Sway bar bracket clearance on driver side

-

Nico383

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I'm having trouble making the assembly of my pst sway bar.
I have two questions : do I plan to put the brackets in place in the good way? (pict 1)
The driver side bracket hits the radiator hose : did some of you already have this kind of issue?

IMG_0740_zpshm30rk2r.jpg

IMG_0741_zpsdx0vdsla.jpg

IMG_0742_zps3ewyxwl4.jpg

IMG_0744_zpsvurmbn9a.jpg

Cheers,

Nico from France.

Looking at that last pic - I hear ya... and I doubt there is a simple solution - either some fab work on the lower radiator hose or some fab work to make new mounting points for the sway bar... maybe brackets to move them both inward a bit?? It does look like a tough one.

That's not the normal angle of the frame bracket. The first pic is an aftermarket sway bar with the bracket that adapts the bushing to the angle of the k-member. The second pic is the factory frame bracket.
Sway bar 03.jpg
Sway bar 05.jpg

That is exactly how my old ADDCO bar fit. I did two things: I filed off the corner of the bracket, and wrapped a strip of heavy sheet copper around the hose as armor. Your hose outlet looks larger than standard, so I don't know if that will work for you. FYI, the Hellwig bar has brackets that fit totally to the underside of the K-frame -- they do not interfere with the hose at all. I find this arrangement works much better, and it is stronger to boot.

Jim, you are right for certain brands of bars. But PST and ADDCo fit exactly as he showed.

Those are the brackets on my son's bar above. They came with the package. I'd never mount one with just the angle bracket like the OP has. We did wind up welding them on, though.

I tried to use them but the bar I have interfered with the lower radiator support bar. Ended up making my own.

All right many thanks for this information guys. I managed to do something which is not perfect but will make the deal waiting for another set of brackets. I emailed hellwig to see if they sell their bracket set only, thank you mvh ;)

I keep you posted!

Nico

I tried to use them but the bar I have interfered with the lower radiator support bar. Ended up making my own.

Yeah, when a straight bar is mounted using those angle brackets, it interferes with that strap running forward to the valance (I wouldn't say it supports the radiator -- more like the license plate bracket). I solved that on my Addco bar by just adding a few washers under one end of the strap, but exact clearance probably varies a lot from car to car. Only Barracudas have this piece, so they probably test fit it on a Dart. The Hellwig bar clears the strap neatly.

Hello Nico,

Did you ever contact our customer service. I had provided you with Matt email the other day when you contacted us through facebook to aid in installation. I do notice that you are running a steel lower hose with a rubber coupler. That may be part of your interference issue as it not a tight enough bend for clearance.

Thanks
James

-
Back