swapping rearends 7.25 to 8.25

-

lil elephant

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the brake backing plates off a 7.25" rearend are the same as the ones off a 8.25". When switching out these rearends I want to change over the brake system seeing that the complete system is new in the 7.25". :sign3:

Yes they are the same. When we bought my son's 70 duster it had a later model 7.25 rear end with the larger bolt pattern, same deal as you
the 7.25 brakes were brand new. we swap that out for a A-body 8.25 and the brakes transfered over with no problem.

If I recall correctly my old 7 ¼ backing plate had 4 mounting holes and the 8 ¼ backing plate had 5 holes (like my 8 ¾). It was some time ago when I put the bigger Rear end in the Barracuda but I remember there was problem with using the 7 ¼ backing plates. I also got rid of the V shaped parking brake cable that runs down the middle of the car and used one that routed down the side and over the rear end.

Blues65 said:
If I recall correctly my old 7 ¼ backing plate had 4 mounting holes and the 8 ¼ backing plate had 5 holes (like my 8 ¾). It was some time ago when I put the bigger Rear end in the Barracuda but I remember there was problem with using the 7 ¼ backing plates. I also got rid of the V shaped parking brake cable that runs down the middle of the car and used one that routed down the side and over the rear end.

??? Hmmm I'm not sure what our 7 1/4 came out of but it must have been a 73+ A body because it was the correct width and had the larger 4 1/2 bolt circle. I know the 8 1/4 came out of a 73 340 duster since a saw it removed.
both had 4 bolts and the backing plates matched exactly.

It really doesn't matter if one is 4 bolt and the other has the 5th bolt at the bottom. The four are the same pattern so you can just use the 4.

Chuck

I agree the 4 holes are the same pattern but you would have to drill the 7 ¼ backing plates or remove the lower stud from the axel housing.

Blues65 said:
I agree the 4 holes are the same pattern but you would have to drill the 7 ¼ backing plates or remove the lower stud from the axel housing.

You are correct.

Chuck

I would think that it would have to go by years. If you are running the wide shoe then you can rob parts from the 5th avenue's from the 80's cause those 7 1/4's had the same brakes as the 8 1/4's. But the 7 1/4 rear that was originally in my 64 Valiant wouldn't work case the shoes wouldn't fit the 8 1/4 axles. Yes they will bolt on, but all depends what the shoes you have.

Lee

-
Back