orangedust

Reaction score
Have most of us out there getting really tired of hearing,
Bloomington Gold certification crying and whining about using the
term "SURVIVOR". They claim to have a patent write to only use
the word to describe a vintage Corvette. What kind of crap is
that?? I was at a lovely show by the ocean in downtown San Diego,
this past summer, with one of my other cars. I have a friend that
does poster art, so I have him print up posters describing the vehicle.
The poster I had made has the word survivor twice. Now the car
was my 77 Trans Am, it has only 51,000 miles. I would call it a Survivor,
most of those cars were beaten to death and then made into stock
cars. I like my T/A , it still has the original paint and is very straight.
This guy, tells me I have to take my poster down because of
it had the word in it. Then he starts to take it down!!
I was so shocked, it took me a minute to figure out what the
heck just happened?? I kept my cool, and asked the guy to leave
and keep walking by, he didn't , and I kind of "psychoed out" on the
guy until Harbor Police had to step in. I did not touch the guy, but
I said some brutal things that I would do to him. Now, I still keep
reading about this malarky. Any body else have some snooty person say
something as absurd as that???

TOTALY ABSURD!
That guy had no right to take down your posters. He can complain all he wants, but not take them DOWN! Its very hard to keep calm and cool with snooty people like that.

it is unreal that they can trademark words in our vocabulary. this is lame. hey i wonder if i can trademark the word " the "

I've seen the term used numerous times in Mopar Action, so he'd have to sue them as well. And if he specifically said 'patent' IIRC, that needs to be something technical where the applicant has submitted documentation showing how it is different from 'prior art' of the technology. How about the TV show?

If it's Trademark or Service Mark, those are different, but I seem to remember a case not too long ago (maybe the 'Let's Roll' from Sept 11?) where someone tried to trademark a word or phrase and the judge turned the application down. It should be pretty easy to document that other folks were using the term in reference to unrestored but still pristine examples long before him.

Ask politely for a copy of the documentation for his supposed 'right' to be the only one to use a word from the dictionary and tell him once you've had it reviewed by your attorney, you'll get back to him...

Jay

Have most of us out there getting really tired of hearing,
Bloomington Gold certification crying and whining about using the
term "SURVIVOR". They claim to have a patent write to only use
the word to describe a vintage Corvette.

We always called them a "Plastic Roach". Wonder if they got a patent on that? I worked with a guy that had a couple of them. He always acted kinda snotty. Maybe he was just being defensive because he couldn't afford a better car. LMAO. I think the 63 - 67 are pretty cool. I just don't like wearing bow ties.

There's at least one blerb a month in some of the Mopar
magazines. This word thing is ***-nine. My brother and I
even have a '79 Corvette in the corral. Had it for years
from an inheritance, its bone stock I take it out once in a
while, it is a head turner.
Now, I'm reading they are asking car clubs, to not let
Corvettes in their shows. We went to a few cruises , with
my Duster and vette together, and now they are going to break
Vette enthusiasts away from the pack because of an adjective !
Any make of car can be a survivor, I don't care if its a YUGO !
A survivor YUGO, I'll find one, and go to a BG show and
use the adjective extensively ! Cars are cars, people are
people. I wonder how many 'Vette owners actually give a care
about this federal case with a word

"SURVIVOR", isn't that a TV show?

From the US Patent and Trademark Office
- A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
- A service mark is the same as a trademark, except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. Throughout this booklet, the terms "trademark" and "mark" refer to both trademarks and service marks.
- A copyright protects an original artistic or literary work.
- A patent protects an invention.

Believe it or not, Bloomington Gold DOES have a 'mark' on file for the use of the term SURVIVOR. Read it and weep. SURVIVORtm

I remember when this first started coming up in all the magazines then pretty much disappeared shortly after which I assume someone pushed back on Bloomington Gold for trying to over step their authority for the use of the trademark.

Bloomington's trade mark was issued as a goods and services mark. Straight from the US government trademark web page; "G & S: AUTHENTICATING CERTAIN COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILES."

Since Bloomington Gold is only involved with Corvettes the "CERTAIN" pretty much limits it to corvettes. So if you had a Corvette and was stating it was a certified or authenticated Survivor and you didn't have a certificate from Bloomington then you are clearly violating the trademark. It would be a grey area if you had something other than a Corvette and would likely depend on who had the deepest pockets to determine who wins.

However if you are using the term as an adjective to describe your car then Bloomington has no authority.

I wonder what it would cost for the right's er patent er whatever it takes to own the word "God". I could make a fortune. Tax free at that most likely. HMM gonna have to check into that.

64dartwagon said:
I wonder what it would cost for the right's er patent er whatever it takes to own the word "God". I could make a fortune. Tax free at that most likely. HMM gonna have to check into that.

Dunno man, you're going to have a lot of lawyers after you when folks get turned down for insurance due to 'Acts of God'!

:angel4:

Jay

-
Back