Swap Federal for Saginaw?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
I noticed last night that I've got a small leak coming from my power steering pump. It's been there for a while I'm sure, hidden by the flood of a leak that the steering box had until recently and the 40 years years of dirt & fluid build up in the bay. Now that I've swapped the steering box & cleaned the engine bay, I'm constantly popping my head in there & last night the few drops of fluid caught my eye quick.

So I have a couple of options, Re-seal the Federal pump in there now. Exchange the Federal as a core for a refurb & bolt it in. Or, (what I'd like to do.) use this opportunity to swap in a Saginaw pump & shim it up for a firmer feel.

So, a couple of questions:
Are there any drawbacks to swapping to a Saginaw pump?

Is there anything in the proposed swap I may not be considering?

Is it just a matter of unbolt/bolt in?

Two Saginaw pumps are avail (roundish reservoir & the "ham can") is there any real difference between them?

Thx.

Could be just your cap leaking, someone should repop these.
Other locations could be solved with a rebuild kit.
Remember these systems were designed with different pump pressures etc.
I had a bad leak in mine and the large resevoir O ring solved the problem, after I filed the big burr where someone clamped it in a vice.
My cap will weep alittle and the fan blows it back:protest:

Has anyone made this swap & possibly the Shim Mod? I'd like to get some real world feedback if possible. If your not familiar with the mod I'm referencing here's the link to where I found out about it.

[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

-
Back