superquad

-

Reaction score
i recently purchased a 1976 tq and i'm super impressed. ive been reading that the best ones are the 72 to 74's but what about the superquads?

Superquad? Never heard one called that.Explain..TQ's are good carbs in the right hands.You either curse them or love em......Look at the Guy's in Stock Classes .........They makem FLY!

i guess i should call them the competition series, i have heard them refered to as superquads.
right now i have a warmed over 340 but this winter i'm going stroker.

superquads are 850 and 100 cfms I believe. Thats a lot of carb even for a spreadbore.

Tq's are awesome. If it werent for the lack of parts more guys would run em..

i recently purchased a 1976 tq and i'm super impressed. ive been reading that the best ones are the 72 to 74's but what about the superquads?

If it's a '76, it ain't a superquad. They were produced beginning in 1979 and going into the eighties. They were also ALL 800 CFM, with high flow jets and metering rods. They are quite difficult to find now. I actually have a REAL nice one right now for sale on ebay. Ain't got but seven more hours. If it doesn't meet my reserve, I'm keepin it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250693336890

i guess i should call them the competition series, i have heard them refered to as superquads.
right now i have a warmed over 340 but this winter i'm going stroker.

The Superquads and Competition series were two different versions of the thermoquad. the Competition series was made from 1969-1970 and those were 950 and 1000 CFM. The superquads were made from 79 through the eighties and were all 800 CFM.

Huh I've never seen a tq with electric choke personally. Knew they were out there. Did they come on mopars?

...............Any superquad thermoquad i;ve ever had has had an electric choke........kim.........

They all did. Mine did when I got it but the choke thermostat was missing. They are HARD to find so I just removed the housing to go with a stove type choke. The only two superquad numbers were 9800S and 9801S. Mine is the 9800S.

Huh I've never seen a tq with electric choke personally. Knew they were out there. Did they come on mopars?

No. they only came on some fords that used the thermoquad and the superquads. All the rest used the divorced stove type choke.

I have an idea.I think an electric choke kit for an edelbrock could be modded to work on the tq with not too much difficulty. For that matter the eletric choke on the rochester is very similar and might work as well.

I'll try it.

I have an idea.I think an electric choke kit for an edelbrock could be modded to work on the tq with not too much difficulty. For that matter the eletric choke on the rochester is very similar and might work as well.

I'll try it.

The Edelbrock is the same size and ALL. It will bolt right on. Know what the problem is? The Thermoquad requires a choke spring that turns backwards compared to the Edelbrock. All you'd have to do would be to remove and flip the coil over, but I don't know if you could without damaging the plastic housing.

Could be also changed by mucking about with the linkage.

The Superquads and Competition series were two different versions of the thermoquad. the Competition series was made from 1969-1970 and those were 950 and 1000 CFM. The superquads were made from 79 through the eighties and were all 800 CFM.

Close, the Competition Series Thermoquads were made in 850 & 1000 cfm sizes, the early versions have press in jets, no stamped numbers on the mounting bosses, and used a tag (4846 = 850cfm, 4847 = 1000 cfm) to help identify them. The later versions had screw in jets, the number (4846SA = 850cfm, 4847SA = 1000 cfm) stamped into the face of the drivers side rear foot face, and no carb tag. All of these used a manual choke and while good race pieces, can be a bit difficult to run on an every day street driven car.

I agree, the Super Quad is a good carb for a mild to moderate performance application, but I wouldn't consider them to be anything "special" in relation to other number TQ's

So how is it that they were able to get 1000 cfm from a tq? What were the mods? Milled choke horn etc?

Yeah it was a typo. I got big caveman fingers.

I heard the Superquads were very hard to keep a good idle, as they were max effort competition carbs. I think they had triple ring boosters and flat portions on the top plate.

-
Back