Sure grip or not.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Dont know much about the 8 1/4 rear, so after geting to know my Duster I have been into the throttle,from a dead stop foot of the brake nail it booth tires burn rubber leaving 2 black marks, when i foot brake only 1 black burn out.So what do I have.

Kind of weird, jack up the rear and spin one tire if they both go in the same direction track lok. They go different open carrier. Should be a tag on one of the bolts also

Dont know much about the 8 1/4 rear, so after geting to know my Duster I have been into the throttle,from a dead stop foot of the brake nail it booth tires burn rubber leaving 2 black marks, when i foot brake only 1 black burn out.So what do I have.

Jack it up and spin one tire, watch the other side. If the other side turns in the same direction it's a suregrip, if it spins in the opposite direction it's open.

My guess based on your description, is that it's open.

Good mornings guys,I have jack it up over the winter and booth spin same only tag i found says 276 gear .

The one wheel with the brake on can be a few things, one the brakes are adjusted different from side to side two the clutch pack in the sure grip is staring to give out and three the fluid was changed without putting friction modifier in with it. To be positive open the cover and take a lookey in there.

Eons ago a friend of mine in HS bought a '68 Fury III (what kid in HS does that?) with an 8.75" that would do the same. About six years later of him beating it I bought it from him for I think $50 with a blown engine. Got a useable trans and to my dismay an open 8.75".
Get one of these and take a look................
Mini Endoscope for Smart Phones

You better not peg-leg it then. When you do that, the tire speed doubles from what the speed-O says. And all the power is going round and round with the spiders. All both of them. When the oil gives up at least one spider will seize to the crosspin.And that's when things come to a halt.And then you call a tow-truck. And then you buy a new SG. Usually.....
Sometimes it will snap the retaining pin. Then the Cross-pin can come out the back; if you're lucky. But it could go anywhere. And if it jams, everything comes to a screeching halt. And you are walking.

The Trac-locs are built different. But the spiders are smaller. And the cross-pins too.But at least they cannot come flying out the back.But it would be a real shame to destroy a trac-loc.

Last edited:
-
Back