swapping my 318 for a 360 magnum

-

cuda67

Reaction score
I have alot of questions but I will start out with this one. Can I use the power steering pump from my 318 on the 360? I can tell just by looking that the brackets won't work, there is no where for the bracket on the 360 water pump. What is the way to go with this? What pullies will I need? etc.

Thanks

All front accessories are interchangeable on the LA series. I just finished a /6 to 360 conversion, used a magnum block, and 318 front cover, and accessories from a Ramcharger. Comb the junkyards till you find your part. Taking Pictures of the plumbing also helps.

you just need to swap the timing chain cover, water pump, and all the brackets, pulleys, and things from your LA318 on to the magnum 5.9 (360) motor,

you will also need a flex plate or torque converter balanced for the 5.9 magnum as it is an externally balanced motor and your 318 is internally balanced,

also note the 5.9 magnum is not the same balance as an LA360, although they are both the same 360 Cubic inch displacement

This site is great. The LA318 timing cover will fit the 360 magnum, that is good news. I found the B&M Flex plate I need through Summit. Now I need to get a radiator and headers.

Which starter should I get?

The 360 magnum is a mopar performance crate engine that I bought as part of a divorce. It has never been installed. It came with a street avenger 770. Also super comp headers I can't use but they are sold already. Thanks for the information I'll be asking questions as things arise.

Yes this is a GREAT site for info, guidance & finding parts! I am just waiting for my 360 magnum engine to be built/ 273 is out and sold.I am using all the pulleys etc from the 273 for the swap. TTI headers, pulling the rear end out tomorrow. Putting in a 8 3/4. I have gotten much valuable info from all the people here on Abodies!! Hey we are not that far away!! Good Luck!

Yes this is a GREAT site for info, guidance & finding parts! I am just waiting for my 360 magnum engine to be built/ 273 is out and sold.I am using all the pulleys etc from the 273 for the swap. TTI headers, pulling the rear end out tomorrow. Putting in a 8 3/4. I have gotten much valuable info from all the people here on Abodies!! Hey we are not that far away!! Good Luck!

Sounds cool. I have been thinking of this project for quite awhile. I was going to build a 408 stroker but the more I checked around for a good machine shop the less interested I became. The good machine shops all seem to be too busy with high dollar jobs and keep putting you off till they feel like talking to you. Then their prices are out of site. I had a couple of quotes ranging from 8-12k, too rich for my blood.

I got lucky about two weeks ago and found this engine on craigslist in St. Augustine. Talked to the seller a couple of times and when we reached an agreement on price I drove up and got it. It is a Mopar Performance crate 360 magnum, 380 hp. It has never been installed and is brand new. It is complete carb to oil pan with aluminum pullies, a Holley 4150 Street Avenger 770 cfm. It has the magnum water pump and the magnum timing cover. I sorta hate to take them off as they are all new. Is there any other solution to using my pump other than taking off the 360 timing cover and aluminum water pump?

I know that there is alot of help here and I am happy to listen to suggestions. I will get some pictures up in a few days.

you can use the magnum serpentine belt set up but it will require a bit of adapting, and a fair amount of fabricating to make it work in an early car, but it has been done and looks cool though

DSCN0562.jpg

DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

Looks awesome!

I think your return spring for the carb is in the wrong hole.

That is a GIGANTIC water pump pulley. LOL

Is that a single plane intake?

Looks awesome!

I think your return spring for the carb is in the wrong hole.

That is a GIGANTIC water pump pulley. LOL

Is that a single plane intake?

Yes, it is a single plane, Mopar M1 intake. The pulley does look rather big but that is what the P.O. had on it. I have to change the timing cover and the water pump so I can use the pullies from the LA 318. I need to acquire a few more parts for the new engine then pull the 318 out of the car so I can paint the engine bay. I am also trying to round up some friends to lend a hand with the transplant. Hopefully I can get this done in a month or so. It will all depend on how much assist I can get.

You may have to cut the truck motor mount bosses off your block to clear the headers. I learned the hard way.LOL If you have the headers I would bolt them to the heads before install just to check.

Well as we all know the B&M flexplate #10241 has been discontinued, so what do I have to do to marry the magnum to the 904 internally balanced tranny. I remember reading something on here about that but I can't find it. Please, all help is appreciated.

I used the stock flexplate with hole elongated on my build.

If you use Hooker Comp headers, you will definitely have to grind the snot out of the driver's side truck mount.

There may also be a minor grind required to fit the starter.

-
Back