SuPer SiX Slant Signet!

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
best gas milage being the goal!

Please help!
I have 2 slant motors

I have a 170 (1965 101 H.P) slant 6 in car now with 3 on the tree also have a 225 (1970) block that may have a spun bearing for parts, oh and a super
six set up.
what can I do with these parts?#-o

This would be for my 1967 Signet with a healthy 170 1 barell now.

The block for the 225 may have a spun main bearing "per P.O", I want as much power as I can from the Signet running its 170 the "only good bottom end I have " right now.

(I have another build I am working on and this is to be my gas myzer daily driver)

Should I just install the super six and call it or..
Would it be better to use the 225 head and the super six set up then adding a 2 1/4 exhaust pipe from the manifold?
Should i stay with the stick or use the automatic?

I will be adding an electronic ignition as well.

After Im done with my 360 Dart i will may rebuild the 225 for the Signet.
Im not very familiar with slant six and need help for my daily driver
keeping costs down and gas mileage up!:rock:

thank you to all who add ther .02 cents here.

Or do you see a better option here please let me know

I also have a 273 2 barell with trans but I just want the best driver with the best possible gas milage.

Thank you

Bruce B.

There is no advantage to swapping heads unless it's been ported or some other performance work done to it. The 2bbl setup might be an overkill for a stock 170. Why not just build the 225 as you get funds and do a complete engine swap down the road?

It is my daily driver and the 3 on the tree kills my back
I would also like to get get more power without hurting gas
what do you think,If it has a spun bearing ,light knock still runs
how much to repair without a rebuild?
then I could swap it in there untill I am heald or I wont be able to drive for several months LOL:wack:

Usually, there is a direct relationship between power and mileage.....as in, more power, less mileage. Some items can be replaced to give more in both cases (like creative cam grinds and fuel systems) but in general, you'll have to decide which you want more. How about taking the pan off the 225 and see what it needs? If the engine didn't smoke, has good compression, and looks decent inside, you might be able to get away with a crank kit. That shouldn't cost too much....maybe a couple hundered at most....not counting your labor!

I hope a crank kit would be OK.
I'm rolling the dice and will drop the pan in the next day or so
My main goal is getting the Signet to the best mileage possible
as this car is my daily driver now and may evolve it to something else once the Dart is done.
I will have back surgery and need to have an auto in there until I am healed so I got the 225 slant but I have a 273 2 barrel automatic too
I know what combo has more power here but what would be better for gas?
I am 47 yrs old and can keep my foot off the gas so with a light foot what would do better 273 2 barrel
or a super six 225
I only have one shot at this then I will have to live with it until I am healed and probably after next winter so everyone's advice would be appreciated!
thank you Fabo!

With those two choices, there's not much difference in mileage. Both will probably be in the 16-18 MPG range. Converting the car to a V8 is a bit involved though.......

If you tear into that 225 6-banger you need to mic the crank to see if it's in spec. If not take it out and get it machined and replace all the bearings with oversized ones. It's really not that much work. Are you sure it's the crank giving you problems or is it possibly just piston slap you're hearing?

I vote stay with the 170/, it is a shorter stroke and good low end power, and I have had no problems at all with a 390 Holley and it runs smooth and has been for about two years.
My 66 is light, 2,700lb's and I run 3.23 gear open 7 1/4 rear end with 3 on the tree standard shift. open the exhaust to 2 1/4" pipe with a muffler and 14'' 215/70 tires.
I am positive I am getting at lest 24 mpg... wide tires, under inflated tires and drag on bad axle and wheel bearings will make your mpg go way down.
Put some kind of a fresh air system on it and it will help !! It did mine, It's 200 + degrees under the hood and that will bring your mpg down. I say go with the Low deck 170/.
It has worked for me and is my daily driver :glasses8:
I have removed the temporary rubber gas line and bent a stainless steel line, the breather is from a 93 Jeep 4.0 and the battery is in the trunk.
Just an option to think about and I wish you well :colors:

Attachments

• June%20third%202010%20helping%20Creed%20Clean%20My%20Closet%20area%20OUT!%20010.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 1976%20Plymouth%20Volor'E%20EBAY%201%20027.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 2011 4th 025.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 293
V-8 or Super six. i've done both. bottom line is they are both fun. everyone has a V-8 Very few have a super six set up. If cost is a concern the conversion to a 273 will start adding up and is indeed a bit involved. If you go with the super six set up on the 225 you will need to make sure your crank shaft is good to go since you said it has a spun bearing. Here is a typical cost breakdown of the minimal you will have to do to put the 225 back together.

turn the crank shaft apx 125
set of main bearings apx 50
set of oversized rod bearings apx 45
new set of rings apx 35
new gasket set apx 35

once you have the super six 2bl carb set up in place, you can also spend money on a set of Dutra Dual exhaust manifolds or clifford headers for the slant. this will give you dual exhaust and a nice sound. But obviously it increases your cost.

If your 170 is running why not add the super six set up to that and enjoy the car for minimal cost?

remember, all potential horse power gains you get from one or two improvements are directly proportional to all the other "performance" components you add. If you add a bunch of performance bolt ons, then you will start to feel the gains. But if you just do a couple things like a super six, you will feel slight gains. My experience is no matter what you do to it, as long as its running well, you will still have fun driving the car. my slant six dart is just as fun as my 340 charger. So how much money do you want to spend and how much power are you after? make sense? Best of luck GodSpeed.

keni

ps if you need help w the super six conversion, holler. I've done a couple and a happy to help where i can

Cudajim I will tear in to the 225 and see where it stands
If its not a option now I may just mate the 225s automatic to the 170 along with the super six, thanks for the tips MeMike I think I will look into the airbox
Thanks all for the help at this point my priority is to have good gas as well as a automatic since I cant drive a stick for a several months after my back surgery its a fusion and 3 levels...fun.,
kenicb thank you for the overhaul breakdown, I am going to try to do this on the cheap until my Dart gets its new heads and top end, then I would like to add a overdrive manual to the Valiant (depending on how well my surgery goes)
thank you all for the help!

Thanks fabo
Bruce B

If you want mileage, go with the 170. You should be able to get over 20 MPG with it.

I would build the 170. Get the head ported (I read an article that stated the slant 6's respond very well to opening up the bowl part of the ports). Then, you could try a 2 or 4 bbl manifold and carb set up with a good free flowing exhaust. If you don't like the 2 or 4 bbl, you could always go back to the original 1 bbl. For economy, maybe try to find a cam with about 240 - 260 duration and like .400 to .425 lift. My opinion if you go over .450 lift, you will lose some economy.

Larry Shephard used to recommend the 252 cam for the small block for best economy. I believe that it had like .400/.425 lift. This was the stock 360 2 bbl cam. My dad used to drive a 76 Charger with a stock 360 and got 20 MPG highway.

The 170 I had in my 62 valiant-- worked fine-- but the car would not accelerate into traffic. mileage was decent at approx 22mpg highway.

I swapped a used 225 in nothing-- else-- mileage very close to the same- but I could get into traffic very easily then,.
mind you, I'm in Wichita, Kansas & traffic isn't as bad as the big cities-- but the rude drivers are always present// the land around here is flat as can be---

go 225 & mod that thing-- you'll have the different slant & decent power.
Lawrence

I have a 2 barell carb from a 273 I will use
Does anyone see a problem with this carb and its connections
I will also add a 2.25 exhaust pipe with a turbo muffler and a petronix ignition then will re evaluate after surgery as this car is for sale
thank you all for the advice.
I will post again if I have a problem with anything,
Fabo Rocks

Bruce B.

-
Back