swapping early 3.09 1st into later case

-
mbaird;
Just retard the timing; much much cheaper. Dash-mounted dial-back. Plus/minus 7.5*,Shazzam!
One of the best investments I ever made.
Parade with a 10.97 starter gear@ 4 mph, or perhaps a little less.

mbaird;
Just retard the timing; much much cheaper. Dash-mounted dial-back. Plus/minus 7.5*,Shazzam!
One of the best investments I ever made.
Parade with a 10.97 starter gear@ 4 mph, or perhaps a little less.

I just use a 14.09 first gear. Idle in first gear is about walking speed.

I just use a 14.09 first gear. Idle in first gear is about walking speed.
I did that once;3.09x4.88=15.08. 550rpm in gear idle was 2.9mph. And it tended to get real jumpy down there.Cuz you know, what little torque it was making at 550 was multiplied by the starter gear,lol.

Then I got the DB device, retarded the timing to 5*, and with 3.55s, 500rpm is now 3.7mph, with almost no jumpiness.(Torque multiplication is now reduced to 73%). The fire doesn't get going until the piston is well on it's way down the cylinder, so pressure is much reduced, and the jumpiness is g-o-n-e, or rather it has moved to below 3.7 mph. I can still find it just before it stalls,lol. The engine has,at 500rpm, just enough power to pull itself on flat hard ground. Just.But when it does get jumpy, it is no where near as violent, as with 15 or 20 degrees of lead.
Three cheers for the DB device.

Last edited:
AJ... Now you tell me!
I just gave away a brand new Jacobs dial back device.... Lol

AJ... Now you tell me!
I just gave away a brand new Jacobs dial back device.... Lol
Oh say it isn't so!
That's probably my favorite tool..
It has so many uses. Together with a knock sensor,you can use it to determine a power curve in maybe a half an hour. Then, after you get that squared away, and with T-Port synced, you can begin the Vcan tune. Then for the rest of the summer you can use it to determine the maximum cruise timing she wants, and try to figure out how to get it. Finally, you can use it to tame the pressure pulses at idle so you can parade it.
Then, since by now you know what you are doing and are getting pretty good at it, you can charge money to fix all your buddys' machines.
Then,see; now you are really getting it, so one day you get to thinking:"do I really need to run 91 gas and pay the huge premium on it?"
Well, plug in that DB,and the KS,put in the fast-burn 87gas, and have at it. Maybe, just maybe you find out that; with a little tweak here and a little tweak there, before the day is done, you have her safely sipping that skunk-pee everybody is so afraid of.
Oh well.............................

Last edited:
-
Back