Swap 904 to 727?

-
The 904 I have is behind the 225 /6 setting in the 66 Dart.
When I go up to Oklahoma to get the 8 1/4 rear end, I am also going to look at some 64 though 66 darts. Some of them suppose to be V 8 s. Maybe they will be cheap enough to get a parts car.

I'd aim for 68-up on the 904. The 67 and earlier used a different converter snout.

I'd aim for 68-up on the 904. The 67 and earlier used a different converter snout.

You are correct Chuck, It has to be from a 68 and up car, the early 904 has a different spline count on the input shaft for the torque converter, and the torque converter that will fit a 67 and earlier 904 has the small snout! Unless you want to spend large dollars to have a custom torque converter built!!!

For what it's worth, we squeezed a 727 under Jake's 65 behind the stroked 360, flattening the firewall/floor seam was not enough. We ended up mini-tubbing, for lack of a better description, the trans tunnel from that seam to the front of the shifter mount bracket. We had to hammer a couple places to clear the rear most trans line and shift/kickdown levers, as well.

Another cost to consider - if you are shortening your drive shaft to fit the 727, put the bigger rear in now and save yourself the shortening of the drive shaft a second time at a later date.

Thought of that all ready. Would be better to do it all at same time. Beings its just a 318, hopefully there want be that much work on tunnel. Hope the seam is all I'll have to deal with.

I'm going to go with what I have. (318-727) And get 8 1/4. I am not going to be dragging anyone anyway. Just a cruiser. Don't see any sense in buying a V8 904 unless this 727's no good and probably can get it freshened up for about the same price as buying one used. They always say "Working fine when remove" and you never know.

Forgot to mention, albeit a minor thing, we had to bend the dipstick tube. But that may be because he's running 5.9 Durango manifolds.... that part escapes me.

Last edited:
-
Back