Supporting Torque Converter with Engine Out

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I have had my 340 out of the car for several months now while waiting for the machine shop to finish the bottom end rebuild. As soon as I pulled the engine out, I supported the converter with a closed end wrench bolted onto the housing at approximately the 10:00 position on the housing. The wrench was snug up against the converter and has been sitting like that for several months. I am now anticipating that the block will be back in about eight weeks so and I can start the reassembly process. But I was wondering if the front seal on the trans (727) may get damaged by supporting the converter all this time.
Anyone have any issues with the front seal leaking after supporting the converter like mentioned? Should I replace that seal just in case?

Thank you.

Replace it anyhow. Very easy with engine out of the car. Very cheap insurance.

I'd replace it anyway since you have it out, but if you are worried about it, why not just take the converter out?

71Swinger why would you red X someone if you have nothing to add? Frankly, I never considered seal damage, which might be a legit concern.

As stated, replace the seal while you are this far into it, rather than discover the front seal leaking once you go back together. Work smart, not hard!

I have had my 340 out of the car for several months now while waiting for the machine shop to finish the bottom end rebuild. As soon as I pulled the engine out, I supported the converter with a closed end wrench bolted onto the housing at approximately the 10:00 position on the housing. The wrench was snug up against the converter and has been sitting like that for several months. I am now anticipating that the block will be back in about eight weeks so and I can start the reassembly process. But I was wondering if the front seal on the trans (727) may get damaged by supporting the converter all this time.
Anyone have any issues with the front seal leaking after supporting the converter like mentioned? Should I replace that seal just in case?

Thank you.
I think it's a legit concern for the seal. As mentioned, I'd certainly swap it out. I would have removed the converter, though. But no biggie. Seals are cheap enough.

I have a new seal on its way and after I change it, I will just leave the converter off until the engine is ready to go back in.

Thanks everyone!

Do you guys add sealant around the outside diameter of the seal, or install it dry?

Thanks!

I don't know if it's always needed, but I always smear the outer diameter of just about any seal with some RTV when I am installing it.

Do you guys add sealant around the outside diameter of the seal, or install it dry?

Thanks!
Agree with @72Duster440 , it's such a tight fit that it might not be necessary, but a thin film of RTV is good insurance against imperfections the bore may have developed over the years.

When you re-install the converter, take one last look at the impeller hub and make sure there aren't any scores or ridges. And be CAREFUL not to damage the new seal. If you slit the seal somehow during converter installation, you will find out, but it'll be after everything is put back together and the engine is running...

The hub has no scores or ridges, just some polished areas.

IMG_2093.jpeg

-
Back