Suregrip issues?

-

HR5058

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rear of car is up in air, in park, and rear tires still turn. I guess I have never had this issue before. I wouldn’t think that would be normal.

Yes. Are they turning opposite of each other or is the drive shaft turning the transmission and the left and rear wheels spinning the same direction?

Driveshaft is not turning, and they rotate opposite of each other. This is a clutch type sure grip.

Both my SG when trans in park (or gear for my manual) both tires lock up.

That is what I was afraid of. I knew I was going to need a spool sooner or later. Thanks.

Either the clutch unit is ENTIRELY wasted, or there isn't really one there. Tires turning in opposite directions is indicator 101, of an open rearend.

If I were to bet....... open.

FYI you can rebuild the clutch unit.
Thanks. I thought about it but worried that it may not stand up to what I put on it when racing. Anyone know how much torque/hp a suregrip can take? I’m guessing I am about 500 hp and 530ish torque. I have a low first gear in the 904 transmission along with the 3800 stall converter. I leave on the brake at 3400. Carr weighs with me in about 3300 pounds.

Either the clutch unit is ENTIRELY wasted, or there isn't really one there. Tires turning in opposite directions is indicator 101, of an open rearend.

If I were to bet....... open.
Absolutely not open, I put the rearend in myself, that’s why I know it’s a clutch type and not a cone. But I agree, it sounds like it’s completely wasted, which now leads me to believe that was the issue all along when Racing a couple weeks ago

Your car and mine sound about the same, weight and horsepower wise. I don't have a brake however.(in my mopar), (I didn't realize that you race, thinking you may have just been told it was a suregrip).
I'm using a Detroit locker, and it works fine for what I'm doing. And yes, you can rebuild the clutch type. To be honest, in your place I would probably freshen the sure grip and sell it, put the proceeds towards a spool. The transbrake is the factor that would cause me to move to a spool, I use a spool in my car with a brake.

Edit: assuming an 8 3/4, now would be a good time to move up to a 35 spline spool and axles.

Yeah, it’s a drag and drive car with a pre eagle Gen 3 engine. Bored and stroked to 6.7 (410CI). A lot of my buddies that do the drag and drives use spools but the are a lot faster then me.

IMG_8158.png

IMG_8423.jpeg

I’m guessing I am about 500 hp and 530ish torque. I have a low first gear in the 904 transmission along with the 3800 stall converter. I leave on the brake at 3400. Carr weighs with me in about 3300 pounds.
Well that changes things, lol, I'm with ya on the spool

FYI you can rebuild the clutch unit.
Depending on the type, the Dana sure grip that has the V-ramp to lock the clutches can take allot of abuse.
Chrysler used them up to 1968.
The aftermarket spring type is not the best but better than cone.
Spools aren't the best if you do allot of street driving.Occasional street use is your discretion.
Your car is really light.

Ok this is perfectly normal if u have a 65 and older clutch type. They do not have the coved or beveled clutches to put preload on the side gears. The rely on the ramps to preload the side gears. You do not have a wasted unit. The newer 66 thru 68 had the beveled clutch plates. 1 on each side to help preload the side gears. You can only buy the newer discs. They can be installed i your old unit if u want. If you’re worried about it u can send it to me. I’ll gladly take it off your hands for scrap price. Kim

-
Back