surprised no one is bidding on this

-

696pack

Reaction score
I don't get on this forum very often as I no longer have any B bodies but thought I would pass this along if no one has spoted it yet.

Not sure why no one is bidding on this as the opening bid sounds more than fair as these engines have some unique features. Maybe I am missing something. The guy is a mustang guy and I don't think he understands that the casting date could easily be a 68 for a 69 engine. I have not contacted him just looking at his screen name. I have no interest in it just thought I would pass it along.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180652354920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

No surprise here. It's too damn much.

Yeah. Just for a 383? For it to really be worth some bucks, I'd need the car it originally came out of, which I do not have. Therefore to me it is worth it's weight in scrap, which is probably about 75 bucks give or take.

No argument there at all. It's a great foundation. I'd love to build a stock bore and stroke 383.

383 is a good motor some were 10.5 to 1 comp from the factory, they just are not very rare they were the standard C-body engine and B-body to I think, so they made thousands of them

It's $850 for an engine in unknown condition that only has real value if you are the owner of the car that it matches.

What will surprise me is if it gets a bid at all.

Yeah. Just for a 383? For it to really be worth some bucks, I'd need the car it originally came out of, which I do not have. Therefore to me it is worth it's weight in scrap, which is probably about 75 bucks give or take.
x2 around here 383s running go for less, maybe 400. or so

Yea everythings an "HP" nowadays. The only way it's worth that price is if a person saw it run strong before pulling it. God only knows what it looks like inside. 400 clams tops and that's with either 906 or 915 heads.

Why bid when there is a day left?? Drives me crazy when people bid with 3 or 4 days left...more often that not its a friend of the seller trying to boost the price.

why bid at all? why is this thread still active? why is there air?
oh my brain hurts!

Yea everythings an "HP" nowadays. The only way it's worth that price is if a person saw it run strong before pulling it. God only knows what it looks like inside. 400 clams tops and that's with either 906 or 915 heads.

But IF it has 915 heads they won't be the big exhaust valve...unless somebody swapped um out cause all they came on was the 440 in 1967 only. Kinda long shot there. lol

But IF it has 915 heads they won't be the big exhaust valve...unless somebody swapped um out cause all they came on was the 440 in 1967 only. Kinda long shot there. lol

One of the first mods back in the days was to switch the small valves for the biggies on the 915's. I've also learned over the years that it's a waste of time guessing what heads are on a 383 or 440 a person's considering since lot of time has passed and until you actually pull the covers and check the numbers you could end up with a 1/2 dozen different casting numbers. Hell I did a 383 a couple years ago for a friend that had a big valve 915 on one side and a 452 on the other. Ya just never know and he was sure that it had been running for at least 10 yrs. like that.:-k

just the oil pan is worth 500.00

EXACTLY!!!

From my original post:

Not sure why no one is bidding on this as the opening bid sounds more than fair as these engines have some unique features.

Boy, you guys certainly look at things differently than many in the hobby do.

Maybe your not into the matching numbers thing. This engine is from an original 383 big block GTS. Regardless if you have the original car it belongs in, SOMEONE with an original 383 GTS that is close to that V.I.N. or even the casting date it will certainly increase the value of the car with this engine.

I just sold a known 1969 440-6 engine (original car was junked years ago) needing rebuild for $1500. and the guy was happy to get it and pay shipping across the country. Since selling it I have had two others contact me to see if it is still available. It was the same situation, the buyer had a 440 for his car but it was not a 69 and he wanted a 69 with a V.I.N. in a close range to his car.

I thought certainly someone here would see the value in this.

-
Back