surface rust on chrome.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this so its here. I have some chrome valve covers id like to use. the chrome is nice in about 95% of the area but in a few there is some rust/surface rust. Id like to figure a way to clean them up without damaging the chrome?

Go to a motorcycle shop and pick up a tube of Simichrome. End of problem...

Try steel wool. The problem is that the rust will come back if it id not fixed one way or another

You could use Evaporust. It won't harm the chrome finish.

SOS pads. they are $3 at most grocery stores. they have a soapy chemical in them already so when you get them wet they foam up and help lube the area. it will cut the rust in seconds and the soap in them helps not to tear the part up. works awesome.

Hate to go against the grain here, but......I would NOT use steel wool!! Steel wool comes in different coarseness and will scratch chrome unless you can find a very soft one. I think even the softest can still scratch it though. I would only go with steel wool if it the chrome is already damaged and/or pitted a bit.

If mine, I would apply some Naval Jelly and let it set for about 10 minutes, in a warm area if possible, not super cold. Then rub it off with one of those blue disposable shop paper towels or Scotch-Brite. (Might have to do this 2 or 3 times, depending on how thick the rust is) I then use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish (and a Scotch-Brite pad) after I get the majority of the thick rust off. You might have to do a lot of rubbing, but that's okay......you'll be amazed at what you can "bring back".

I've used tin foil and WD40 before and it works wonders too!

Simichrome is made to polish and protect chrome. I discovered it in the 70s when I stupidly left my Triumph Daytona sitting out one winter under a tarp. When i uncovered it in the spring the chrome was green where it wasn't rusty. Went to the shop where I bought the bike, told them what happened, and wanted to know which parts they had in stock for replacement. Bill just smiled and handed me a tube of Simichrome. You put a little dab on a rag and rub until the chrome is shiny. Works like a streak and lasts all season...

NO not steel wool, bronze wool will do the trick and wont put big scratches in the chrome and it will polish it a little as well.

Thanks fellas some great ideas here. Ill try a few. Ive used 000 steel wool in the past it seemed to work ok. But will give these other things a shot. Thanks.

If it's rusting in some places and not in others, what's good now will not last forever and the existing rust will eventually creep to the rest of the metal under the chrome ... and then it will start falling off in sheets. Strip them completely (a chrome shop can do that for you with chemicals) and start over with a fresh chrome job.

Or maybe you can get them powder coated. :-D

If it's rusting in some places and not in others, what's good now will not last forever and the existing rust will eventually creep to the rest of the metal under the chrome ... and then it will start falling off in sheets. Strip them completely (a chrome shop can do that for you with chemicals) and start over with a fresh chrome job.

Or maybe you can get them powder coated. :-D

Some have told me that by the time you factor in the chrome job and shipping, you are better off buying new bumpers. Does it come down to having a chrome shop near you?

Have used 0000 steel wool on my motorcycle chrome for years. 0000 is the softest steel wool I know of and does not damage the surface, but check hard to see area 1st

As far as SOS pads, they will damage surface if used with any pressure

Most chrome cleaner/ polishing will clean and protect unless deeply pitted

I also use SEMICHROME some of the best polish that I have ever used and a little goes a long way. Polished the aluminum on my prowler with it and doing by hand got a very shiny surface with protection that last a long time.

Once chrome starts to rust it is like anything else metal, IT WILL CONTINUE. To keep it from rusting will require frequent cleaning and protection.

If you like them and can live with it great, if not get some new ones or send them to our favorite powder gal. (Who would have ever thought that one woman would buy that much powder)

I'm with the SOS pads the soap in the pad acts as a lubricant and it will remove the rust WITHOUT DAMAGE to the chrome. Any damage will be from the rust itself. I use them all the time on lightly rusted chrome.

Semi Chrome is great for polishing aluminum , brass etc, I don't use it on Chrome it leaves a film.

For now... Id really like to clean these up to be presentable. These arent the valve covers i plan to keep but i have them now and will use them until i find a set. Id like some of them fabricated ones but budget dont allow for that now.

-
Back