superstock spring nightmare

-

bellroy

Reaction score
So im working on my super bee instead of my dart for a change... took out my caltrac mono springs because over the last 5 years they flattened out and sagged. they just don't seem to hold up to street use.. So order some new super stock springs from summit for a 3800 lb 69 coronet, the correct front extended hangers, new Hotchkiss rear shackles. well I go to install them tonight, and I started with the pass side spring, front hanger went in good, the axle houseing hole for the spring pin lines up ok, so I go to put in the new rear shackle and the bottom of the shakle looks about 4 inches forward of the upper bushing.I know I have the correct parts , I double checked my part numbers in the mopar performance catalog just to be sure summit didn't mess up. It looks to me like the springs short.... is this the norm for these springs? also because of the caltrac traction bars I had to use the lower hole on the front brackets,wich is going to make the car too high so I think I have to get lowering blocks...has any one run into this forward shackle problem and what can I do about it? thanks for your time mopar brothren ROY:banghead:

Ive had the same issue with the 002/003 SS springs on 2 a bodys as well... im not quite sure why that is

check this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=3558

that page has this picture:
attachment.php

If you have the rear end hanging, the shackles will correct themselves when the weight is on them. Sometimes you have to get a prybar and pry the shackles into place when you get the car on the ground.

If you have the rear end hanging, the shackles will correct themselves when the weight is on them. Sometimes you have to get a prybar and pry the shackles into place when you get the car on the ground.

that is correct...in fact I used my engine hoist to pick up the rear of the car...so the rear end would hang down on it own weight...plus used a pry bar to get the shackles to move back..

that is correct...in fact I used my engine hoist to pick up the rear of the car...so the rear end would hang down on it own weight...plus used a pry bar to get the shackles to move back..

his hanger could have flipped to the front, but i dont think thats what it is... Ive had the same issue where its like the spring is to short, remember i had to make those spacer blocks to correct my shackle angle?

-
Back