Swaping a 340 in to a 79 Magnum

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Help, just took a second look at my motor mounts from my 318 motor and the 340 mounts. One side is a perfect match--right, passenger side I think. However looking closely at the other side the 318 and 340 mounts shows they are different. Which mounts should I use--the 340 mounts cause its the 340 motor going in or the 318 mounts cause the car is 9 years newer?

Use 360 mounts, the ears on the 340 and 360 are the same. If you go to your local parts store, aks for the 360 mounts, since the 340 will throw them off.

Use 360 mounts, the ears on the 340 and 360 are the same. If you go to your local parts store, aks for the 360 mounts, since the 340 will throw them off.

You won't get the part at the local parts place. You need 360 mounts or to modify the 318 mount to fit the 340 block.
73 up 360 spool type mount should work from most cars.

The '73 340 spool mount is the same as the '73 up 360 spool mount. So if your 340 is off of a '73 model year car you are good to go with the 340 mount.

Spool type mounts can be purchased from parts houses.

This shows a '73 Duster 340 engine mounts
Seems the links didn't work

This shows a '79 Magnum 360 engine mounts.

The mounts have the same parts numbers

Chuck

The '73 340 spool mount is the same as the '73 up 360 spool mount. So if your 340 is off of a '73 model year car you are good to go with the 340 mount.

Spool type mounts can be purchased from parts houses.

Chuck

I was assuming it was only the insert and not the bracket to the block. I have never had to purchase the later mounts. I am corrected.

I just learned on here the other day that the complete mount can be purchased for the newer cars so you are not alone.

Chuck

Its the spool type but motor was cast in May 1972. Not sure if its a 72 or a 73 motor.

I brought the inserts but gee they don't seem to hammer out. Going to try to press them out--well a shop I know of I thought I ask them. I did bend the taps up but they are really tight--one of the four was even welded in. Lucky I had two of those so the welded one I am throwing away.

I went with a rubber inserts since I like soft stuff, lol.

Got the inserts out. Needed a heavier hammer, lol..

Got them clean and painted, tomomrow I put the new inserts in. Seem to fit just right, should hammer in easy and I bend the metal over to lock them in.

Now if my short block is ever ready.....keep checking my phone to see if the shop doing the lifter bushing called--did say late next week likely.

Ya gotta lay me on a post w/pictures about this Magnum. I have one.
I thnk....I'm about to sell it. I don't want to, but cutting bait is sometimes the best option.

A guy approached me last night saying he wanted it. He remembered the car from when I gave him a pasteing in a street race a year ago. I told him, give me a few days to think about it. I'm thinking about it seriously. (Unfortuneltly- hummm SP!)

Do you need parts? Doors, front fenders, header panel etc....... PM me.

-
Back