Sway bar help

-

dmaccons

Reaction score
hi guys!!
just looking for a little advise on which sway bar I can us on my 68 cuda.
I have 73 lower control arms (with tabs)with a stock 68 k-frame.I had a swaybar I was told should work but it looks like it is for a b-body I think.It definately won't work on an a-body.
Is there something I can get that will bolt on? I have looked at the Helwig stuff but it looks like welding would be necessary.The car is nearly complete and I really don't want to do any welding if don't have to.

Attachments

• IMG_2811.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 279
hi guys!!
just looking for a little advise on which sway bar I can us on my 68 cuda.
I have 73 lower control arms (with tabs)with a stock 68 k-frame.I had a swaybar I was told should work but it looks like it is for a b-body I think.It definately won't work on an a-body.
Is there something I can get that will bolt on? I have looked at the Helwig stuff but it looks like welding would be necessary.The car is nearly complete and I really don't want to do any welding if don't have to.

Yes, the 1973 to 1976 a body sway bar will bolt on..... if you swap to the 73 up K frame.

I didn't realize it went through the K frame. I always wondered why the took metal out of the K frame and now it has been answerd.

The later model sway bar wont work unless you are willing to cut holes in that 68 K so that bar threads through the middle of it. The earlier sway bar went around the K so your K doesn't have the openings. With the correct bar for your K the later model lower arms have the end link tabs in the wrong places.
Sorry

So am correct in assuming that the best thing would be to go with the proper sway bar for a 68 and change my lower control arms to 68's with tabs?
Just want to make sure I order the right stuff.I have access to the correct lca's for the year.

Just Suspension carries 5/8 and 7/8 rear sway bars for a-bodies that come with all the mounting hardware.

Talk to Dick at Firm Feel. If he doesn't have one already I'll bet he would make one for you. Explain to him what you have and what you're looking for.

Dave@Hellwig is a member here. PM him. The Hellwig stuff comes with mounting hardware also. uses a bracket on the lower shock bolt. I have Hellwigs front and rear on my 69 Cuda....great stuff!!!

So am correct in assuming that the best thing would be to go with the proper sway bar for a 68 and change my lower control arms to 68's with tabs?
Just want to make sure I order the right stuff.I have access to the correct lca's for the year.

I wouldn't go with the earlier sway bar. I surely wouldn't change lower arms for that bar. It is a long skinny weaker bar with long end links that contain lost motion. Its forward hangers are too low and get bent or bolt ears broken off. Should I continue ?
That bar interfears with later model disc brake assemblies too
I will assume you have that already. I dont know how you might have oriented those spindles/calipers.

The ultimate solutuion is a 73 up K member and the bar that goes through it.
My second choise would be some brand of aftermarket bar that will go around the 68 K and mounts at the shock bolts until the later K and bar come along.
Note; That bar might conflict with your disc brakes assemblies also.
If you could cut and weld on your 68 K so it resembles the later K and allows the later sway bar to pass through , you still forfeit the spool mounts provided by the later K.
Hope this helps

I wouldn't go with the earlier sway bar. I surely wouldn't change lower arms for that bar. It is a long skinny weaker bar with long end links that contain lost motion. Its forward hangers are too low and get bent or bolt ears broken off. Should I continue ?
That bar interfears with later model disc brake assemblies too
I will assume you have that already. I dont know how you might have oriented those spindles/calipers.

The ultimate solutuion is a 73 up K member and the bar that goes through it.
My second choise would be some brand of aftermarket bar that will go around the 68 K and mounts at the shock bolts until the later K and bar come along.
Note; That bar might conflict with your disc brakes assemblies also.
If you could cut and weld on your 68 K so it resembles the later K and allows the later sway bar to pass through , you still forfeit the spool mounts provided by the later K.
Hope this helps

I would have to disagree here, at least in part. I have the Hellwig front bar on my son's '68 Dart, with '68 k-member, '73 LCA's and '73 calipers with 11-3/4 rotors. The calipers are mounted to the rear, as it appears yours are based on the dust shields in your photo. I dont' know if the Hellwig bar would fit around the tabs on your LCA's (our LCA's don't have the tabs), but you can use the supplied tabs that mount on the lower shock bolts if they do (contact Hellwig for that answer). The mounting points on the bar ARE low and forward, but no lower than the k-member, and as long as you aren't in the habit of pulling up tight to the curb when you park, you're not going to hit them (you only do that once to learn that lesson..... guess how I know..). As far as the bar being skinny or weak, its a 1-1/8 inch piece of chromoly steel, so you be the judge. Theoretically it'll flex on the long arms, yes, but I seriously doubt that makes any difference at all on anything but an all-out track car. On the street its certainly unnoticeable.

Sure, the later k-member is probably the best solution, but how bad do you want to take the whole front suspension apart....?

Here's the bar on our Dart (Mt. Dew can for height reference):

Attachments

• DSCN1499-s.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 233
""Long skinny weak bar, easily damaged forward mounts"" all applied to the MA Mopar OEM bar for the car.
I'd be willing to bet this owner has his calipers in the 73 correct forward positions today.
Would you have him undo and redo a large percentage of his work for a aftermarket bar ?
I did too, as an option only.

""Long skinny weak bar, easily damaged forward mounts"" all applied to the MA Mopar OEM bar for the car.
I'd be willing to bet this owner has his calipers in the 73 correct forward positions today.
Would you have him undo and redo a large percentage of his work for a aftermarket bar ?
I did too, as an option only.

Just providing another possble route to take..... no offense intended.

Since your tabs are inboard of the strut rods, they will not interfere with our sway bar for 67-72 A-Body applications. The tabs we provide in our kit will bolt to your shock bolts so welding will not be required. The sway bar works best if the calipers are mounted toward the rear. If your calipers are mounted forward of the spindle, you will have clearance issues.

thanks for all the info guys.....this site is great!!!

Dave,
I will call you in the next couple days to discuss.

I have the 55906 bar with shortened end links, factory tabs and frt mounted calipers. No issues at all. Been on there over a year...maybe 2k miles? Combined with the adjustable rear bar.....who says BB a-bodies can't go around corners?!!

-
Back