Super tuning car runs good shooting for great

-
So how would you know what the timing is at while at a certain load without a chassi dyno? drive around with a vacuum gauge and log the vacuum readings at different speeds, hook up a vacuum pump to the distributor and right down the corresponding timing?

well I bumped the timing to 17-34 closed off the secondaries hooked up the vacuum advance. ran like crap. opened the secondaries back up kept the ported vacuum hooked up. ran better.

you beet me to it

Has your oil psi changed at all from start of all thos? Slightly less oil psi (due to possable increased clearance in rod bearing) would be another clue to say rod bearing/s. If it was a wrist pin oil psi wouldn't change at all. Any shiny ness to the engine oil at all?

Has your oil psi changed at all from start of all thos? Slightly less oil psi (due to possable increased clearance in rod bearing) would be another clue to say rod bearing/s. If it was a wrist pin oil psi wouldn't change at all. Any shiny ness to the engine oil at all?

oil pressure hasn't changed
cut open the filter no metal

Man thats shi..y! Please let us know what is found. Im guessing piston pin or rod bearing. Did you ever yank the plug wire off the offending cylinder to see if it changed it at all?

well i brought the filter material to the engine builder and he said it looked normal. I will yank a plug wire on the drive home.

Noise is drstically reduced with number eight unhooked.

Took the remflex header gasket out. Number 2 had a spot not sealing. Put some high temp copper in the front bottom corner.

Took it for a drive without letting it warm up. Made it 3 miles without the noise.

Cold no noise
#8 plug wire removed reduces noise drastically.

Last edited:
well motor is coming out. If it's something major I have a 318 I could throw in.

Last edited:
new bearings should be here tomorrow. throw in a new set or should something else be looked into?

Make DAM sure the journals are round & also make triple sure of your bearing clearance! The old school way of poor boy crank polishing is to wrap some 1000 grit sand paper around the journal. (With lube) then wrap an old leather shoe lace around the paper & pull back and forth a few times. Its getto, but it works if the journal is round. Pulling the spark plug is a real good/quick way to isolate it down to eather the piston pin or as you found a smoked rod/bearing.

opened up the secondary transfer slot 1/2 turn. was able to turn all 4 idle mixture screws 1/2 turn out. manifold vacuum went from bouncing around 10 to a marginally steady 12. pretty sure the run on/dieseling was caused from the harley davidsones rev before shutting it off hahaha

-
Back