supercharged small blocks and other goodies

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
was wondering if there are any guys blown mopar small blocks in darts on this site, would be cool to see some pics, am planning on going with a 318 or a 360, as I have gone away from the slant six idea, I just love the rumble of a V8 too much I guess, but I still have a supercharger, so I may aswell use it on the V8

Nahhh... You don't need no stinkin' supercharger. Just send it to me, I'll dispose of it for ya. :)

Just giving you a hard time. :-D Is it a roots or centrifigul style supercharger? I spoke with a guy over at Dick Landy's a while back about their roots kit. They said 450hp was easily obtainible with a relatively small cam and the bigger the cam you go with the gains are exponential. Lot's more to this than just that though... Give me some info.

blower is off of a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8 v6, will be making my own aluminim intake for it. It is an EATON M90, based on a Roots, has 3 vein rotors, bypass valve so it takes basically 2HP to run it at say 60MPH, versus a Roots taking 30HP to run at 60MPH. Bought it off of ebay origionally intending it to go on a slant 6, but I can't seem to find a friggin slant six anywhere around here. My buddies father-in-law has a rotten 72 Duster with a 318 in it, so there is my K-member and other stuff to do the swap from slant to the V8.

What would you guys recommend for a cam and carb CFM?? I was figuring on a compression ratio of 8:1 or something like that.

I think that blower would not produce enough boost without overdriving the crap out of it. This is a blower that was designed to produce maybe 6 psi on a 3.8L. Drop it on a 5.9L and you'd be lucky to get 4 psi. A 5.2L maybe 5 psi with a tiny cam.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

LOL its quite alright, I am young and eager to learn from the wise ones on this page, thanks for being honest with me. I think I would like to try it though, might use it for another project if it doesn't turn out. No big loss, got it "super" cheap off of a total wreck car.

I found this info on the M90 blower

The Eaton Model 90 supercharger was engineered for 3.0L to 5.7L passenger cars and light truck engines. It was designed as a compact, flexible supercharger for increased power without adversely affecting fuel economy. The M90 has proven to be suitable for other engine sizes depending on overall system requirements.

Most installations see a realistic 40% plus increase in power output.

one site said the more cam overlap the more boost....I kind of undertand that, but could you explain it for the young guy lol

even if I only gain say 50Hp lol thats good enough for me

LOL its quite alright, I am young and eager to learn from the wise ones on this page, thanks for being honest with me. I think I would like to try it though, might use it for another project if it doesn't turn out. No big loss, got it "super" cheap off of a total wreck car.

I found this info on the M90 blower

The Eaton Model 90 supercharger was engineered for 3.0L to 5.7L passenger cars and light truck engines. It was designed as a compact, flexible supercharger for increased power without adversely affecting fuel economy. The M90 has proven to be suitable for other engine sizes depending on overall system requirements.

Most installations see a realistic 40% plus increase in power output.

one site said the more cam overlap the more boost....I kind of undertand that, but could you explain it for the young guy lol

even if I only gain say 50Hp lol thats good enough for me

50hp to design and fabricate your own intake manifold for a roots SC is admirable, but don't forget that (I'm making an educated guess) this SC was designed for for fuel injection and has a mount for a throttle body that is application (manufacturer) specific. I've been looking into building my own computer for fuel injection and the specifics are detailed here: http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Get your calculator out, it's a fun ride when super/turbocharging are involved.

Yes, the more overlap the cam has, the harder the supercharger will have to work to provide boost. Overlap is the amount (in degrees of crankshaft rotation) that both the intake and exhaust valves are open. The scope of this goes beyond this particular post, but please ask questions, we are all here to learn and I can answer most if not all questions in regards to cam LCA and overlap somewhat intelligently and with some real world insight. :) There are many members here that can expound and or add as well as correct any mistakes I may make in regards to this particular facet of your inquisition. :read2:

I know I am utterly pi$$ed off, I was really looking forward to supercharging a slant 6, every single one I have found is blown or siezed. And yes the supercharger was origionally for a fuel injected.

wont work unless fuel injected to meet same cam and timing roll
have seen others try but switch to turbo better power.
neat thought !

Yeah, I think it could be made to move the air (pulley sizes messed with to spin it more)... but with that faster spinning comes more power to drive. If you compare the 2hp to the 30hp, you see one is x number of pounds boost for 3.9L, and one is x number of pounds boost for 5.7. If the displacement of the supercharger stays the same, you have to take more power to spin it faster too provide the same x lbs of boost on a V8 vs V6. Also, I would be concerned with running fuel thru a supercharger designed to move only air. It's simply not big enough IMO. And certainly cool, but hard to get tto work, and the end result will only be a visual result. Not much for performance. I would find a free /6, and cobble up a Grand national turbo to it.... That might be fun :)

good thing about the M90 blower is the internals from the carb and efi are the same, its just the cases that are different, so I will have to make an elbow and adapter plate for a 4brl, in the slant six section of this site there is a pic of a blown slant with the same blower, the topic is named show us your charged slants---super or turbo

however as you said, the gains may be minimal, but I think I will give it a try just for fun lol

thanx very much, I figure, I have the blower I may aswell try it atleast lol, if all else fails it will make a nice paper weight lol

-
Back