Swap or rebuild?

-
"this is only a good plan if its a running engine with no issues.."

I agree with you 100% in terms of the 5.9s advantages and this sentence. But there is a lot to be said for a known quantity when you have a tight budget. I'm concerned the 5.9 swap might break the budget if there's so much as a sneeze wrong with it.

"this is only a good plan if its a running engine with no issues.."

I agree with you 100% in terms of the 5.9s advantages and this sentence. But there is a lot to be said for a known quantity when you have a tight budget. I'm concerned the 5.9 swap might break the budget if there's so much as a sneeze wrong with it.
That's what I'm saying as well. The Magnums are great but, finding one that is 100% can be difficult.

5.9 are the best bang for the buck the 300hp create engine is a stock 5.9 dressed like LA with a 4bbl intake and dynoed 320hp with headers, why does everyone think you have to do everything at once, do up grades as you can afford them, $1000 ain't gonna go far a good exhaust will eat most of that but start there, then maybe intake and carb but get one that bolts on to magnum and LA engines, do ignition, gears etc.. then when your ready do the 5.9 swap and you haven't wasted anything except gaskets.

I should have been more specific, I was wanting to keep the engine cost down and I am not sure if I find a 5.9 that I can see run or use a scope to inspect the pistons would be better than investing into the 318 that runs good but doesn't have enough power. I bought it with a new Edelbrock carb with a performer intake, it also has Hedmans and 2 1/2" exhaust already. I have curved the distributor and tuned the engine, just doesn't have the guts to spin much with a 2.76 rear. I already have brakes and rearend, etc in the works.

i would call justin aka 1wild andcrazy guy, get the 302 heads from him. get a nice cam and lifters and springs. and dial it in.it will run good.....

Cam and gears would make a huge difference on that engine

Well, we are working on a 8 3/4 with a set of 3.23 gears so that should help then. Maybe I should find some 302s or put some work into my heads and a cam. See if that performs well enough, that could work for now.

Well, we are working on a 8 3/4 with a set of 3.23 gears so that should help then. Maybe I should find some 302s or put some work into my heads and a cam. See if that performs well enough, that could work for now.
give Justin a call or something as bad440 suggested. He knows bout heads really well. He has a flowbench to boot

Don't forget about the LA 360 from about 1989 - 1991... These are still LA engines (not Magnums) so all your external accessories are a direct bolt on. Plus the heads are the same style, not the crack prone Magnums. They also utilize roller lifters! Cool? Absolutely. You will have to find an intake, as these are TBI engines, but literally everything on your 318 will bolt on if you want to use them, including intake and exhaust manifolds. You will also need a 360 car pan.

I went with a Weiand intake, 340HP manifolds, Milodon pan, and planning on getting a carb from rustyratrod. Oh yeah, the 360 is externally balanced, so you need to address that. Different torque converter will do it.

:burnout:

I misunderstood - I saw the 4bbl stuff - didn;t realize you had the rest. I would then re-advise:
Buy the Summit small cam and lifter package, and buy a rear axle (if not an 8 3/4) with gears of 3.55 or 3.91. The gears will make the most difference in seat-of-the-pants.

I really appreciate all the advice. We do have 3.23 gears that are going in now, maybe find some 3.55 later. I think maybe we will pull the heads, see what it looks like, maybe try poting them a little or put on some 302s and a better cam and see how we like it before trying for more. If I get 302s will they bring up the compression too?

I really appreciate all the advice. We do have 3.23 gears that are going in now, maybe find some 3.55 later. I think maybe we will pull the heads, see what it looks like, maybe try poting them a little or put on some 302s and a better cam and see how we like it before trying for more. If I get 302s will they bring up the compression too?
Yes. and a may I recommend the summit 6901 cam. I have it in my truck and it has a nice lope to it but screams when your foots in the pedal. be sure to get matching springs and run some Comp Cam break-in additive. and 3.23 gears are kinda sluggish, I have a set in my truck and they are a good all around gear for daily driving like getting on the highway. If its a local bruiser,I'd toss in a set of 3.91s, otherwise throw in the 3.55 gears so you can still get in some decent top speed around town and have some get up and go

Compression-wise - unless you mill them they will be roughly the same compression ratio as what you have. I think the open chamber 318 heads are around 62-65ccs, the 302s should be around 63. 1Wild would know better and has some he wants to sell - see the other post in this thread.

302 heads untouched may give you half a point of CR increase about the same as milling your heads 20 thousands, 1 point of CR is worth about 4% hp so on a 300hp engine thats 12hp, unless your try to use a bigger cam than 262 and or going fully ported theres better places to spend your money. But unported 318 heads will limit your power potential in street trim to about 325hp.

For a grand you would be much happier to mod what you've got over doing a magnum swap. Normally I'm on the magnum band wagon but I honestly think you'd be better off just doing a simple cam swap (valvesprings also) in your 318, Comp xe268 or similar, and calling it good as far as engine mods. You already have a good intake and longtubes so this would be a natural upgrade. Then take the rest of the money and focus it on the drivetrain. Install a shift kit (Transgo TF-2), get a decent converter in the 3000-3200 range, and install a good aftermarket trans cooler. After that all you'd need is some gear (3.55's would do fine, 3.91 is a bit much on the street imo) and you'd be good to go. If you were to compare this solution to a magnum swap with a stock converter and 2.xx gear, the solution I propose would be quicker and more fun to drive. Plus you'd be more likely to stay on budget.

So would it be worth it for me to do anything with the heads or just use them as is with new springs? Maybe thinner gaskets?

From what I Understand the factory gasket is pretty thin so no gain there, unless your gonna port and mill the **** out of them stick to a cam that will work with stock compression.

Unless you're talking about the .028" ones from MP, I'm pretty sure the factory gaskets were .038-.040"...

In any case, the thinner the gasket, the more important it becomes for the heads and deck surfaces to be square, flat, and free of warpage. I tried to use the .028" gaskets in mine, and they leaked coolant...used a set of standard Fel-Pro blues and no problems...they're about 0.038" compressed.

I'd leave the heads on unless you plan on working them. You wouldn't "feel" any gain with the thin gaskets anyway, but you could set yourself up for possible leaks and the headache of having to pull it all apart again.

-
Back