Supra swap

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
Has anyone done the supra turbo 5 speed swap?Is it worth it?Will it stand up?

Had one for sale around where I live. It was in an early Abody. I thought I was going to throw up.

Has anyone done the supra turbo 5 speed swap?Is it worth it?Will it stand up?

Not sure why you would want to do this. Anyhow, if you are talking about the newest Supra Turbo [MKIV 93-98]. Then those are 6 speed (V160 Getrag), yes they are plenty strong and can handle upto 700HP easily in stock form. But they will cost you a fortune (over a grand even at junkyard if you can find one). A W58 5 speed from a non turbo will be cheaper (still expensive) but likely give up at around 400HP. A better bet will be a R154 from a MKIII turbo (87-92). They are pretty strong and are much easier to come by.

But again, why would you want to do this? I am not a fan of mixing, keep a mopar to mopar and let a toyota be a toyota. The funny thing is that there are a few Supra drag racer out there who are using 700R4 GM auto tranny at the strip. So what does that tell you?

Not sure why you would want to do this. Anyhow, if you are talking about the newest Supra Turbo [MKIV 93-98]. Then those are 6 speed (V160 Getrag), yes they are plenty strong and can handle upto 700HP easily in stock form. But they will cost you a fortune (over a grand even at junkyard if you can find one). A W58 5 speed from a non turbo will be cheaper (still expensive) but likely give up at around 400HP. A better bet will be a R154 from a MKIII turbo (87-92). They are pretty strong and are much easier to come by.

But again, why would you want to do this? I am not a fan of mixing, keep a mopar to mopar and let a toyota be a toyota. The funny thing is that there are a few Supra drag racer out there who are using 700R4 GM auto tranny at the strip. So what does that tell you?

i always thought that but mopar dosent have a good rwd 5 speed tranny for a car. i like the t5 outta mustangs. i am gonna put that in my scamp. i would like a 6 speed viper tranny but that is some $$$$$ lol

Mopar parts are either non existant in Alberta and Nova Scotia or priced out of this world thank you Barrett Jackson for all you've done,please go away now!So I thought the yards are full of R154's,plus it's a five speed.It's win,win,now for the big but,how hard is it?

tyler I read that,R154 seems to be better being from a turbo car,apparently you can use a bell from an early dakota,don't know if I want to do it or not just looking for more info.

tyler I read that,R154 seems to be better being from a turbo car,apparently you can use a bell from an early dakota,don't know if I want to do it or not just looking for more info.

thats a good point but how they make the clutch work and mounting it might come in handy. that bellhousing would be sweet. a lot cheaper then the aftermarket one for the t5 swap lol

Mopar parts are either non existant in Alberta and Nova Scotia or priced out of this world thank you Barrett Jackson for all you've done,please go away now!So I thought the yards are full of R154's,plus it's a five speed.It's win,win,now for the big but,how hard is it?

Aside from fabricating a mating plate, you will still have potential issue with the fly wheel. What motor are you running? and how much HP? A good clutch on these tranny will set you back several hundred bucks. Lets not forget the tranny mount and drive shaft issue. It is just not worth it.

Steve,I will have to buy a good clutch anyway,not sure what you mean by a mating plate as the R154 is supposed to bolt to the AX-15 bellhousing from a 94-95 2.5L Dak if you go to grassroots motorsports you will find info taken from farleys page.The only issue seems to be hyd. clutch and I think that can be resolved fairly easily.

tyler bellhousing is $50 bills at U-pick,$? for tremac bell kit?I thought I saw this as a kit somewhere,then there are the guys who say that the t5 won't take the abuse.This is exactly I am asking for as much info as I can get.Sid

Steve,I will have to buy a good clutch anyway,not sure what you mean by a mating plate as the R154 is supposed to bolt to the AX-15 bellhousing from a 94-95 2.5L Dak if you go to grassroots motorsports you will find info taken from farleys page.The only issue seems to be hyd. clutch and I think that can be resolved fairly easily.

Don't know anything about Dak bellhousing, if it works... then I guess that is a huge plus. Good luck.

tyler bellhousing is $50 bills at U-pick,$? for tremac bell kit?I thought I saw this as a kit somewhere,then there are the guys who say that the t5 won't take the abuse.This is exactly I am asking for as much info as I can get.Sid

i think the t5 can hold close to 500hp so that is good enough for me but the assurance of the supra trans if it can handle 700 that would be nice

tyler check out grassroots motorsports and dippy.org real interesting info,but before I commit I want to actually talk to someone who street drives one of these swaps.(my wife hasn't shown me how to post a link yet)

Do you know him/her?any contact info?thanks for the video.

Some of that is backwards.

The V160 is impossible to retrofit, and rebuilt ones are over $2000.

The W58's are the ones all over the yards, and I can get them for $50 or less each. They would probably handle 400hp as quoted, but the input shaft is too short and the bolt pattern is different and wont fit the AX15 bell.

The R154 is harder to find and more expensive (I paid $350 for mine, IIRC). They will handle much more power, but they do have a weak link in the thrust washer and they shift harder then a W58.

The W58 and R154 are all Aisin transmissions, same as the ones in the Chevy Colorado and Saturn Sky. Seems like even Dodge has started to use Aisin boxes, but I might be wrong on that.

I went the direction of the R154 because the V8 T5 was too expensive in this area ($800+) and I keep seeing Mustangs for sale needing new T5's. Didn't want to build it and have to keep putting boxes in it.

My swap is a little different than most, though. It's behind a slant (or will be). I would have used the W58 if the input shaft had been long enough, but that end up not working out.

In retrospect, the T5 would have been the much easier swap and probably lived fine in my application, but what's the fun if it's easy. :toothy10:

Search on "R154" on Moparts. You should fine lot's of info there, including the guy from Germany.

I am not sure what part of my note is "backwards" to you. I think we are saying the same thing. V160 = $$$, R154 = $$ best option and when I say "easier" I meant cost and availability vs. the V160, you are right W58 are all the easiest to come by vs the other two, since it has been around from 1982. Never seen one for $50 buck, but it has also been a very long time since I last worked on my Supra.

I am not sure what part of my note is "backwards" to you. I think we are saying the same thing. V160 = $$$, R154 = $$ best option and when I say "easier" I meant cost and availability vs. the V160

Mis-read you there. I see now what you were saying, thought you were saying the R154 is easier to find than the W58.

Part of it was an attempt to answer bigdemo1's comment about R154's being all over the yards.

The W58 I picked up for my swap cost me right around $50, and it wasn't the only one there. In the end it went back to the yard, though. This was at Pull and Save so prices are certainly lower. There is a W58 there now, but prices have gone up and it's $55 now.

-
Back