Supra/lexus ifs swap

-

87bluebird

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using the front suspension system from a 93 to 02 Toyota supra or lexus sc400 or lexus sc300 in an A body? All 3 are the same. They use disc brakes coil over suspension rack and pinion steering, and can be found complete relatively cheap. Wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface is 59 inches. They use the same 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. Replacement parts can be easily sourced and there is alot of aftermarket support for supra so bigger brakes or different types of coil overs could be easily gotten. Which is why I think it should make a good suspension for people who like me want to use there car as a cruiser not a full blown race car and therefore don't want to spend 3-5k on the front suspension. Plus I like fabricating and building stuff myself alot more than buying bolt ons.

For this swap would need to figure out angle of subframe on a donor car so that angle can be duplicated in the angle of the new mounts in the dart. To make sure caster angle will be correct. Not totally sure where I can find that out? Maybe find a junkyard with a car they will let someone measure? Or a straight edge between upper and lower ball joints and an angle finder.
Another part I am not sure of is height and angle of upper coil over Mount In relation to the rest of the suspension.
And I don't know the distance between mounting areas on the supra/lexus subframe.

Also have to make sure it has a left hand drive steering rack most are right hand drive online. The steering rack is the only difference and can be easily swapped.

Would have to make custom motor mount brackets if I do this but that should be fairly easy to do. Most unknown part will be what oil pan would work with this. But that can be figured out after suspension and motor are both in place.

Does anyone else think that this will work? My car is a 76 dart sport lite. Originally was a s6 4 speed car I think. Last motor i believe was in it was a 318 with a 4 speed. Cars been without a motor for several years and just sat untouched in last 2 owners garages and has been in mine for a year now. will finally start working on her very soon. I plan to use a truck 5.7 hemi non vvt and would prefer a 6 speed if I can find one and trying to find a 93-98 Lincoln mark viii independent rear suspension complete subframe. Have not had much finding that yet cougar xr7 and Thunderbird supercoupe are the same and easier to find but the Lincoln uses aluminum and "air springs" it also should not be hard to modify the supra suspension to use an "air spring" like the ones in the front of a Lincoln mark viii to get air ride. The Supra lower coil over Mount bolts to the lower control arm so that mount can be unbolted and replaced with one that fits whatever "air spring" and build the upper coil over Mount to also fit that same one

I will add pictures of the supra suspension soon as I figure out how too

Last edited:
s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg
the other picture did not have a lower control arm this one does lol. The rear cross member (steel one) mostly is used as mounting for the rear leg of the lower control arm. So that could probably be eliminated for engine clearance and just use a mount welded to the darts subframe. One fear I have of doing it that way is you loose alot of the strength the K member gives your front subframe. So would definitely have to find a good way to brace and reinforce the front subframe

I thought about it years ago as my girlfriend had a SC 300 that got vandalized while it was at the local garage for an oil change and insurance wrote it off. At the time I was going to swap the inline 6 Toyota and all the suspension into a 67 Dart... but we sold the house we were living in at the time and I already had 2 project cars apart in the garage so I let never bothered.
The suspension system is a very good design and in my experience holds up amazing as far as durability.... probably the only car or truck we have had in the last 10 years that didn’t need any suspension work by the time it had 60 thousand miles on it driving around the bombed out Winnipeg streets.

Measured the dart inside of frame to inside of frame is 30 inches

outside of the frame to outside the frame of 34.5 inches

So if the supra cross member is 31 inch between bolt holes it should be pretty easy to make it work.

Our subframe is also almost exactly the same width as the f100s there is a couple of threads on about installing these front suspensions. So that is encouraging.
Also will make a cross member probably from tube steel in front of the supra cross member where the sway bar to attach to 5he subframe. also the bracket that goes from radiator core support to stock cross member could be attached to that tube cross member. That should also help provide strength in the front end.

Another measurement I took is between core support and firewall distance is about 3 feet. Axle center line is 2 feet from core support and 1 foot from the firewall roughly. That's not an exact measurement but close.

Last edited:
There is a small hole with a rubber grommet directly above the axle centerline on the inner fenders inside the wheel Wells there's braces going to those holes does anyone know what those are for? That will be about where the upper spring mounts will be.

Sounds like you are looking at the factory upper shock mount

Sounds like you are looking at the factory upper shock mount

Probably I do not think I saw shocks under there at all now that I think of it lol strange that they would have removed them. Makes me wonder what other parts might be missing

Last edited:
Another thing about this suspension is the wheel studs will be metric so would need different lugnuts in the front or will have to change the studs with standard ones

You should know. 88-92 Supra and Lexus SC300/400 are similar but NOT the same. The Supra is narrower than the Lexus even though a-arms can be swapped between them. Lexus is the one you want. Crossmember is aluminum. Supra is steel. Won't fit between the A body frame rails. Lexus will. Just so you know.

Greg

Lexus is the one you want. Crossmember is aluminum. Supra is steel. Won't fit between the A body frame rails. Lexus will. Just so you know.

Greg

Beteeen 67-Up frame rails I’d bet; early A people left out again!

Never thought about the early A bodies. The Mark III 88-92 Supra might work in that case. Don't know though. A tape measure is the most dangerous tool I have in my toolbox.

001.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
You should know. 88-92 Supra and Lexus SC300/400 are similar but NOT the same. The TV Supra is narrower than the Lexus even though a-arms can be swapped between them. Lexus is the one you want. Crossmember is aluminum. Supra is steel. Won't fit between the A body frame rails. Lexus will. Just so you know.

Greg

That's correct for the 88 to 92 but I have been looking at the 93 to 02. 93-02 it's the same between supra and Lexus and both of them are aluminum

sc300_tbird_1-jpg.jpg

This is the 93 to 02 Crossmember alot different then the 88-92s.
the green part is the aluminum cross member. Black part is a Crossmember that connects to rear part of the lower control arm. I will not use that just make some mounts for the lower control arm and weld them mounts to the subframe

Did you do it yourself?
How well did it fit?
What had to be done to make it fit?
What size tires rims and offset are you using?
Did you use sc400 struts or some coilovers?
Did you do any reinforcing of the front of the car?
How does it handle?

It's amazing what a welder and angle grinder can do. Why stop at the subframe? Those UZ motors are gnarly

Did you do it yourself?
How well did it fit?
What had to be done to make it fit?
What size tires rims and offset are you using?
Did you use sc400 struts or some coilovers?
Did you do any reinforcing of the front of the car?
How does it handle?
Yes all work done myself
Fits is good except ground clearance at rear crossmember
Stock sc400 struts
Stock spares sc400 16x7 215 60 16 had 225 50 16 and still tucked under fender
Front is reinforced for weight on shocktowers.
Handling I'd like to know what a rms will do I'm sure this is on part or better

-
Back