Sway Bar Install !!!!

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Today I installed the sway bar in my Dart.
I used the factory 7/8" bar, and ordered a trick set of Energy Suspension polly sway bar adapters. These adapters bolt to the factory holes on the k-fram. 1 additional hole on each side is drilled. These also have a zirc fitting to keep them greased. Very happy with how it turned out,and would highly reccomend them.

I also included a pic of the factory mounts. Energy Suspension also has the triangular bushings for them. Pop the bushing in,bend the metal bracket back down, re-weld.

Bracket/bushing number for 7/8" bar.....5.5134G.....$45.00

Got mine from.... www.suspension.com

Bruce is his name, nice guy.

faucet pics 651.jpg

faucet pics 646.jpg

faucet pics 649.jpg

faucet pics 644.jpg

that looks nice im about to do a sway install on a 1970 dart.

Looks like it will work a lot better than some I have seen. Looks like your car is coming together very nicly for you there Johnny. Nice work so far!

Looks good.

One thing I don't understand if those are zerk, putting them in the line of fire. They could mount them on the backside of the brakcets, Less likely to take a hit there.

They look very nice! I have a question about the zerk also. Is there a hole in the poly bushing for the grease to get to the sway bar? Without it you would only grease the poly to the bracket, not the sway bar to the poly...
C

Looks good.

One thing I don't understand if those are zerk, putting them in the line of fire. They could mount them on the backside of the brakcets, Less likely to take a hit there.

(Line of fire) Thought the same thing after the install. Was thinking about taking them out,put in dummy screws,and then putting them back in for greasing.

They look very nice! I have a question about the zerk also. Is there a hole in the poly bushing for the grease to get to the sway bar? Without it you would only grease the poly to the bracket, not the sway bar to the poly...
C

Yes,there is a hole directly in line with the fitting. I greased them and grease only comes out between the bar and bushing.

does any one know where you can buy the brackets that are welded to the control arm (?) the two side rods that are bolted to the sway bar bolt there

my dart didnt have a sway bar originally and its missing it.

thanks

You can build a couple of L brackets out of some 1/4" steel. Then bolt them to the bottom shock bolt. This is how I had them on my car before I got the lower contol arms with SB brackets.I tried finding some pics of my car this way but couldnt find them.

(Line of fire) Thought the same thing after the install. Was thinking about taking them out,put in dummy screws,and then putting them back in for greasing.

I would do that. I ran a sway bar adapter setup like that on my 68 Barracuda for 5 or so years and my sway bushing brackets got scraped. The adapter puts the sway bar slightly lower that stock. And even stock most of them are all banged and smashed up. I switched to a 73-76 setup 10 years ago.

Also, you could mount the zerks in the rear like crackedback suggested. Just drill a hole through the poly mount to feed grease to the bar.

Johnny Dart, the car in coming alone very nice. =P~ Hope to see it at Spring Fling or sooner.

I would do that. I ran a sway bar adapter setup like that on my 68 Barracuda for 5 or so years and my sway bushing brackets got scraped. The adapter puts the sway bar slightly lower that stock. And even stock most of them are all banged and smashed up. I switched to a 73-76 setup 10 years ago.

Also, you could mount the zerks in the rear like crackedback suggested. Just drill a hole through the poly mount to feed grease to the bar.

Johnny Dart, the car in coming alone very nice. =P~ Hope to see it at Spring Fling or sooner.

If you really think about it,what does a zirk fitting cost .50 cents.8)
If they get banged up I can just install new ones.
In retrospect it isnt the best spot to place them though.

Trying to make the Fling, but dont want to rush it as this point.
Will see what happens.
Hopefully will get a chance to meet you,if I already havent.
Take care.
John

Bear in mind the center bushing and shell are a universal piece sold on physical dimensions. While a rear zerk might be best for our applications, it might put the zerk in an unreachable location for anther application, so they put it smack dab in the middle to fit the most applications they can...

It would be fairly easy to plug the exising, and drill and tap for a rear mount, if needed.

Just got off the phone with David Wheeler of Helwig. He sells sway bar adapter like the ones picture also.

Helwig will have a Midway spot at Spring Fling this year with their new adjustable rear sway bars and new tubular front sway bars !! 8)

So you guys can see, touch, feel, and buy this stuff in person. :cheers:

They might have their prototype rear E-body factory style above rear end mount rear sway bar on display too.

Update: I took the zirk fittings off and put in some 3/16" plastic plugs. They fit perfect. If I need to re-grease I can pop them out and put the zirk in.

Also painted the brackets the color of the bar,looks more factory. I also got some factory correct sway bar end bolts/bushings..

faucet pics 728.jpg

I have no useful info for you, just wanted to tell you what a beautiful job you're doing on your Dart. I thought I did a nice job on my Duster but it's a mutt compared to yours.

I have no useful info for you, just wanted to tell you what a beautiful job you're doing on your Dart. I thought I did a nice job on my Duster but it's a mutt compared to yours.

Thanks for the compliment.
Not so sure if I will ever get this far into a car again. Lots of money and lots of time to build this car.Besides that I will probably be a worry wart evertime I drive/park it. Next car will probably be flat black primer, with a nice motor and suspension. ;-)

Thanks again.
John

-
Back