Sure do miss Good ole SUPER SHOPS. ---- Every Bowtie part you could ever want!

-

OtownMissile

Reaction score
Yeah, we had to order our Mopar stuff, but it got there quick!

Super Shops retro.JPG

There was one walking distance from my house in the 80's.
I went there maybe twice.
Couldn't really afford anything and when I needed something, they didn't have it.

In the early 90's I lived in a different state and the nearest one was 50 miles away.
I ordered a unilite distributor for a 351 cleveland, and it took almost 2 months to get in.
Two times they told me it would be in "next week", and I drove out on Friday, but it wasn't in.

So, not the best experiences for me.

Last edited:
They're still around, just as an online presence- no brick and mortar stores.
Super Shops
Have had mixed experiences with them so far.
I REALLY miss PAW and Hamburger's 340s & 360s Only... yeah, I know Hamburger is still out there, but it's just basically an LS reseller now.

Vaguely remember the one on Dyer St, in northeast El Paso. Kid behind counter couldn't find a simple Chev intake gasket. Was probably a relative of someone who worked there for years. Closed soon after, 1996 or 97 possibly.

Super Shops
I REALLY miss PAW and Hamburger's 340s & 360s Only... yeah, I know Hamburger is still out there, but it's just basically an LS reseller now.
Loved Ed Hamburger's stuf. I think he was the victim of bad marketing. I believe they went under just before the internet craze. Staying content with Mancini Racing, best I can.

Super Shops
PAW and the phonebook sized catalog. man, i miss going to the main warehouse and picking up parts. and they did machine work too!

i bought my carter super competition carb from supershops on van nuys. hell, that was probably the last brick and mortar before they went under.

They're still in business. I don't know if there are brick and mortar stores, but you can mail order from them and they have ebay and amazon stores.

Tognotti's in Sacramento is still around. Haven't been there in 15 years but the recent reviews online for the place are horrid. Wouldn't doubt it if they went out of business because of their customer service alone.

tognotts.jpg

Loved Ed Hamburger's stuf. I think he was the victim of bad marketing. I believe they went under just before the internet craze. Staying content with Mancini Racing, best I can.
Got to go to Ed's place in Tom's River quite a bit with my dad back in the early 70's.
My uncle knew him well.

Bought my first set of drag radials for my 73 charger back in the 90's at super shops.

I thought I would give the "new" super shops a try, maybe about a year ago. They had my order all screwed up. I tried for several weeks to get it straightened out. Finally gave up. About six months later the billed my credit card for additional money. I did owe them that money (one of the things I was trying to get fixed), but they never notified me they were going to charge my card ahead of time. Only found out about it when I got my card statement.
PS: They say they don't save card numbers after the order is complete.

We had one in Louisville (KY) in the 80s, I still bought most of my items from the local "Carter's Speed Shop" which was about a mile down the street from Super Shops. Max Carter (owner's son) won one of the first Fastest Street Car Shootouts back in the 90s.

I thought I would give the "new" super shops a try, maybe about a year ago. They had my order all screwed up. I tried for several weeks to get it straightened out. Finally gave up. About six months later the billed my credit card for additional money. I did owe them that money (one of the things I was trying to get fixed), but they never notified me they were going to charge my card ahead of time. Only found out about it when I got my card statement.
PS: They say they don't save card numbers after the order is complete.
I thought I'd give them a try, too.
I ordered a carb through them- "In stock, ready to ship". After a full year of jerking me around, no longer in stock, waiting for resupply (what happened to in stock, ready to ship?), no response to emails and no follow through on our phone discussions, they said they were cancelling my order. Called back to verify my refund- "Oh, we don't charge your card until we ship". Huh? I used Paypal at the time of order. We don't have a record of that. Sent them copies of the Paypal payment, and notified Paypal. My money got refunded almost immediately.
Their prices are nothing out of the ordinary, I no longer trust whether they even stock what they claim to have in inventory, and their bookkeeping sucks.
Live and learn.

-
Back