Sure grip swap

-
Yes,, measure the back-lash of the gears you're going to use,, and re-set it to that on re-assembly.. Make sure both mating surface are perfect..

If you leave the pinion alone,, you won't need to replace a "crush sleeve" if your case uses one..

If you don't know the history of the diff, it may be prudent to totally diss-assemble, inspect, and replace bearings/seal/crush sleeve as nec..

I may be trying to read too much into this. If what you want to do is to put a SG diff into an existing 489 case with 3.55 R&P, no problem. It is exactly as Inertia says.

If the existing case is not a 489, then the R&P from the existing case will not swap into the 489. The pinion sizes are smaller and the center case length is different which may call for a drive shaft swap, too.

I may be trying to read too much into this. If what you want to do is to put a SG diff into an existing 489 case with 3.55 R&P, no problem. It is exactly as Inertia says.

If the existing case is not a 489, then the R&P from the existing case will not swap into the 489. The pinion sizes are smaller and the center case length is different which may call for a drive shaft swap, too.

I want to swap a 489 sure grip diff into a 741 sure grip case

Sure grip will work on any 8 3/4. Ring and pinion will not.

-
Back