Swapping 8 3/4 centers, any info

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am thinking i need to do a center section swap on my cars.

The Bee (clone) has a 741 8 3/4 one legger in it,

the 73 Duster has a 8 3/4 Sure Grip 742 in it. pics below

The 742 i think is a 3:23, (marked tire and driveshaft and the tire went 3 revs and the driveshaft went a little less, or is that a 2:93?

Anyway, wondering if anyone can tell anything else by the markings.

The Duster has a 318 and i doubt it was born with a 8 3/4. especially a sure Grip one, and it has no hope of spinning both 275/60's at once, so i am swapping it into the 440 car and putting the one legger in the Duster.

The pinions are the same so it should be a direct swap, also changing pinion seals, axle seals, gaskets, etc.

Duster

db2.jpg

Duster 2

db1.jpg

Duster 3

db3.jpg

Bee

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

The 742 i think is a 3:23, (marked tire and driveshaft and the tire went 3 revs and the driveshaft went a little less, or is that a 2:93?

Mark the tire, put a corresponding mark on the floor. Turn the tire one complete revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins.

Example: one revolution of tire and just shy of three revolutions on the drive shaft would indicate a 2:76 or 2:94 or what ever you have. If it's a factory gear I would guess 2.76.

You can also tell by pulling the center section and looking on the ring gear, the gear ratio should be stamped there.

As far as swapping them out it should be a direct swap as long as the axles are splined the same.

You can do a direct swap with the centers,but might have to change the length of your driveshaft and diff. u-joints.JMO

You can do a direct swap with the centers,but might have to change the length of your driveshaft and diff. u-joints.JMO

should be ok, both are about 10.25 inches from the base of the pumpkin to the u joint cup

These guys have it covered. Sounds like a good swap.

For my .02 I really like these gaskets:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAT-5101R

No silicone required. No worried about messing it up while you fight the hoghead on the studs. No leaks.

I have found them to actually be reusable as long as they are not overtorqued. I had a problem with one, but it turned out my torque wrench needed calibrated. Since then, no issues.

All factory 8 3/4 pumpkins will swap with each other no problems unless the yoke was changed at some point.

-
Back