swaping steering

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
well my cuda was converted to a floor auto shift using a b&m shifter, the orginal steering colum is still in place where it was an auto on the tree, i found a colum i think it is from a 67 dart but am unsure, and i couldnt find a number on it or anything, it is just a floor shift colum. i wanted to know if i could swap this unit out and put it in my cuda? how do i know if it will swap, and dont i need a adaptor for no ps to ps cause i have ps, i dont know if it was in a manual or ps car.

steering.JPG

end.JPG

awh come on nobody knows, it looks the same im not sure about the pin that goes threw the end on the colum , how hard is it to remove the colum from the ps box? anybody know where i can find a guide to help me along

best bet is to pull the colomn out of the car and compare them... if it your cuda is a 67 and the dart that came out od is a 67 your good to go.. are you going with power or manual steering?? it will be obvious when they are side by side if one is manual and the other is ps.... if you have a ps column and manual steering yes you will naad an adaptor.... the main shaft in the columns do interchange . it really isn't that hard to do..

If memory serves me correctly, here's what you'll run into trying to do this swap:
1. I believe that's a PS column and will be shorter (?) than your current one;
2. If you measure around both pieces, the 67 unit is quite a bit bigger around than the 66 and the bracket that bolts it to the bottom of the dash won't fit;
3. Have a GOOD look at the bracket that attaches to the firewall. The 67 piece is shaped differently and is a different size than your 66 piece. The 67 just doesn't line up in any way with the 66 firewall configuration.
Hope this helps.

my cuda is a 69
and i believe the colum is from a 67 dart, but am unsure, so the bolt pattern for the firewall will be different is this a big deal, or will it just not work in this kinda case? it looked like a pain to try and disconnect the colum from the ps box

The column you have pictured is out of a 67 or later. The mesh in the outer housing means that it is a collapsable steering column, which wasn't produced until 1967. Should be a straight swap into your 69. Hope this helps. ;)

If you don't care what under the hood looks like, swap the inside parts.
I have 72 Charger parts on mine on the inside.

Danny

-
Back