Sway bar question

-

DragginMAster

Reaction score
I tried to look and see if this had already been asked and answered or not but I had no luck, so please do not shoot me if I missed something.

here be the question. I have a 68 dart and am in the progress of upgrading the front brakes to disc by using the parts from a 74 donor dart. I want to put a sway bar on the car, but when I do, will i need to use one for a 68 dart or a 74?

Ok here we go,let me see if I can explain this.

First of all you can't use a 73 76 sway bar because if goes through the k-frame.In the perfect world you would have a 73-76 k-frame,sway bar and lower control arms to go with your 73-76 brakes.Dont see you swapping out the k-frame.
so...
You have to use the early a-body sway bar,the problem with this is you will encounter interference between the sway bar and the 73-76 disc brake caliper.The caliper is on the front of the rotor on 73-76,66-72 are on the rear.
So you can switch the spindles/calipers on opposite sides of the vehicle,which would position the calipers to the rear of the vehicle.Doing this will not affect suspenssion geometry at all.If you chose this route,however,you will need to pay particularly close attention to the brake hoses to be sure they do not rub the tires or suspension during suspension travel,or when turning..Mopar performance offers a selection of hoses in various lenghts.....PHEW........

You could also give a after market bar a go.

I always suggest this book,great for all the swaps for our cars with all the answers,a must,get it!!!!!!

Chrysler Performance Upgrades by Frank Adkins

Take care

is that book easily gotten? *goes to check out amazon*

Thansk for the answer. Is there a specific aftermarket one that comes highly recommended from the guys who know?

You can also shorten the end links for sway bar/caliper clearance and run a stock bar.

That is what I did with my end links.Shortened them a little over 1".
Much better ground clearance as well.

Picture 232.jpg

Draginmaster,there is a guy on e-bay selling addco bars for a killer price.

Just shorten the spacer or end links which ever you wanna call them. I took mine out completely with out any side effect. Car handled a hole lot better with the sway bar for sure. Cheapest and simpliest solution either shorten the spacers/endlinks or take them out.

Shorten em up. Worked for me, I run an aftermarket bar ment for a 70-72, on my 73, as you can see in my picture. Just takes some messing with it to get it right. I also had to build my own front crossmember mounts to make it work though, little bit of creative metal work and some welding.

thanks for your help guys, so much nocer to have a place to come now to ask questions and have a pool of experience to get lots of different ideas and perspectives.

Yep, there's always a way to make just about anything work. You can even order the wrong bar and kludge together some way to slap it on there if you want.

-
Back