Super Stock Spring Reconditioning

-

The A-Body Guy

The A-Body Guy
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a documented reconditioning process or a kit to renew a used set of SS springs?

Are there parts that should be replaceed or just clean them, install new bushings and spray some paint on them?

Thank you in advance.

PMW

I took mine off my 74. Wire wheeled them and painted with industrial paint I got at work. Put new shims in and added a leaf.
I wish I’d have put new bushings in now

Sagging is the biggest issue with most springs and especially with SS springs. There is the process of re-arcing the springs if you can find someone who knows how to do it. (Re-arcing all of them instead of just one or just adding one.) As for front bushings, if aluminum is too harsh, poly is a good option. New springs would be nice but the longevity may not be there and "Launcher" springs by Tri-City Competition are no longer made. They seem to last forever (I have an old, very well used F-body set on an Aspen wagon showing no signs of sag. But Cal-Tracs probably helped with their discontinuation.

If they're sagging, I'd replace them rather than re-arcing them. The SS springs I've seen weren't very good at keeping their arc. If it's a drag car, maybe adding a leaf or two would help along with the re-arc. If it's a street car, just get a nice new set of heavy duty springs from ESPO or General Spring.

-
Back