Swapping to a CME 360

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Heya guys! Got a list of questions I'm looking for some input on.

1. Iv been looking at buying a Carolina machine engines 360 complete block. Hot rod magazine had good things to say about them but does anyone have any first hand experience?

2. Any opinions about installing an air/oil separator?

3. When I do the engine swap I'm also looking to swap to a 8 3/4 moser rearend? Any opinions on moser?

4. Any suggested companies to get a new drive shaft from?

Thanks everyone!

1. Iv been looking at buying a Carolina machine engines 360 complete block. Hot rod magazine had good things to say about them but does anyone have any first hand experience?

Been running one for a few years now with no issues.

3. When I do the engine swap I'm also looking to swap to a 8 3/4 moser rearend? Any opinions on moser?

Give Cass a call, he's great to deal with is well priced. He supplied all the parts for mine, haven't had any issues and the 8 3/4 see plenty of hard work, here's the link.

http://www.doctordiff.com

Moser probably the best out there...but you pay for it..

Saw some horror stories about that Carolina company too..

Glad to hear about moser, was figuring I couldn't go wrong there. I was hoping that since CME sends the complete block broken in and dynoed it'd be proper box, but wasnt sure if they used shoddy parts. Do you recall what you heard?

Glad to hear about moser, was figuring I couldn't go wrong there. I was hoping that since CME sends the complete block broken in and dynoed it'd be proper box, but wasnt sure if they used shoddy parts. Do you recall what you heard?

Don't recall but i'm sure others will chime in..i'm not really a fan of crate motors i like dealing with the builder right here in this state(close by),so if anything goes wrong i'm not shipping it back..Moser is great to deal with,but Cass has the best price on 8 3/4 center sections i've noticed..

I've never heard of anyone warrantying a race engine...but CME does.

I've never heard of anyone warrantying a race engine...but CME does.

My friend does he offers a 2 year warrantee..and he doesn't use any garbage parts a one man show,quality control is #1....

Damn Rick, did you hit the lottery...lol.

Any aftermarket complete rear will cost some big $$$. That said, Moser is as good as any.

Engine wise, what I've seen about Carolina is 50/50? I honestly would never just drop a crate engine in one of my cars without going thru it first & making sure everything is done right. The main reason I say that is, I did one years ago and the guy wanted a chrome oil pan on it. Well, during the swap, I found two rod bolts literally hand tight...Yikes.

I don't know whether this is a summer project or not and if this will be done near school or at home, but whether you decide to have one built on site or import a crate, I'd try and find a "good" shop to either build, or check out your new engine before you install it?

P.S. I should make it clear, the engine I spoke of above, was NOT from Carolina Engine Machine...

I've heard horror stories from local shops as well as "mass" shops. Here are some of the same questions I'd ask of any shop that wants to build a motor for me. (I do my own except machine work. I have a machine shop I've worked with for 30 years.)

1. Have you built this engine for a 19XX A-body Mopar? (Making sure we get the right oil pan, harmonic balancer, and front cover.)
2. Provide a list of references who have installed this motor combination in a XX Mopar?
3. Provide a dyno sheet for this combination tuned to run on the same octane fuel I intend to use in it.
4. What accessories will I need to purchase to have a running engine?
5. Is there a warranty, if so, how long and what conditions void it?
6. What sort of after sale support comes with the engine? (Tuning assistance, component selection?)

IMO, you are wise to ask here for opinions. Just be careful it isn't a CME or Blueprint guy responding (conflict of interest).

Can't speak to the crate motor, but when I called Dr. Diff about a custom width rear end (he prefers Strange) he pointed out that for about $400 more I could have a Strange 60. Guess which one I bought?!?

I wish that was the case Rick lol more of wide eyes for future plans haha. I hope to get one of these done this summer and then the other next summer or maybe winter. I went through several threads on here and heard more good then bad and most bad was from people who just say they wouldn't use a crate motor period. I know Carolina does dyno and break in their complete blocks before sending them and offer a standard 12,000 mile warranty or so. Haven't gotten around to calling them yet but when I do, definitely am going go through asking about every little part in the thing to see what exactly is going into it. As for builders near by, their is Lawson race engines and then pro engines, whom I personally know the owner (guy has a banging wagon, the thing is badass) I figured I'd also see what they'd want to build a 360 or bore out my 318 and I could build it from there. And I like that name lol "whatcha got for the rearend?" " the ssttrraannggee 60"

-
Back