Swallow Cliff... sledding...

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
I live next to a forest preserve on the southwest suburbs of Chicago. There is a hill there called Swallow Cliff where there used to be 6 toboggan slides built on the side of the hill back in the 1920's. There are 125 (we've counted them) flagstone steps to get to the top of the hill. Each toboggan "chute" had wood floors and cement walls with a metal gate at the top that was controlled by someone in the "control tower" (at the top of the hill) after everyone was loaded and ready in their toboggans. It was run by the forest preserve district and if you owned your own toboggan, it didn't cost anything to go sledding....

Then back in 2004 the slides were getting rough from weather and they tore them out. They planted trees on the upper half of the hill, and then fenced off the rest at the bottom and use it as a sledding hill now. It is not as fun as the old "chutes" used to be, but it is still one of the best hills around here. Unfortunately it is closed this year.

Here is some history on Swallow Cliff that I found on the internet:

Best known for its 100-foot bluff and demanding stair workout, Swallow Cliff also astounds with natural riches.

Swallow Cliff Woods is best known for its dramatic “front lawn,” which leads up a steep, 100-foot-tall bluff. The bluff creates one of the best sledding hills in the county and also one of its toughest and most scenic stair workouts. On top of the bluff, trails pass through this quiet 800-acre preserve. Hikers enjoy wandering the hilly, forested terrain complete with stream crossings, grand old oaks and flocks of migratory birds around the numerous wetlands.

Enjoying Swallow Cliff
Constructed in 1930 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, 125 limestone stairs lead to the top of a former toboggan run at Swallow Cliff North. Although the runs were closed in 2004, the stairs remain a popular exercise destination for fitness buffs and casual walkers. (Some stair climbers build pebble piles at the top of the stairs to keep track of their trips up and down.)

Region 7_Swallow Cliff Stairs
During the winter, the bluff still serves as an active sledding hill. Visitors provide their own sleds. (Learn more about sledding in the forest preserves.) The stairs are cleared and salted.

Hikers and trail runners can access the brown and yellow trails via a short connector trail from the top of the stairway. The full yellow loop is roughly eight miles, extending west to Cap Sauers Holding Nature Preserve and east to Palos Park Preserve. Hikers can cut the loop in half by using the white connector trail to cut back to Swallow Cliff North. These trails are part of the Sag Valley unpaved trail system, which is open to hiking, biking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing.

Swallow Cliff Woods South has small and large open-air shelters with picnic tables for family gatherings and special events. Groups of 25 or more must purchase a permit; otherwise, they are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Trail users can access the yellow trail at the Swallow Cliff South entrance as well. For a 4.75-mile loop, head west on the yellow trail.

Nature at Swallow Cliff
Swallow Cliff is a 100-foot-high bluff formed 12,000 years ago when glacial meltwater carved out the Sag Valley, leaving behind steep walls and a varied landscape of morainal hills and pothole lakes. As it did across the region, fire shaped the natural communities here. More frequent fires in some areas maintained prairie openings, while woodlands developed in more protected areas. Wet marshes and sedge meadows are scattered throughout the landscape.

There are a variety of migrating and breeding songbirds active in the preserve, including woodpeckers, great crested flycatchers and summer tanagers. Other birds seen in the area include red-eyed vireos and eastern wood-pewees.

http://fpdcc.com/swallow-cliff/

Swallow Cliff Woods upgrades generate excitement

Memories and excitement were stirred as planned improvements to Swallow Cliff Woods in Palos Park were shared at a recent open house.

"I think the new changes are tremendous, and I am very happy to see that Swallow Cliff is going to be improved," said Jane Ryan of Oak Forest. "I used to come here to train for a backpacking trip in Colorado when I was 50 years old, and I can remember how popular it was when I was training."

Cook County Forest Preserve District has partnered with Chicago-based Ross Barney Architects to design a new 3,000-square-foot warming shelter, concessions area, conference room and indoor bathrooms. Construction of the $1 million building is expected to begin next spring.

The district also has proposed a new stainless steel slide, additional fitness stations, an observation tower and natural stone stairs.

Swallow Cliff was built in the early 1920s as a difficult ski jump that attracted elite skiers from around the country. In its heyday, the Swallow Cliff Winter Sports Recreational Facility attracted more than 35,000 people to an event in 1929.

"Actually, in the early 1900s, Swallow Cliff was used as an Olympic ski hill," said Cook County Commissioner Elizabeth Gorman, 17th District. "We are always looking for community feedback. In fact, the community feedback in the '20s was to make the stairs uneven as part of the workout."

Those stairs will remain open during construction of the new warming shelter, officials said.

So far, only the warning shelter is funded. Long-term, groups such as the Chicago Southland Convention and Visitors Bureau plan to utilize the new building, which would provide revenue for the district.

"We want to market not just the area but market the experience, and we feel that holding a business meeting in the new warming shelter with an outstanding view would really appeal to our clients," said Scott Bort of the tourism bureau. "I can see this shelter producing revenue for the district and really adding value to the area."

Representatives from the Calumet-Sag Trail shared their interest in someday connecting the 500-mile trail to the already 800-acres of trails, woods and paths surrounding Swallow Cliff.

"If they were able to connect the trail, people wouldn't have to cross the street, and I think that would be a lot safer, especially for the high school sports teams that use the stairs," Ryan said. "I think the changes that are being made are just outstanding, and it's great to see that there is enough funding to improve upon places like Swallow Cliff."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20131114_1_stairs-shelter-swallow-cliff-woods

Here is a picture from the old days that is looking down the chutes from the top of the stairs. It is copyrighted, so I can only post a link to the picture:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...=X&ei=R17lUpvLHun72QW9xYC4Dg&ved=0CJkBEKIqMAs

Here are some pictures of the sledding hill from last winter:

Here are some of the whole hill from the bottom. Notice the "control tower" at the top where they used to control the gates for each "chute". Also notice that the waiting line is as long as the hill is (not usually, but they have their busy times)....

View attachment Swallow Cliff A01 B.jpg

View attachment Swallow Cliff A02 B.jpg

View attachment Swallow Cliff A03 B.jpg

View attachment Swallow Cliff A04 B.jpg

View attachment Swallow Cliff A05 B.jpg

View attachment Swallow Cliff A06 B.jpg

looks like fun! those discs are the fast way down the hill, also hard to control. lol

looks like fun! those discs are the fast way down the hill, also hard to control. lol

Most sleds are hard to control. You have to expect that sooner or later the kids can't steer these things and bump into each other. Sometimes walk away with a few bruises... especially when they get "brave" and try new stunts...

You have to expect that as a parent, or don't bring them....

I found some old pictures on the net of the old slides. Here they are...

Far away from the parking lot looking up.

View attachment swallow.jpg

Shots from the bottom looking up (closer).

View attachment Swallow 01.jpg

View attachment Swallow 02.jpg

View attachment Swallow 03.jpg

View attachment Swallow 04.jpg

Looking up from one of the chutes.

View attachment Swallow 08.jpg

From the top looking down.

View attachment Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides2.jpg

View attachment Swallow 09.jpg

View attachment Swallow 06.jpg

Here's the control tower at the top (from behind).

View attachment Image6.jpg

That was prob a blast. Have you ever been to Shelbyville? Growing up in Pana, we'd go to the Shelbyville Dam every winter. Frickin fun and crazy. Last time I was there 12yrs ago or so, a friend and I cleared the bottom road on a 36" tube!! lol

That was prob a blast. Have you ever been to Shelbyville? Growing up in Pana, we'd go to the Shelbyville Dam every winter. Frickin fun and crazy. Last time I was there 12yrs ago or so, a friend and I cleared the bottom road on a 36" tube!! lol

No, haven't been to Pana.

I just hate to see the old toboggan slides gone. They were great! If you see from the one picture looking down, that was pretty steep. They were a tradition around here since the '20's. Part of why they were not redone is there were 5 lawsuits since '94 from people getting injured. It's a shame that so many people are sue happy nowadays that now we can't have things for everyone to enjoy.

They weren't that dangerous. The person in the control tower at the top would not let the gate down until the other people ahead of you were off the track out of the way, and all of your riders were properly loaded with your legs wrapped around the guy in front of you and no hands or legs hanging off. Then there was a bridge at the bottom above all of the lanes that you went up on to get off the tracks and back to the parking lot.

It would also be cooler if they would let them sled down the whole hill instead of just the bottom half... It's great exercise for the kids, and they don't even realize that they are exercising as they are having too much fun sliding down the hill.

During the summer, there is a crowd there just climbing the steps. They are flagstone and different heights (on purpose) which gives a great workout. The die hards claim that it is harder than a stair master. Go up one floor in your house and count how many steps it takes to get to the second floor in your house. Now divide 125 by that number of steps, and that is how many stories high the stairs are. 125 stairs to the top... Pant, pant, pant....

Here's a picture showing the bridge at the bottom of the slides so you could exit the track so the next person can go.

View attachment Swallow Cliff Toboggan slides_2.jpg

Ah memories. I was like 6 my first time there on my first run with my dad, brother, and crazy uncle that lived in Orland Park, maybe '64. I think I was having to take two steps for every step. Everything was going fine on the run. Just after the bridge somehow we went up on the side and I fell off sliding down the ice. So there I was, crying with a skinned and bleeding nose, a sore knee, and missing a boot. My uncle just laughing. Well they found my boot took me and to the first aid area I guess. There they cleaned me up and gave me a hot chocolate. Life was good again. No lawyer necessary!

My brother in law once tried to ride the toboggan down the stairs of the bridge to the parking lot and almost hit a car... Was able to jump off and roll just before hitting the car... And the person was sitting in it watching the whole time ---> Oh crap!

wow, this brought back memories =P~ I lived just outside of Mendota Ill back in about 74 and there was a big hill my friends and I would go to (a local drove me there and I met a babe there) =P~=P~ It was a big deal, bon fire going and enjoying drinks with well over 50 people there, I never went down the hill, I stayed close to my new found babe :color: thank you for the memory I plum forgot about :glasses7: that is very cool indeed :-D

I think we can blame the loss of these sled runs on lawyers and stupid lawsuits. If little Tommy breaks a arm sled riding, his parents now want to sue for 3.5 Million clams. Somebody has to ruin everything.

I think we can blame the loss of these sled runs on lawyers and stupid lawsuits. If little Tommy breaks a arm sled riding, his parents now want to sue for 3.5 Million clams. Somebody has to ruin everything.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Usually it's just a good bump or a bruise, maybe a sprain. Once in a rare while maybe a broken bone, but some of them are caused by trying more dangerous stunts. Like bringing a shovel and building a "ramp" or "jump". That's when the risk jumps up also.

Too many parents want to sue, instead of face the fact that their kid took a chance and got hurt. They won't take responsibility and say, "My kid brought it on himself."

That's what I'm sayin'.

Usually it's just a good bump or a bruise, maybe a sprain. Once in a rare while maybe a broken bone, but some of them are caused by trying more dangerous stunts. Like bringing a shovel and building a "ramp" or "jump". That's when the risk jumps up also.

Too many parents want to sue, instead of face the fact that their kid took a chance and got hurt. They won't take responsibility and say, "My kid brought it on himself."

Yeah, when I was growing up there was a really steep hill on a neighbors farm. We used to build a ramp about half way down it and ice the ramp down. We would then take a flat plastic sled and start at the top. When you hit the ramp, no joke you went at least eight feet in the air. The trick was to raise up to a squatting position while in the air, to break your fall. Once I didn't do that, and could hardly walk for a week. It felt like my tail bone was up between my ears.

It was not the famers fault. I built the ramp, and I forget to raise up. He was nice enough to let us use such a great hill.

Boy, with all the snow that we've gotten, it would be nice to sled there. Why do they have to pick the best snow year so far to close it????

those are some cool pix!....looks like fun.

I remember as kid going there in the 70s,it was about 40 min.ride from country club hills il.i have lived 10 mins away from it for about 20 years and haven't stoped there yet. just can't stand the cold any more

That's too cool! It's a shame that it's not still going. You're right about sue happy people ruining things for others. Near me is an old ski slope. They put up a fence about half way up. Even with the fence its still a big hill to go down.

oh by the way if cold weather keeps up I might be able to walk across the cal sag to your house

You're right about that. I went shopping earlier. Was in the store for about half hour. By the time I came out my car was completely cool. The gauge read under the C line... It had to warm up all over again to get heat on the way home....

That's too cool! It's a shame that it's not still going. You're right about sue happy people ruining things for others. Near me is an old ski slope. They put up a fence about half way up. Even with the fence its still a big hill to go down.

Yes, that's exactly what they did here. Close down the slides, block off half the hill, and allow sledding on the bottom half. Now they even have the bottom half blocked off with snow fence criss-crossing and you can't even go down the bottom part.

We've had the best winter for snow here for at least 5 years! :wack:

It was fun for the kids, and it wore them out (they didn't realize it), and then they would drop like rocks at bedtime (or before).... :goodman:

-
Back