Swapping diffs on a 7 1/4

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Anybody know where there is some good literature on this? Only ever swapped 8 3/4 rear but am putting a suregrip in my 7 1/4 and want to make sure it's done well and right.

Check the backlash and gear patter before you start, I would try to keep the adjusters at the same number of threads and set the backlash the same to start. I have played with these little rears some. Not hard to change the parts but the trick is keeping them quiet. Ring and pinion need to end up close to original relationship or you will have gear noise. Factory service manual would be good to have .

I think I remember Charrlie S running 7.25 rear ends in his race cars. He might be a source. I'm putting an 8.75 behind a /6 'cause I couldn't find an 8.25 locally in my time frame. That car is probably gonna get a 360 anyway, so it'll be ready.

ATB

BC

Once again I am aware of the abilities a 7 1/4 has I'm not looking for opinions simply tips from people who have dealt with these diffs more so then I have. Charrlie S is a member on this forum?

Yes he is :cheers: :coffee2: Charrlie S has helped allot of folks here, I have been busy with things in town yesterday...... Let me see what I can find today salinasjoel.

Hey thanks memike and charrlie no rush at all just got the brake lines buttoned up and gas tank reinstalled and ready for the cars first voyage in 20 years. Now if I could just get this cold weather to take a hike it would happen a lot faster!

Since you are just replacing the carrier all you have to do is check your backlash with a dial indicator, remove the carrier, clean and debur the ring gear and sure grip carrier, install the ring gear on the sure grip carrier, install sure grip and ring gear, set preload and backlash, seal it up, add gear lube and sure grip additive.

-
Back