Swapping tail shaft housings on a 727

-

Moparmadness408

Reaction score
So I’m trying to find a shorter tail shaft housing and output shaft for my 727 and I bought this as a builder tranny from someone and am not sure what vehicle it came out of. All I know is it’s for a small block, and my builder says it’s an early 70s tranny, and am wondering what was all compatible with it. I’m planning to put this tranny in a 67 valiant and it will make 465 hp.

There is only one length of slip yoke outputs for the 727. The shortie motorhome and truck transmissions have a fixed output flange, no slip yoke and are not conducive to car use.

There is only one length of slip yoke outputs for the 727. The shortie motorhome and truck transmissions have a fixed output flange, no slip yoke and are not conducive to car use.
So I can’t use a 727 transmission in an a body car?

So I’m trying to find a shorter tail shaft housing and output shaft for my 727

Never tried it myself, but what is a shortie kit from A&A Transmission?? I know there's a 904 version, and I thought they had one for 727's too. Maybe inquire there and see what turns up?

Why do you want or need a shorter transmission for your car?

Well with the current tail shaft on it, my builder thinks I will probably only have 18 inches of room for the drive shaft. I do know of a place that builds custom driveshafts, but my builder thinks that’s an issue having that short of a drive shaft.

a body with 727 trans will have a driveshaft around 44 inches plus or minus.....depending on the rear end...and if everything is in the stock location....

your builder needs a new tape measure....

So you moved the engine and trans back into the passenger compartment?

Short driveshaft is not an issue. As long as angles are correct....

-
Back