Sway bar bushing install help needed.

-

Nathmu

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my issue at hand. I have removed my old sway bar bushing and cleaned everything and POR15 but having a big issue figuring out order of install and proper order. Cant find any videos of OEM install and my Chilton doesn't break it down enough for the order.
Last night I placed the bushings in the brackets and noticed that the end link is to damn large to have zero give to push on. That being said, once you get the bushing on the sway bar there isnt enough give to the brackets over the bushings. I'm sure someone here has an idea on how the hell this works. This is my first restoration project on anything and I don't have the best understanding on working on cars yet but getting there. There has to be a better way.

Roadranger O-ring lube.
or any hi-silicon based grease .
Bracket on bar(correctly oriented), then lubed bushing on bar, then lubed bracket over bushing; using brute force, levers and hammers, whatever works! If you do not have a very heavy bench and a real vise,Hire a strong helper.

Have you tried heating the bushings up in a toaster oven to 150° to make them more pliable???

The issue isnt that its to stiff its more trying to get a proper angle to get it to slide in. But from what I have read thus far, you have to muscle it in after bracket and bushing are put in the sway bar in that order. Good times. By far the most annoying thing I have done so far.

The easiest way to replace bushings in those sway bar brackets, is to cut the weld, and then bend the bracket back, a little bit, to install the new bushing.
Then clamp it back down, reweld, and your done.

That's the way lots of people get that job done.
Any other method is a big pain in the ***, prying, twisting, shoving, and most often doesn't work.
Good luck, your going to need it, if you don't cut the weld.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Attachments

• Sway Bar Brackets.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
I had the same problem. I ended up grinding off the welds, then install the bushing and weld back. You have to be careful not to get the bushing too hot and melt it. Have water close by to cool it quicky.

Put a Just Suspension bar on it that you can replace the bushings if needed...

-
Back