs the test.
If it's more than called for, it will fail the test.
If retarded too much, the testing mechanic is going to check it pretty quick.

What I mean is, don't have it advanced well past spec like most everybody does for more power. If he keeps it stock, which is retarded from where it really "needs" to be, it'll probably pass.

Also Ive got a coworker that said to just put another cat after my cat .....but the guy is a European car mechanic and has no experience with American cars but that doesn't sound right to me no matter what nationality of vehicle .
That would only be effective if the cat You have isn't doing it's job because it has worn out,in which case replace it. If it is because the conditions aren't correct, then You've got work to do. Truly, if the vehicle is passing now, the only thing You're changing is the carb. Attentive choke adj., idle mix adjustment, and possibly rejetting should keep You good.

If I had to live and drive in Ca I would just sell all my chit and buy a damn mule!
I feel sorry for all you guys there, but sooner or later BiDumb will have it that way everywhere! Wait and see.

If I had to live and drive in Ca I would just sell all my chit and buy a damn mule!
I feel sorry for all you guys there, but sooner or later BiDumb will have it that way everywhere! Wait and see.

Then they'd tax you on mule poop.

What I mean is, don't have it advanced well past spec like most everybody does for more power. If he keeps it stock, which is retarded from where it really "needs" to be, it'll probably pass.

Maybe so in GA; but not so in Shittyfornia!

Then they'd tax you on mule poop.

It can't be any higher than what they're getting raped with now between smog & registration!

I don't think any 76s had it nationwide. Started in 77 as I remember.
And I thought kommiefornia went to a rolling 30 year exemption meaning anything 30+ yo no longer had to worry about the BS.... I dunno, I only live in the next worst state, ILLinois.....
Being as how the super six was available for the 77+ model years, "somewhere" and the old thing about engine swaps having to be the year of the car or newer, and have the crap on it the year of the engine, can you claim your current engine is an early model 77 engine, put the super six on and have it fly with the smog Nazis?
Another question/ cars are bought and sold daily, people move in n out of every State daily... Let's just say (no it's not gonna happen) I move to Cali tomorrow and bring my present vehicles with me. Would I have to sell them outside Cali, and buy replacement vehicles within Cali? Would I not be able to register them there? My newest is an 01durango.

Dang 500? Keep looking over here it’s
I don't think any 76s had it nationwide. Started in 77 as I remember.
And I thought kommiefornia went to a rolling 30 year exemption meaning anything 30+ yo no longer had to worry about the BS.... I dunno, I only live in the next worst state, ILLinois.....
Being as how the super six was available for the 77+ model years, "somewhere" and the old thing about engine swaps having to be the year of the car or newer, and have the crap on it the year of the engine, can you claim your current engine is an early model 77 engine, put the super six on and have it fly with the smog Nazis?
Another question/ cars are bought and sold daily, people move in n out of every State daily... Let's just say (no it's not gonna happen) I move to Cali tomorrow and bring my present vehicles with me. Would I have to sell them outside Cali, and buy replacement vehicles within Cali? Would I not be able to register them there? My newest is an 01durango.

I'm going to just make it look stock and throw a single barrel sticker on the air cleaner housing lid and hope the tech doesn't check . With the older cars it's more work than just plugging a computer in so I'm banking on a lazy tech that just wants to push cars out as fast as possible . Still waiting on the guy to give me the shipping quote. He is pulling items off a running donor. I'm sure it'll be crazy .

My Mazda was a 49 state FED truck so it didnt have the CA smog pump, but it did have the FED pulse injector (passive air pump, more like a header evap system in the exhaust manifold through a check valve) So the ref just checked: timing to 49 state spec, idle speed, CO, NOx, O readings at idle and also the same at 15mph (25?) loaded up in the dyno. These had to be dead on (idle and timing) Also checked EGR pintle operation (pinched the hose only), EGR visual, preheat hose visual and evap shutter visual. Also did a visual on the charcoal canister thingy on the fender that had a bunch of hoses attached to it. I had to supply the 49 state vacum diagram for the evap shutter as he thought it looked hinky. There was a dashpot that was supposed to dampen the throttle so it would not snap shut causing a momentary rich condition but it was bad so I just plugged the hose to it with a BB. I had to have a ref check it because it was a mechanics lean "sold" in CA and the seller didnt have to smog it per the selling rules here, sort of a loophole I guess. Also it could not spin the tires at 15mph in first gear under a certain RPM for the load test. I was befuddled that the guy stopped the test on me when he could not get that correct. I told him its all gearing, WTH? When the station stops/suspends a 'failing' test it does not go against their monthly fail score card, that keeps their very lucrative license current. I got my super six setup off a truck. Only stuff I saw 2bbl sixes on here were manual trans trucks.

Last edited:
And I thought kommiefornia went to a rolling 30 year exemption meaning anything 30+ yo no longer had to worry about the BS.... o.

Nope. It used to be anything 65 and up had to be smogged. Then they started the rolling 30 year thing. This law was the work of Ben "nighthorse" Campbell. As soon as he term-limited out, they amended the law, and capped the smog exemption at '75. So anything '76 and up still has ro be slogged.

Oh, and the '75 and older stuff isn't exempt from smog laws, it is just exempt from testing. You can still get screwed if you've removed all the smog stuff and get stopped by a knowledgeable cop who wants to be a dick.

Nope. It used to be anything 65 and up had to be smogged. Then they started the rolling 30 year thing. This law was the work of Ben "nighthorse" Campbell. As soon as he term-limited out, they amended the law, and capped the smog exemption at '75. So anything '76 and up still has ro be slogged.

Oh, and the '75 and older stuff isn't exempt from smog laws, it is just exempt from testing. You can still get screwed if you've removed all the smog stuff and get stopped by a knowledgeable cop who wants to be a dick.

Knowledgeable cop
....hahahaha

-
Back