Sure Grip conversion

-

62 Signet

62 Signet
Reaction score
I am wanting to convert a 7.25 open rear end in my 62 Valiant to a Sure Grip. Can this be done without swapping out the entire rear end? I have found one out of a '67 Valiant but am not sure whether it will fit. Also, can my present open ring gear be used on the Sure Grip to keep the ratio the same as I now have (3.23)? Any help would be appreciated.

I have to tell you, that as weak as these axles are, I see no future in putting any money into them. You should easily find an A body 8 1/4, or if you have aspirations of going "big bolt pattern" you have lots of options including stuff like Ford Ranger and Jeep axles

I am interested in this also. I also have a 62 Valiant and I want to stay with the 7.25 for the lighter weight. ( I'm setting up for economy ) I'd like to go bbp and thinking about sure grip but I'm staying with a /6 and not hot rodding it so will not need anything stronger.

I agree. I am trying to keep the car as original as possible with a few modifications to help performance. Since this will be a Sunday afternoon driver, I'm not too worried about it not holding up under a heavy foot.

If you really want to do this, the 7 1/4 is built by Spicer, but I don't know what Spicer series they are, which normally carry numbers (like the famous Dana 60) such as 25, 30, 41, 44, etc. I don't know if stuff like the Jeeps ever used the same axle splines, but if they did this will widen your availability for various types of limited slip devices.

7.25" Sure Grips exist, but are extremely difficult to find. The easier option is a rear end swap.

Good luck either way!

If you put a sure grip unit in it and go for Sunday drives with a "heavy foot" (your own words, not mine) you WILL break it. The Statesboro, Georgia area is a hell of a place to have to walk any distance for help. I think I'd upgrade to an 8.25. Really, trying to keep that car "as original as possible" will do nothing for the value, since the car is a low line model to begin with. No offence. I have a base model 63 Dart, so I have the same situation. The very first mod I did to mine was an 8.750 upgrade.

I am wanting to convert a 7.25 open rear end in my 62 Valiant to a Sure Grip. Can this be done without swapping out the entire rear end? I have found one out of a '67 Valiant but am not sure whether it will fit. Also, can my present open ring gear be used on the Sure Grip to keep the ratio the same as I now have (3.23)? Any help would be appreciated.

So the real question is will the 67 sure grip unit fit in your 62. I cant give you a answer other than take them apart and measure

Why not just swap the whole rear axle?
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they will fit. I used to go to a wrecking yard and get a carrier with intact spider gears out of whatever was upside down or in a position that was easy to work on and stick them in whatever 7-1/4 I was working on. Never checked what year they were and never had a problem...but I might have just been lucky. The whole axle assembly swap from the 67 to yours would be really simple.

Just an fyi...I have a rebuilt 7.25 sure grip with 3.23 gears all new clutches and WAS going to swap out my open end third member on my 66 barracuda...

WAS is the key word to keep it "original looking". Well.. that backfired in my face with the tune of several hundreds of dollars wasted. Why? The suregrip wouldn't fit in the 7.25 I have. It appears my 7.25 had shims and not adjusters. This made it impossible to install the sure grip. (Among other reasons)

I was able to find a 8 3/4 B body that had the perches moved and i will rebuild it once I "BLOW" out my 7.25.

The thing is I thought like you and in my mind told everyone...I can do it! I don't care what some internet voice tells me....Well I'm here to tell you...97% of the time the fabo members are correct on this "SWAP IT OUT" opinion.

BTW...I have a great rebuilt 7.25 sure grip clutch type 3rd member for sale if you want to buy it....NOT MUCH OF A SALESMAN am I? LOL

Aloha Mike

the 67 valiant rear will be a direct swap(2.76 gears?)-- swapping just the gears probably not--- Charlie S would know -- over at slantsix.org--- the sure grip will hold up to most anything you do--- for that matter your 7.25 will probably be ok, the 1 in my old 62 is still going. Lawrence

-
Back