super stock springs or not

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I am setting up a 1974 Dart Swinger for my wife to race as a Bracket car. I have a question for the brains of this Forum. I was planning on getting a set of Super Stock Springs for it. It will be a 318(to start with for seat time. We will be building a 360HP after she gets seat time.) 727 with a 4:56 spool. I am moving the springs in so that they are under the frame to give me tire space. We will be running 30x10x15's on it. The question was asked of me, do I need S/S springs IF i am moving them under the frame? I hadn't thought of that so here I am asking all of you.

Thank you.

I used B body springs. They're not as hard as ss but harder than stock.

You are doing exactly what my wife and I did a few years ago. I built her a 75 swinger, we started with a 318 and moved up to a 360. We eventually got her down to 12.95 at 104 and now she wants to run 11's. :dontknow:
They can get the sickness just like us. LOL8)

To answer your question I used the 2800 SS springs from Mancini and they worked just fine for me. 60's were in the 2.0 range. We put a couple of clamps on the front sections and got some 3 way adjustable shocks and they dropped to 1.8. There are probably better (and more expensive) way's to hook up your car but I have read about guys in the 11's and even deep into the 10's still running them and you can't beat the price.

what gears are you running in your wife's car? What is the weight on it? as for the sickness, let me tell you this story. When I got the car and asked her if she wanted to do it, the response was yes, that would be cool. I asked her how fast she wanted to go, her response was, " Fast enough to beat your Dad." I just thought to myself, oh Sh**, here we go. He lives in CA and we are in OR, he is building a mid/low 11 Duster.

It had 4.10's. I weigh 215 and it was 3440 with me in it and a half a tank of gas.
I am glad me and my wife got to do this together. You guys are going to have such a blast. She started with a 200,000 mile tired 318 that ran 18.6 with an open rear and 2.45 gear. LOL.

yes ,wieght.the car first, then get the springs for that wieght...p snubber ....50 50 shocks....good luck

318 / 360?
+ 30 x10 tire..
I wouldnt worry about SS springs on the car yet. Unless the old ones are completely shot. Run some decent slicks on it and it WILL hook. You do NOT need an aftermarket pinion snubber .

Try the clamping on the stock ones first--its cheap and easy. go to carpetperfect.com for details on clamping them

Dont get talked into fancy rear shocks (unless you are blasting 700hp) . I have personally tested a bunch on my Dart and i can tell you this :

I have 90's 3/4 ton truck shocks on mine now ($32 a pair, ebay) --car ET's and 60's the same as all the other ones ive tried.

So if I am understanding you correctly I can use the springs that are on the 8-3/4 now and just move them under the frame? I am hoping that moving them will give me enough room for the slicks without having to tub it. Time will tell as I am about ready to take it to have the Rear end cut down and put in. I plan on using 4:30 gears w/spool. Think that will be sufficient for it? Also any advice on a Stall convertor? I have no knowledge on this subject except how to install one. LOL. I was planning on 2800-3200, might be a little high for the 318 but it is only a temp thing, a year or so, then I know my wife and she will want to go faster so I will be building her a 360 probably. I figure to have her in the mid to high 10's before it is all said and done.

So if I am understanding you correctly I can use the springs that are on the 8-3/4 now and just move them under the frame? I am hoping that moving them will give me enough room for the slicks without having to tub it. Time will tell as I am about ready to take it to have the Rear end cut down and put in. I plan on using 4:30 gears w/spool. Think that will be sufficient for it? Also any advice on a Stall convertor? I have no knowledge on this subject except how to install one. LOL. I was planning on 2800-3200, might be a little high for the 318 but it is only a temp thing, a year or so, then I know my wife and she will want to go faster so I will be building her a 360 probably. I figure to have her in the mid to high 10's before it is all said and done.

what cam ? that will help on the stall selection . With a 430 gear in there a 2800-3200 will be in the ballpark

Well to be completely honest, I have no idea what cam it is. The engine has a Factory Roller Cam in it. It is a 1984 318 with the 302 Cast Heads.

I am setting up a 1974 Dart Swinger for my wife to race as a Bracket car. I have a question for the brains of this Forum. I was planning on getting a set of Super Stock Springs for it. It will be a 318(to start with for seat time. We will be building a 360HP after she gets seat time.) 727 with a 4:56 spool. I am moving the springs in so that they are under the frame to give me tire space. We will be running 30x10x15's on it. The question was asked of me, do I need S/S springs IF i am moving them under the frame? I hadn't thought of that so here I am asking all of you.

Thank you.

I would skip the clamps. the springs are not that money and will GREATLY improve your hook.
A friend w/68 dart 370ci, w2 head, 4spd,4.57 and bfdrgradl's tried calmps w/old but not shot springs and no bueno.
So I recommended s.s springs, he then bought 003,002 for 3000lb abody and WORLD of difference [it actually hooks].
I also run these street/strip no problems.
But I do have the mancini lowering front hangers so it doesn't stink bug.

thats not a lot of cam / motor for that 4:56 .........too much gear in my opinion, even with a 30 tire

I was planning on 4:30's not 4:56's. Is that still too much gear? I didn't want to have to put a whole bunch of money into the 318 since it is just a temp motor for really nothing more than seat time. That is the only reason that I am was not planning on doing the cam. I was told that since it was a roller that it would handle the RPM's with the big gears. Is that not the case?

I was planning on 4:30's not 4:56's. Is that still too much gear? I didn't want to have to put a whole bunch of money into the 318 since it is just a temp motor for really nothing more than seat time. That is the only reason that I am was not planning on doing the cam. I was told that since it was a roller that it would handle the RPM's with the big gears. Is that not the case?

Well, with that 30" tire and a 4.30, you can run 114mph and be at 5500 RPM in third gear. I don't see that combo running 114 mph so I think you'll be fine.

That seems like a helluva lot of tire to me. I don't think you need to worry about springs at that power level.

496dart: What kind of 60' times do you get?

Steve

yea but a 318 with a stock cam - mild heads isnt going to pull like crazy above 6000 , i think you could run it if you are just getting seat time like u said ? definately go 4:30 or less with that setup, just my opinion..

Lxguy- my best so far is 1.48 , still havent ran it on a day with great air..

you should have no trouble hooking up with slicks and the stock leafs with that H.P. level.(moved in or not )
spend the $$ on other things.....

as for S.S leafs, I run 3000lb springs,comp adj rear shocks,pinion snubber,90/10 in front,on street tire(et radials) I foot brake a 1.47 60' with no problem, well out of the 10's !

Dumb question, 90/10 front, ????? What is that?

Seat Time, well she has never taken anything down the track and I don't want to put the controls to a missile in her hands until she can run the rocket if you know what I mean.

Super stock springs are the bes tsuspension mod you can buy. I got mine on ebay for the cost of one spring new. We have a 67 Valiant with a small block and our 60fts are in the 1.7 range. This a daily driver pumpgas motor . We run 4.56 gears , 4200 stall , tti headers and a thermoquad. The only street tires that hook are bfg s . Our springs are moved in so we have room for 325-50-15s . These bad boys hook as I have videos of the left front wheel in the air. It runs consistant 12.30s and will go 11s when I get some jets made this winter. Hard to thermoquad parts but anybody can run a holley.

Funny that you should post that about the TQ. Since that has been one of my next items of pondering. Carb, and Distributor what do the masses think on these topics? I was thinking a 650 CFM on the Carb, probably Edelbock ? For ease of use. Holley for reputation ? Then comes Ignition? Never used a box before but have been told by others MSD is the way to go. What model or series do I need to invest in?

The Holley will give significantly better performance than an Edelbrock. If you want easy, get a Street Avenger. I just put a 670 Street Avenger on my 318. Plug and Play.

For an ignition box, I highly recommend the Mallory Hyfire VI.

This one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294925143+400249+4294925127+115&autoview=sku

Its not a lot more money than the base MSD, but you get a ton more stuff. Two step, 12V ignition retard, etc. Instead of having to use a tiny screwdriver to make adjustments, you get an illuminated LCD with an up or down arrow, which is way easier if you have to change something in the lanes. The best thing is it comes with a wiring harness, so that if you ever have to pull the thing out of the car, you don't have to rewire the whole deal to put it back in. It's also quieter than the MSDs I've had of you want to put it inside the car.

-
Back