Swedge Cutting

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am doing the scarebird brake swap on the 70 dart and have gotten everything torn down to the spindles. I noticed my drums are swedged onto the hubs, but can't find anyone in town with a swedge cutter.

So I had a few thoughts. I was thinking about getting a carbide tiped hole saw and cutting around the studs, through the drum, hopefully leaving me with just the hub and the studs. (Going to scrap the drums, just need the hubs)

Then cutting off the studs below the swedge and pressing them out.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance!

X2 on the cutting head off from the back.
I looked for one also, $80.00 for the cutter wasn't going to work for me.
so I drilled a pilot hole about 1/2 inch deep and then follower up with a larger drill until it was easy to knock off the top (head) of the stud. and hammered out the remains through to the front that way if someone needs (9 inch) decent drums to replace their drum stuff with I have it for them and the backing plates too! tool a bit of drilling but saved me 80.00 for the tool I'd only use a couple of times

I've been known to use "brute force"

We used to just press the hub out of the drum. After all you are tossing the drum

Then find a file which as a smooth narrow edge rather than a "file" edge, and spend a few minutes cleaning up each swedge

One of the guys here advocated dropping the drum/ hub on a hard flat surface, which drives the hub out of the drum.

I've never understood why the factory went to such trouble to swedge them. After all the rear ones aren't on newer axles.

You can buy a good hole saw for metal from about any local hardware store i bought mine for about $8 or $9 dollars and then just cut the top edge of the swedge down to the surface of the drum. If you don't go too far this will not damage the drum. Then run the lug nut on just about even with the end of the stud, hit it straight on with a brass hammer and the studs will usually come out without pressing. This way the hub, drum and studs will not be damaged. You may still need to press the hub from the drum but if done carefully and correctly it will not damage either of them

Moparts is right...........any GOOD quality hole saw will work on metal. You need the slowest speed you can come up with on your drill press. Some "wood" presses are not slow enough, and no 3/8 hand held drill is slow enough

Use LOTS of oil

I cut some large (don't remember 1 1/2, 2"??) holes through some 1/2" plate steel years ago. It took awhile and I used lots of oil.

I think I am going to drill off the heads from the hub side. Do I need any special type of drill bit to do this?

Carbide?

Thanks

-
Back